Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is going to the Seattle Boat show in January?

Default Who is going to the Seattle Boat show in January?

Thinking of going, not in the market for a new boat, but love to look at em. And, there are lots of seminars, any experienced opinions with those? Best thing would be to meet and talk with forum members, lotsa stories and learning that way! Always see some good new stuff at the vendors too...

I've thought of going down for it, maybe this year. Whats the dates ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Jan 24 - Feb 02
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

Go to the Boat Show, then the Sportsman show in Puyallup
    http://www.thesportshows.com/wss/

Great Falls Montana and Coffman Cove Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Rock knocker View Post
    Go to the Boat Show, then the Sportsman show in Puyallup
    http://www.thesportshows.com/wss/

I will be at the boat show. Arriving on Tuesday and departing Friday. Would like to meet up with forum members.

Default Seattle Boat Show

I am headed up Monday and returning Friday. Would love to meet some other members.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Steve: would be great to see you there, are you thinking of being a vendor or just visiting?

Coffman and Ebbtide: would be great to meet up with you. Still making a plan here, may go on the 24th and home on the 26 if my buddy that is still working goes, otherwise me and another guy will like go during the week like you two, probably go Monday the 27th and home Thursday the 30th.

Rock Knocker: Sportsmans Show looks a lot like the Bighorn Show in Spokane in March, probably do that one, I want to spend as much time as possible at the boat show this time...

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Steve: would be great to see you there, are you thinking of being a vendor or just visiting?

Coffman and Ebbtide: would be great to meet up with you. Still making a plan here, may go on the 24th and home on the 26 if my buddy that is still working goes, otherwise me and another guy will like go during the week like you two, probably go Monday the 27th and home Thursday the 30th.

Rock Knocker: Sportsmans Show looks a lot like the Bighorn Show in Spokane in March, probably do that one, I want to spend as much time as possible at the boat show this time...
    Just a visitor Ron. I'm sure there are enough guys building/selling pots down there

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Great Falls Montana and Coffman Cove Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Just a visitor Ron. I'm sure there are enough guys building/selling pots down there
    Someone sent me a PM however I was not able to retrieve it. My error. At any rate I will be at the Seattle boat show on January 28th, 29th and 30th. Jake Tuck 406-868-8314. Would certainly like to get together with other forum members. Have a happy new year!

I sent you a PM Jake, hope it works. I will see you there, and Marvin from Ebbtide Charters will be there too. Hope some others come too, hopefully Steve the Potbuilder, it would be a hoot to follow him around and listen to him critique boats

I think I will walk thru! Glen

We're going for a couple days with the family 1/29-2/2 (won't be at the show the WHOLE time). I'm looking forward to seeing the new Ocean Sport 26'!

Just a heads up...Boat show will close 2/1 (open that day but closed 2/2) if the Seahawks make the Superbowl, that was posted on the boatshow website yesterday...

Much to learn and much to see at the Seattle boat show. AOD was well represented. Great meeting everybody and safe travels to all. From left to right in the picture Tony ( new member recruit) Ebbtide-Marvin, Dale(new member recruit),

Coffman Cove-jake, and Cap'n Ron-Ron.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Post some pictures of the boats from the show please

Sobie2

Seattle Boat Show was sure a great time made better by spending a lot of that time with Ebbtide-Marvin and CoffmanCove-Jake and the new guys. Notice how many beers Marvin has before him? Now, I have no idea why they put my "Super Snowcap 9%" in a girly glass! Lot of stories told at that table! good fishing tips too.

Well, I didn't take but one boat picture but sure had a lot of time on and around a bunch of them. The Lake Union floating show of used yatches (buy a YATCH...Monoply game card) was amazing, especially some of the older classic yacht's and some of the new ones of the same make that still looked classic. Then there were the modern yachts that looked like an AMC Gremlin with their bubble windows and overstyled lines. Prices from mid 60's to over 5 million. The best thing was seeing the amazing quality of the materials and especially the craftmanship of the cabin interiors. Wish some of those guys made furniture and I could afford it! Most furniture these days, even the high-end stuff, is designed to be mass-produced.

I managed not to get "2-foot itis" but saw some really nice fishing boats. Closest I came to envy was looking at Coffman Cove' s (Jake) new Duckworth Offshore Pilothouse (or one like it), but I can watch it being built in Clarkston, WA; also the Hewescraft Pacific Explorer 26' was just a bit nicer than my own HC Alaskan 26'. I managed to sell one of those P-explorers to some guys that also were looking at an Armstrong and a Kingfisher. Wasn't hard, they noticed the same things I did on those two boats: Both looked great at first glance but the welding left MUCH to be desired, the Armstrong (Glaciercraft wannabe) had the worst welding I have ever seen (nope I am not a welder), major inconsistency with blobs and near gaps where you could see the weld was hastily rubbed over while hot to fill them, and rough spots and edges all over, you could get lots of cuts if you just ran a finger over any of their seams or rails. Also there were places where it appeared that they did some careless grinding along the seams, leaving hills and valleys. Once I saw this all over the hull (NOT in one or a few places, everywhere) I didn't look further. For the Kingfishers, they looked great and appears to have fine fit and finish, until I looked under the chine and saw that the top and hull appears to be welded as two large pieces fitting together, and there were weld gaps you could see light through---and I presume water would get into interior hull as well. Well, I've been guilty as others commenting on the fit and finish of a Hewes Alaskan, and there are a few things to notice there inside, but after looking at these two much more expensive boats, hats off to HC for great welding and all exterior hull fit and finish!

Spent a LOT of time with tech reps. We were there during the week and that is the only time to attend this event, no crowds; I was in the market for a gps/sounder upgrade and ended up buying Furuno (good advice all you charter and commercial guys that suggested this!). 1870F with a 1KW transducer and C-Maps chip. Can't wait to get it out on the water. Of all the brands with factory reps there, I was so impressed with Steve at Furuno. Spent maybe 4 hours total with him, and learned so much. Now I know so much more about interpreting the screen on my sounder and what all the features do...and about how you don't buy a Mercedes and then put cheapo tires on it (like a cheapo transducer on your new sounder!). Nope, I got steered away from any thru-hull transducer for my aluminum boat that I beach regularly, went with a transom mount.

Enough, if I can re how to get my phone pictures on Photobucket, I will post a few. But the picture Marvin posted above at the Pyramid Brewpub next to my hotel (Silvercloud right next to the Stadium/Event Center) shows guys with over 300 collective years of experience fishing, and nearly that long choosing good beers

I went to the boat show in Seattle this year, as well. My first time. A friend is retiring from the Air Force and moving back to Alaska. We were hoping the Seattle Boat Show was going to provide one-stop shopping to see LOTS of big aluminum boats, and that just wasn't the case. There were a few, but not nearly as many as I'd hoped.

We did have a lot of fun looking at the big boats at the docks, and we took a tour of the 130-ft Westport yacht. At $21.5M a copy, why not have two?

We were there for the final weekend of the show, so we did get the added perk of seeing Seattle primed and ready for the Super Bowl, and they let us boat show patrons go out onto playing field. That was pretty cool.

Default Sand Sculpture at Boat Show

Dan...wish we hadn't missed each other at the show, we all went home the day before you got there. I agree on the aluminum boats, and most of those that were there were small. There was one steel boat custom built that was pretty interesting, only $1.3M. Did you see the sand sculpture being done while at the show, must have been nearly finished when you got there. Here is a photo of it on Day 6, Wednesday:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is the the sand sculpture, as we saw it:

Here is a view of the bridge of that 130-footer….definitely roughing it:

I did take some photos to borrow some ideas for future mods and projects on our own boat. I found a couple of rod holders that I liked. These were a set of bolt-on rocket launchers that I thought looked particularly useful. You can never have too many rod holders, so I really liked the offset, double-row design. If someone had been selling these, I would have went home with a couple sets!

This was a clever set of rod holders on the side of the cabin, useful and very attractive. I like how they got the bends in the tubing to match the lines of the cabin. Very well done, IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast