Thread: Neighborhoods to avoid for family residence from Anchorage to Wasilla

Default Neighborhoods to avoid for family residence from Anchorage to Wasilla

I asked a question in this forum a few weeks ago about commute times, but want to make sure I did not make the same mistake twice about moving into the wrong neighborhoods. I lived in Fairbanks for a very short time while stationed at Fort Wainwright, but did not do much research on neighborhoods because I was relocating from Germany and ended up on 21st Ave in South Cushman area. The first weekend there 3 people were shot 200 yds from my front door so I decided to find somewhere else shortly afterward. I would like to avoid this type of experience again by avoiding those types of neighborhoods in my next move. Does anyone have any locations that they would try to avoid when looking for a house for a family with 2 small children.
    Thank you,
    Anthony

Here's a excellent map that will guide you well regarding past citations: http://crimemap.muni.org/

There's some old advice that isn't completely bad advice and that is to avoid any location with the word "view" in its name.

Are you working on base? If so, consider Eagle River as a family friendly option. Otherwise look to avoid Mountain View and Fairview and to a lesser degree the area between Muldoon and Boniface Parkway. Lots of great people in all of these neighborhoods, but there's no getting around the fact that they have somewhat higher crime rates.

In Anchorage the violent crime rate north of Tudor is about triple what it is south of Dimond but there are neighborhoods on each side that don't fit the generalization. As far as I know all of Eagle River is good.

Sent from my Obama phone while eating EBT lobster.

South Anchorage, Eagle River and the trunk road to Hyer road area (Gateway area) of the valley are all on my short list of places to live. All have pros and cons. S. ANC will be smaller lots and expensive but closer to most shopping and jobs. Eagle river; potential for more land but still spendy and likely a longer commute depending on where you work. Gateway offers potential for great views and more land. Property ranges from reasonable to expensive with 1acre lots common and 2-5 acre lots intermixed. Basic groceries are available close by but the commute is significant, especially if you don't have a flexible work schedule that will let you commute outside of rush hour traffic.

There are also nice areas eastside between Muldoon and the mountains.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Whether still military or not, Adele who assists with off post housing for Soldiers on JBER would be worth a call. If you need the number let me know. She referred me to a realtor who sold me a house 3 years ago in Anchorage and then help my wife get a job. There is also something called a preferred tenant program (I think thatís what itís called), which landlords apply to through base.

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Are you working on base? If so, consider Eagle River as a family friendly option. Otherwise look to avoid Mountain View and Fairview and to a lesser degree the area between Muldoon and Boniface Parkway. Lots of great people in all of these neighborhoods, but there's no getting around the fact that they have somewhat higher crime rates.
    This is very good advice.

There are small trailer parks all over town, as well as a few large ones. You will want to confirm that any place you are looking at is more than two blocks away from one, and that there is not a conveince store/gas station within several blocks of your house. These stores drive a huge amount of foot traffic. People on foot at all times of the day and night result in sporadic issues for nearby home owners. Use Google maps or Earth to do your research. Small parks with single wides would warrant more concern. This is an indicator of an economic status one level above living in a tent in the woods. You will also want to avoid homes adjacent to large apartment complexes. Some of these complexes are at or just above the economic status of a single wide trailer.

And be ready to see drunk beggers at every major intersection, sometimes multiple ones at each corner
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Another idea is to pull the local school report card. This report card breaks down a school by demographics. Very helpful in determining the makeup of an area. You may also want to look into the registered sex offender database. Good luck with your search. Before you sign a lease drive through neighborhood at different hours. Before school after school at night. Gives you a feel for the area.

I appreciate all the responses to this thread. It is helping my wife and I in identifying locations to avoid and narrowing our search areas. I only wish I was moving sooner than a year from now. Can't wait to escape New York state and come back to a place where we feel like we belong.

I wouldn't say that all of Eagle River is great, I'd avoid the area between the Old and New Glenn between the two Glenn offramps, and from what I've heard some of the areas around Homestead Elemntary can be a bit sketchy. It wouldn't hurt to check the states sex offender registry to see if there are any registered sex offenders near any houses you're considereing.

It looks like we might finally be moving to S Anchorage from Eagle River after 17 years in ER. It's not that ER is a bad area, but every year the commute takes more and more of my time, all of our activities are either in Anchorag or S of Anchorage and having an extra 1/2 hour to hour per day is very appealing. But it's taken us alot of searching to figure out what we wanted, and to finally find it.

Honestly I've found the prices between ER and Anchorage for similar homes to have pretty much equalized over the years, the big caveat is you can't always find the same types of homes in both locations. If you're looking for a smaller home with a decent size yard, then ER is pretty much your only option, unless you want a 70's home in Anchorage that needs a tremendous amount of updating, and you really don't want that. Which drives you towards homes that are 3000 sq ft+ and $500k and up.

If you want a 1/2 acre or larger lot in Anchorage you can find that on the Hillside, but it'll either be old and in need of alot of work, or a large house. I've only seen a few decent houses smaller than 2700 sq ft on the hillside, and they literally sold the day after they listed. The way the housing market is now, if a home is on the market more than a month or so it's either because the seller is asking too much, or the house has issues.

If you're working on base, I'd say Eagle River is the best place to live in terms of a reasonable commute and generally nice neighborhoods. The schools are good and there are great trails nearby for hiking or X-C skiing.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

There's lots of great places to live between Anchorage and Wasilla. If you'd like, you can give me a call, 947-3829 and I'll assist you any way that I can. Adele Daniels is a great source of knowledge as she's worked very close with the local schools for the past few years. Not sure if her title is "school liaison" but I'll find out for you. I work in the real estate industry so I'm in and out of the different neighborhoods weekly. Give me a all and we can discuss your needs and I'll do what I can to point you in the right direction. Doug