Thread: Chena Hot Springs Rd. Campsite / ATV Trails?

Default Chena Hot Springs Rd. Campsite / ATV Trails?

Just wondering if anyone has any info on the area. Are the trails very good? Is it a decent place to camp at, does it ever get really crowded or anything?

http://www.blm.gov/ak/whitemountains/trails.htm

I'm headed up that way next week. This is all I got.
    Live life now, or forever wish you did!

Default Chena, not White Mountains

Actually it is the Chena State Rec Area, the White Mountains is farther north off of the Steese Hwy. I have been up there also and it looked pretty promising, but there were a lot of campers on Chena Hot Springs Rd this past weekend and LOTS of ATV trails. I had a message that says there are trails off of a campsite at Mile 35 that go back for 30 miles +. Either place would be really fun, I just wanted to go a little closer to home.

Default There is a new trail

There is a new ATV trail at around 25 mile. It is called the Compau trail and it is designed for ATV use. It goes back to a cabin and loops back to CHSR. It is a good one day trail and ties into other trails. I plan on riding there soon and will update when I know more.

The atv trails are pretty good, you might want to find a trail map and take it with you. I recommend carrying a GPS and mark any bridge that you cross. I know the Colorado creek trail is pretty nice, but normally pretty muddy for the first few miles. For the most part, there are trail markers, but I was with a group of guys in early june when I first got up here and part of the trail was all water...I don't know how deep it got, but we ended up making our own trail through higher ground. We had already been through too much to turn around. Most of the trails go to cabins up there. For the most part, the trails and riding is pretty good...a winch is a must though.

ob
    Your talking about the Stiles creek trail that also goes up colorado creek. That's a nice ride.

Here's info on the area and a few pics of the wife and I a couple years ago. After you go through the mudholes you can get in the higher country.

http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/units/chena/

Yes, Stiles is the one I was thinking of...that is a nice trail. A little rough in some spots because of the roots through the trail, but the stiles cabin is a nice place to stop and relax for a few. Here are a few pics of one of my trips that we ended up getting lost on and spending the night. We thought that we were on a trail, but it just disappeared. Shortly after that it started getting dark...(was a september trip). This first one was a buddy of mine...we had to make a trail through the trees since we could not make it back up through the big hole that was in the middle of the trail. I almost went over my handlebars when we were heading out.

The rest of these are just scenery shots. I do have stuck shots if anyone wants to see them.

Last edited by ob_1jr; 06-03-2007 at 01:29.

Here are a couple more shots.

This last photo is the group up on top of one of the taller hills out there. IIRC is was bout 3500ft.

Great pics! Lots of good mudholes around there plus highcounty crusin.

There are quite a few in the area.
    Rose Hip is definitely one of them.
    There is another one that actually travels from Chena Hot Spgs Rd to Steese.
    Not sure how long you plan to ATV for, though? The second one could be an all day adventure.
    Are you in the Fairbanks area?

Default Chena to Steese

Hey COtoAK,

Where is that trail between the Chena and Steese that sounds like a good ride. Have you done it? Any info would be great.

byrd

Default Chena trail's update

Hey all,

A friend and I were just up there over the last week and we road the Compau trail which starts out just a mile or so up the highway from RoseHip camp ground. It was very nice. It's a 10 mile, dozer cut, trail up and over a few ridges. On the end of the trail at the top of the 3rd ridge, it meets up with another, freshly cut, dozer trail the leads Two Rivers School 14 miles to the west. Then 8.3 miles to the East, back down to the Colorado Creek cabin. Somewhere around 5 miles in from the start is another sign headced back to the Two Bears camp ground ?

Very nice ride. We did try the Stiles trail, but it was major water all the way up, with not to many options getting around at the time.

We heard from RoseHip host Joe, that the Colorado trail from the highway was also full of water so we didn't even attempt. He was also working with the community and the state to make 4 wheeler access to these trail directly from the RoseHip camp ground

Dave

Default 2 more pix form the top of Compau

Looking west

Looking east

Those must be the firelines they cut over the last couple years. Looks like we'll have to go check them out. I've ridden the Stiles creek trail quite a few times. That's a fun ride.

Snyd,

They were cut fresh this year. You can tell from the Cat tracks. I beleive they were intended for ATV use and snowmachine use. If you can find out more, I'd lover to hear about it.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by AKLoser View Post
    Snyd,

They were cut fresh this year. You can tell from the Cat tracks. I beleive they were intended for ATV use and snowmachine use. If you can find out more, I'd lover to hear about it.

Dave
    I think that originally they were firelines that were cut when we had major fires a couple years ago. I looks like they have since designated them as them as public trails. That would explain the cat work and shiny new signs. I have a friend who has some "remote" property in that neck of the woods and is able to head up the trail behind Two Rivers school and gets him very close. He's happy about the access. I guess some folks aren't to happy about it. I need to go up there and ride now that I've seen your pics.

Perry

Rode the trails with the wife yesterday. They have done a nice job with the Compau trail. Snyd, I am almost positive those trails were made for Atv/snowmachine use. Pretty sure they were not for fire use originaly. The trails are little ways from the fires that were in the area. Also if they were fire lines there would of been signs of burnout operations, and I could see none. And we were able to see for miles & miles all around us.
    Now the trail at the end of compau trail that leads to twin bears school could of been cut for that reason because it was cut way wider , but still no burnout areas that we saw. It was a nice ride, with some great views.
    Trail going to twin bears mt./camp got pretty sloppy towards the bottom. But nowhere close to as sloppy as the Stiles trail loop is. Don't forget to say thanks to those trail workers . They are all volunteers except for 1 that is in charge of upkeeping all the trail systems. Enjoy.

Default Compeau trail

The trail from CHSR to the Tee is about 10 miles and was engineered for ATVs/ Horses/Bikes etc. The trails heading East and West ARE firelines cut for the Wolf creek fire 3 years ago. The firebreaks follow the ridges for miles to the North and East but the trail ends. Snyd, you are correct.

So it sounds like they tied into the firelines with the new (Compau?) trail huh. Cool, I need to go up there and check it out. Having a mix of lowland bog and ridge running makes for great riding.

Default Type of ATV/UTV

My wife drives a Kawasaki Mule 3010 Trans. Are any of these trails wide enough for a machine like that? not much ground clearance on one of those either.