Thread: Today's Haul.

Default Today's Haul.

Here are some rock scallops I got on todays dive. I was hoping for more than this, but diving uncharted ground this is all I was able to produce. I'm still happy with it! Lighter was added to show size. Biggest one was 8.5''.

IMG_1306.jpgIMG_1307.jpg

One more pic of scallop meat from the large one.IMG_1308.jpg

How much visibility is there? How long do you stay down?

It was low tide, so the scallops were only about 10-15 feet below the surface of the water. Visibility this time of year is great, maybe 75ft. Saw a fair amount of abalone, rockfish, and sea lions. I was only diving for about 10-20 minutes at a time as I was checking out numerous new locations. I'm diving with a hookah setup, not free diving.

What part of the state?

I'm in northern southeast Alaska.

Looks awesome. Hell of a hobby you got there.

They must be old scallops with all that growth on the shell ?? The ones i used to see were always nice and clean.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    They must be old scallops with all that growth on the shell ?? The ones i used to see were always nice and clean.
    These are pretty typical looking for rock scallops here in southeast, they are masters of camouflage and lots of times you can only see them by their orange 'lips' in the front. Maybe you're thinking of weathervanes? I caught some Pink Scallops and Spiny Scallops down here this fall, they were nice and clean and had pink/white shells and were free-swimming, but they were only 3" in diameter. I've never seen a weathervane down here yet. These rock scallops I have to bring a large knife just to pry them from the rocks. I'm not really sure on how to age scallops, I'll have to ask next time I stop into ADFG.

Do the sealions bother you?

Nah, they are my underwater friends! The pups and the females will swim up to you and act very curious and playful. The big males will just cruise by all slow trying to look intimidating. Of course, they are awfully big, especially under water. I have had up to 6-7 diving around me at a time.

Holy cow! That's a good haul! I've been aching to try something similar, but am not in a situation to get the set-up. I presume you use a drysuit?

Yeah, I have a DUI CF200 drysuit, love it. I was diving on my hookah rig on that dive, not tanks. I prefer it over tanks honestly. Unlimited air, and safer since I dive with a pony bottle. I've been anxious to get back in the water and dive on some King Crab.

What does the hookah rig setup consist of. Don't know much about diving.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.--Benjamin Franklin

My hookah rig is a Compressor set up. It consists of a Honda GX160 motor driving two belt driven oil-less air compressor pumps. Those pumps feed an expansion tank which bleeds off constantly at 80psi. The tank is connected to 180ft of dive hose that goes down to my regulator. Surface supplied air. I dive with a pony bottle (small scuba tank) for backup in the rare case of a compressor failure. I'de rather dive my compressor over tanks any day. The draw back is that it takes up more room in my skiff, and it's more equipment to set up, vs. just throwing a tank on your back. I'll try and post a picture of my setup soon.