View Poll Results: Moose loads

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • 250 grain Nosler partitions (Federal)

23 62.16%
  • 225 grain Swift safari grade "A" frames (Remington)

14 37.84%

Thread: 250 gr Noslers or 225 gr A frames on moose

Default 250 gr Noslers or 225 gr A frames on moose

I must have 15-20 boxes of various 338 Win mag loads. For this years moose hunt, I have narrowed it down to 2 choices:

250 grain Nosler partitions (Federal factory loads)

Or

225 grain Swift safari grade A frames. (Remington factory loads)

I'm leaning heavily on the 250 gr Noslers, primarly from an energy standpoint, but thought I see what you gents would say about the 225 gr "A" frames in comparison. Curious of the bullet constructions and performance properties.

Nice problem to have, huh?

I'd pick the one that shoots best in your rifle. Moose won't know the difference between them.

I am partial to the heavier one, but a 225-Aframe is a a great bullet. I good compromise for me is a 225-grain TSX for everything in Alaska, but I still prefer a 250-grain TSX to all other bullets. The A-Frame is very accurate from my rifle, but they don't shoot as fast as the TSX and even Nosler. Maybe there is more rifling/bullet contact with the A-Frame than other bullets?

Default Bullet

A good 250 grain bullet out of the .338 Win. Mag. My first choice for 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'd pick the one that shoots best in your rifle. Moose won't know the difference between them.
    Exactly!The moose will die from both those bullets if you place the shot in the right place,Shotplacment is key
    Choose the bullet that shoots best in your rifle

Good points - they'll both sufice in killing, true. Just wondered if anyone here had recovered one or the other in say an anchoring shoulder type shot.

Quote Originally Posted by svehunter View Post
    Exactly!The moose will die from both those bullets if you place the shot in the right place,Shotplacment is key
    Choose the bullet that shoots best in your rifle
    I agree with these guys... But for what it's worth the factory Federal 250 gr Nosler Partitions is the most accurate factory ammo I've shot out of my Sako AV in 338 Win

Both of those bullets are overbuilt for moose.
    My personal preference is the Partition and it's what I use in my '06 for moose.
    I've never recovered one. They've always left innies and outies on critters.
    Now what ?

Another vote for the Noslers.

Easy choice for me and that's the Swift A-Frame. A better bullet in my opinion, but noting wrong, either, with the time-tested Nosler Partition. Both are outstanding bullets.

!977 Ruger M77 .338 (OLD THUMPER) favorite load factory 210gr nosler partition federal premium 3 shots in a half inch at 100 yds killed many moose and caribou. My favorite rifle ever.

The one you shoot the best and are the most confident in - they are both great bullets.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS