Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: 338 Norma Mag?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    30

    Default 338 Norma Mag?

    I came across this article on the 338 Norma Mag: http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...a-review-1.php

    This was news to me as I didn't know Norma chambered a 338; however, the 338 NM seems to be a newer cartridge that is gaining popularity with the tactical crowd. I'm wondering what the AOD community thinks about it for North American big game hunting? I'm not advocating long range hunting, but it seems like it would be a versatile hunting cartridge as long as a guy reloads. What do you think? Anybody using this cartridge?

  2. #2
    Member Float Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kachemak Bay Alaska
    Posts
    4,218

    Default

    The article says it all.

    "Jim Sloan’s 338 Norma.
    Mr. Sloan, (Texan Ballistic Guru) designed the 338 Norma loosely based on the 416 Rigby case and it is specifically designed to shoot the 300 grain Sierra Match King in a Remington 700 Long Action; without deep seating the bullet. The reason that the 338 Norma carries that title is because Mr. Sloan and Norma worked out an arrangement to have Norma manufacture the cartridge for entities inside the United States."
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

  3. #3

    Default

    Great pedigree. I always felt the 338 Winnie missed the boat with 300's, so this one should take care of it. I'm just a fan of long heavy bullets from close range to far.

  4. #4
    Member The Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    1,089

    Default

    Problem that it has that will keep it out of the mainstream as a hunters cartridge is the large body dia and case head. It is the same as the Lapua dimension wise asside from length, and all actions that I'm aware of that are readily available with the large boltface are plenty long for the Lapua. Factory ammo is all over the place for the Lapua as is brass, for the Norma, not so much. Don't get me wrong I think it is a wonderful cartridge if one wants a big medium bore, I just don't believe it will ever hit the big time.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    26

    Default

    One of the advantages of this cartridge is the length, you can run heavy for caliber vlds close to the lands and still have enough room to use them in a magazine. From what I've read it is an efficient cartridge design and gives very little away to the 338 LM.

    Gus

  6. #6
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    I've nothing against the big .33s, but the truth is that recoil is significant in these rifles and that prevents them from being great hunting rifles for most hunters. If you're not against using muzzle brakes or toting rifles that weigh 12+ pounds in the field then maybe they're okay, but for the vast majority of hunters they provide zero advantage in the field. For my part, there is not a situation or an animal inside of 400 yards that I wouldn't prefer to have a .338 WM rather than one of its larger brethren, though I'll confess that I've been known to shoot brown bears with a .340 Bee on occasion.......
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
    One of the advantages of this cartridge is the length, you can run heavy for caliber vlds close to the lands and still have enough room to use them in a magazine. From what I've read it is an efficient cartridge design and gives very little away to the 338 LM.

    Gus
    It's an interesting read, about this new cartridge, and it highlights a trend that I've noticed.

    It usta be that cartridges were always "Improved" by increasing powder capacity. (Bigger Case, etc.) to gain more velocity.

    We now have cartridges that are "Improved" by giving them LESS capacity. (Smaller or shorter case, etc.) for as you mention, seating advantages, and efficiency. Also less recoil.

    I can think of several new cartridge designs that have gone that way, and not talking about the WSMs either.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Kind of sounds like a 338 WSM by another name. As already mentioned, I suspect the 338 WM is probably a better all-around hunting cartridge due to its mainstream popularity and performance. However, the 338 NM intrigues me as I've always been partial to Norma - my go to rifle has been a 308 NM for years. It'll be interesting to see what becomes of this new cartridge. Thanks for everyone's input.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK49er View Post
    Kind of sounds like a 338 WSM by another name. As already mentioned, I suspect the 338 WM is probably a better all-around hunting cartridge due to its mainstream popularity and performance. However, the 338 NM intrigues me as I've always been partial to Norma - my go to rifle has been a 308 NM for years. It'll be interesting to see what becomes of this new cartridge. Thanks for everyone's input.
    Do you say that its a 338WSM because its a fad or because it has that kind of power (i'm hoping it aint this one)? Its already more popular than most people realize. I have a feeling that it will catch on even more with the hunting crowd because more and more places are designing their tactical guns around this cartridge. So the same people that buy the 338LM will run to get this one. But just like the 338LM, they will not ever come close to realizing what they have. The 338NM is designed for long range shooting, not what the normal joe usually sees or could even shoot at. It always makes me laugh when I got to the range to shoot past 700 or a grand and you see these shooters with a 338LM shooting only at 100 yards with a nikon pro staff scope. They buy an off the shelf gun for 2000+ dollars and they throw a 200 dollar scope on it. Most of them can't even pay to feed the Lapua for more than 20 shots let alone get proficient with it. Oh well.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Do you say that its a 338WSM because its a fad or because it has that kind of power (i'm hoping it aint this one)?
    I was commenting that it sounds like a 338 WSM because of the short stubby case, that's all. Actually, I like everything I've read and heard about the cartridge, that's why I posted the thread. It also appears that the brass and dies are available (for a price) if a guy wanted to go down that path. For myself, and for all practical purposes, I probably wouldn't be using it beyond 400 yards, and in that respect, something as tried and true as say a 338 WM is better suited for my needs. Then again, if it does everything a 338 WM can do and more with less recoil, who knows.......

  11. #11

    Default

    Not with less recoil! It packs a whallop for sure. I use a 338WM mag for most of the hunting side of things, the NM is for long way out playing.

  12. #12
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK49er View Post
    I was commenting that it sounds like a 338 WSM because of the short stubby case, that's all. Actually, I like everything I've read and heard about the cartridge, that's why I posted the thread. It also appears that the brass and dies are available (for a price) if a guy wanted to go down that path. For myself, and for all practical purposes, I probably wouldn't be using it beyond 400 yards, and in that respect, something as tried and true as say a 338 WM is better suited for my needs. Then again, if it does everything a 338 WM can do and more with less recoil, who knows.......
    It's substantially longer than a WSM as well as larger in body diameter. Its external ballistics are very similar to a .338 RUM. It is designed to work easily and effectively in the more common 3.65 length actions and deliver competition level accuracy. It's a niche cartridge and hunting is not its niche.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •