Thread: Fish Stock (Canning bone stock) from salmon. Good??? No???

Default Fish Stock (Canning bone stock) from salmon. Good??? No???

I did a quick search of the titles on the Pantry going back several years and didn't see anything on this topic -- and the search feature is difficult since the word "Stock" brings up a host of hits unrelated to what I want!

I'm interested in the opinion of ye good forum members on the topic of salmon stock -- simmering salmon carcass to make soup base... I did that with our turkey carcass for the first time after Thanksgiving this year and it was so good I had to do it again with an extra Christmas turkey a few days ago. What a treat! Our pantry has several quarts of turkey stock canned up, as well as a few pints with leftover turkey chunks... We used some of it for tonight's turkey noodle dish. Yummmmmmm!

So, it seems like a waste to let the salmon carcass go to the landfill / compost pile when there are still good things left on it. Slowly but surely we are training ourselves to use more of the gifts we have been given. With fish, it started with trying to cut good fillets without wasting much meat. Then we started saving and using the bellies. Then the cheeks and collars. Then we started using a spoon to scrape the carcass to get the "burger" left over on the ribs (doesn't matter how well I fillet, there's good meat left over). It seems like making fish stock with the head and carcass is the next progression. We pressure can a lot of salmon, including the "burger" -- it's incredible in patties later! Since our turkey stock came out so delicious, I thought that canned fish stock would be good -- thinking ahead to next summer!

But what I've read online suggests that fish stock is typically made from non-fatty fish -- and of course salmon is anything but... A few folks mention using salmon stock for special recipes, but it seems uncommon. I suspect the Alaska crowd will provide the best info -- hence my post here.

I'm interested in any advice on making, storing, and using salmon stock / broth? Or is it really not worth it?

Thanks!

--Stacy
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"

Quote Originally Posted by trochilids View Post
    I did a quick search of the titles on the Pantry going back several years and didn't see anything on this topic -- and the search feature is difficult since the word "Stock" brings up a host of hits unrelated to what I want!

I'm interested in the opinion of ye good forum members on the topic of salmon stock -- simmering salmon carcass to make soup base... I did that with our turkey carcass for the first time after Thanksgiving this year and it was so good I had to do it again with an extra Christmas turkey a few days ago. What a treat! Our pantry has several quarts of turkey stock canned up, as well as a few pints with leftover turkey chunks... We used some of it for tonight's turkey noodle dish. Yummmmmmm!

So, it seems like a waste to let the salmon carcass go to the landfill / compost pile when there are still good things left on it. Slowly but surely we are training ourselves to use more of the gifts we have been given. With fish, it started with trying to cut good fillets without wasting much meat. Then we started saving and using the bellies. Then the cheeks and collars. Then we started using a spoon to scrape the carcass to get the "burger" left over on the ribs (doesn't matter how well I fillet, there's good meat left over). It seems like making fish stock with the head and carcass is the next progression. We pressure can a lot of salmon, including the "burger" -- it's incredible in patties later! Since our turkey stock came out so delicious, I thought that canned fish stock would be good -- thinking ahead to next summer!

But what I've read online suggests that fish stock is typically made from non-fatty fish -- and of course salmon is anything but... A few folks mention using salmon stock for special recipes, but it seems uncommon. I suspect the Alaska crowd will provide the best info -- hence my post here.

I'm interested in any advice on making, storing, and using salmon stock / broth? Or is it really not worth it?

Thanks!

--Stacy
    So totally worth it! Fish stock for soups, bisques, chowders...paella...cioppino....OMG; poaching liquor!! Entire chapters, if not entire cook books have been devoted to poaching....Those who don't poach fish simply don't know what they're missing! So many uses for fish stock/fish liquor....there's a whole 'nuther world of fish cooking out there besides baking, grilling or smoking a fillet and tossing the carcass.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    So totally worth it! Fish stock for soups, bisques, chowders...paella...cioppino....OMG; poaching liquor!! Entire chapters, if not entire cook books have been devoted to poaching....Those who don't poach fish simply don't know what they're missing! So many uses for fish stock/fish liquor....there's a whole 'nuther world of fish cooking out there besides baking, grilling or smoking a fillet and tossing the carcass.
    Excellent. That's the kind of motivation I'm looking for. I think the last poached item I ever ate was a poached egg that my mom made me back in the late 70s/early 80s when I still lived at home... I'll have to explore that one for sure.
    Palmer, Alaska

There's some fun (and serious) poaching inspiration to be found in this one: http://www.amazon.com/Lifes-Fish-The.../dp/0882405535
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    There's some fun (and serious) poaching inspiration to be found in this one: http://www.amazon.com/Lifes-Fish-The.../dp/0882405535
    I think I have that book around here somewhere. Or something catchy like that... I'll need to track that down. Thanks!
    Palmer, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by trochilids View Post
    I think I have that book around here somewhere. Or something catchy like that... I'll need to track that down. Thanks!

That was easy. It was in with our cookbooks. Who would have guessed? Thanks for the tips!
    Palmer, Alaska

I was under the impression salmon didn't stock well, that it made a bitter product.

We stock pretty much everything else. Why not try, I guess.

One of my wife's best dishes uses stocked crab shells.

Supporting Member

When I can salmon, I like to take the fish heads and bones and simmer them, then strain for stock. I use the stock as a base for salmon chowder. It really adds a great flavor to the chowder. I freeze any leftover stock that I don't use. I freeze the stock in pint containers.

I made up some fish stock this year for the first time for some shrimp ciopini. It makes the soup - I think.

I used some of a bit of everything I could find in the freezer plus a trip to the Carrs. I used lobster shells, shrimp shells, king crab shells, and the bones off of one salmon fillet. I boiled it first, then strained and put the bones/shells on a cookie sheet and baked it at 425 for about 30 minutes then back into the soup for another 1.5 hours. Then sifted and froze what I didn't use that night. Added some salt and garlic a bunch of chopped carrots and celery and some fresh herbs after it had boiled for about an hour.