Thread: Lake louise

Default Lake louise

Planning to hit lake Louise Monday, is anyone willing to give up a couple basic tips? I have never been there having spent most of my life ice fishing MN , I see there are some humps out in the middle do the lakers generally hang around that kind of structure, go to the deepest holes, or ?? Also on the lure/bait side, I have seen stuff like airplane jigs, big tube jigs, does everyone tip with herring, ?? Any starter hints appreciated

Know the regs. SINGLE HOOK. No airplane jigs unless you modify them. Very few people use herring.

Watch for overflow and ice ridges. Don't just go flying across the lake. There are 5 foot tall chunks of ice.

Visibility can go down to nothing very quickly. Stay near a marked trail until you get used to the area. Lake Louise Lodge has maps of the trails.

Do a search here for more info.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

A rookie mistake my first year was drilling in what I thought was deep water and hitting mud and screwing my auger up. That lake is super shallow in the strangest places. We drilled other holes that were super shallow as well. At least it felt that way when we screwed up the auger after a four hour drive. Lol. Get some decent intel and you should be fine.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

I'll have been out there 2 days by then. Shoot me a text, 712 229 9243. If I have any tips at that point I'll be more than happy to share.

This is my first time out there. I have a few areas from browsing threads and a couple hints from guys I know who've actually fished it. We'll be running snow machines, so we'll be out a little ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard_Water View Post
    I'll have been out there 2 days by then. Shoot me a text, 712 229 9243. If I have any tips at that point I'll be more than happy to share.

This is my first time out there. I have a few areas from browsing threads and a couple hints from guys I know who've actually fished it. We'll be running snow machines, so we'll be out a little ways.
    Define... "a little ways".
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

I plan on staying on or near the trail system, nothing crazy, just further than someone walking or skiing is going to want to go out.

thanks hardwater we may take you up on that....we are bringing snowmachines as well so will be scouting around a bit i was just hoping someone may have a starting point at least on structure or something rather than lecturing about stuff LOL - not first time being outside in the winter on a lake just first time on this one we will figure it out though

Kyle...
    Lake Louise is a big piece of water if you haven't been on it Partner, and I promise you ...it has skunked all of us from time to time. January is coming up and that can be the beginning of a tough ice bite . As for where to go hot spots?? Partner we fish all over that lake and we've found fish in all kind of depths. If you've got a flasher, search for the schools of baitfish when they come thru. We fish a lot of the major lake points and as much of the underwater structure that we can find. Some of the islands have decent water depths that crowd the shoreline and that's always a favorite of many. These big lakers are cruisers and sometimes it's more about timing and being in the right place at the right time. I like to find suspended fish myself. Big marks on the flasher that are way off the bottom are always promising. I normally rig three rods. One will always have a big 6 inch super tube....pearl white, one will be a large 5 of diamonds.... yellow with a touch of red, and another jig with some kind of rattles. I vary the size and how noisy the lure or jig is based upon what the fish tell me. Some days they want them small and some days they will smash a large one. Some days they will follow your jig right back to the bottom of the ice and other days they run in, throw on the brakes and just stare at it. I upgrade all my single hooks and use the best swivels I can find.......
    If you want to chat some time, feel free to drop me a line...( until then, good luck and be safe out there. The ice and snow on Lake Louise and Lake Susitna can get a guy in trouble in a hurry and it's usually a very long walk back off the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleDG View Post
    thanks hardwater we may take you up on that....we are bringing snowmachines as well so will be scouting around a bit i was just hoping someone may have a starting point at least on structure or something rather than lecturing about stuff LOL - not first time being outside in the winter on a lake just first time on this one we will figure it out though
    My buddy and I only caught 3 and they weren't bruisers. I met dirt, he's a helpful and nice guy, but he has reasoning for the way he posts about this Lake.

I talked to a few different people and things can happen fast there and with the temps of the area, the remoteness, things could get serious fast.

No ones going to give up hot spots, but Jon and Yvette will be helpful and so will most folks. I had searched and read tons of posts on different forums when I went up and I read many times how the locals don't want outsiders, I took it with a grain of salt and I found it to be nothing further from the truth. I couldn't of been more impressed with the hospitality and I have Montana plates and my buddy was wearing his military issue gear and we were treated better than I could of hoped just about anywhere.

We cruised Larson Bay and Bird Island. Seen a few good fish, had one good one knock a tube, but it was a swing and a miss and he lost interest quickly. Should of cruised/scouted more but we had auger issues. Broke my choke off, so we were operating it with a pocket knife, then the throttle cable froze up. Haha. I can't image what the real cold would of been like, it was actually pretty decent those three days.
    Last edited by Hard_Water; 12-30-2013 at 22:25. Reason: more info