Thread: Scents for halibut. What is your favorite?

Default Scents for halibut. What is your favorite?

I was just wonering if any of you add scent to your bait? not your chum bag if you use one but directly to your bait. If so what do you add? I know some people brine their herring in Pro-Cure before heading out. What is your favorite scent and how do you use it?

None of the above. I've always had much better luck "sweetening" my jigs with a small sliver of the real thing- maybe half an inch wide by and in long. Guys on the boat with me who use scents are usually pretty quick to switch over to sweetening.

We have found that scent isn't necessary in most instances, but when we do add scent to jigs we use "Butt Juice". I agree with BrownBear - a very small piece of fresh herring or p-cod usually does the trick with jigs. We use BJ on our circle hook/chunk bait set-ups to help with attracting fish from down-tide.

If I am fishing bait I will sometimes add some plain herring oil. I have one of the procure injector bottles on the boat loaded and ready.
    I don't always do it but will use it to freshen up a bait that has been soaking awhile.
    It is also a confidence booster to the novice or first time angler who isn't catching like everybody else. I tell them it is a secret sauce and they regain interest in fishing for a while and usually start catching again.
    I also have added a piece of sponge to a jig or baited hook and added oil to that.
    When jigging I do as the other guys said add a piece of bait to a jig quite often.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

My buddy had some of the 'but juice go bad this year. We stuck to the bottom and my rod had 5 hali (no juice), his had zero on the scent. (had juice) He did have a monster take his bait tho we didn't hook, but that was it! (monster then took my bait, and I couldn't hook it either) Pretty sure he tossed it in the trash!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    None of the above. I've always had much better luck "sweetening" my jigs with a small sliver of the real thing- maybe half an inch wide by and in long. Guys on the boat with me who use scents are usually pretty quick to switch over to sweetening.
    Nothing beats the real thing, IMO. I had good luck this year on kelp greenling carcasses. In some spots, the bigger halibut preferred the greenling at an obvious rate. P-cod was really good early, but about mid July the halibut wanted nothing to do with it. Go figure. Squid sucked for me this year. (had some fresh stuff) I didn't try the squid around the reefs though, it it mighta shined there. Herring was good. Pink salmon always rocks. Guts are my "sweetener", that go on every circle hook on top of whatever bait I'm using. And we pounded the nice 'buts this year.

Nothing like the real thing, I like a slow rolled pink salmon in less then 30ft of water. I inject herring with pro-cure chartreuse bait fish oil. Don't forget the two chum bags with herring oil and butt juice.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    My buddy had some of the 'but juice go bad this year. We stuck to the bottom and my rod had 5 hali (no juice), his had zero on the scent. (had juice) He did have a monster take his bait tho we didn't hook, but that was it! (monster then took my bait, and I couldn't hook it either) Pretty sure he tossed it in the trash!
    I was just thinking of that day when I saw this thread.

That bottle definitely got thrown away!

WD-40 is my favorite

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Quote Originally Posted by JKD View Post
    We have found that scent isn't necessary in most instances, but when we do add scent to jigs we use "Butt Juice". I agree with BrownBear - a very small piece of fresh herring or p-cod usually does the trick with jigs. We use BJ on our circle hook/chunk bait set-ups to help with attracting fish from down-tide.
    I agree with this approach. On circle hooks I sandwich the herring between pieces of squid, helps to keep the herring on the hook.

I never add any scent to my baits. It is time consuming, expensive and years ago, I did not find that it made any difference at all. Fresh bait is my preference but those scents are not natural, they are a much stronger scent and I am just not a believer that the stankier is better for fishing. I am a fresh is best believer. Just one guys opinion though…..

Another vote for fresh herring and as others I mostly use it to tip jigs. The upside is one herring will yield 4-5 uses, head, tail and 2-3 sections out of the middle of the fish. I keep my leftovers for adding to my shrimp bait jars, seems to be a bit more effective than just pellets and a better use then trying to catch fish with stale bait.

I was a big fan of Berkley Gulp as I'd had some outstanding results with Coho and rockfish, they seemed to absolutely slam the jigs and mooching rigs. I don't know if gulp goes bad, the formulation has changed or water conditions have made it less affective but it hasn't worked nearly as well the past few seasons and hering seems to outfish it.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.