Thread: 40-mile Caribou Herd

Default 40-mile Caribou Herd

I heard rumors that the 40 mile caribou herd is supposed to open back up in January. Anyone have any info on this?

Doubtful as the bulk of the herd is in Yukon Territory and the kill there is unknown.

Darn, I didn't want to have to drive all the way up to the slope. What is everyone else bringing home to freezer that's close to fairbanks? Just rabbits and ptarmigan?

F&G says no way is it going to happen. Quota met, closed for the year. Time to drive north, when you think you have arrived, keep going, then turn around and come back. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBoy View Post
    Darn, I didn't want to have to drive all the way up to the slope. What is everyone else bringing home to freezer that's close to fairbanks? Just rabbits and ptarmigan?
    Your cheapest, safest, and overall best option for putting meat in the freezer right now is to take a week of leave, fly home, and find a whitetail. Believe me, friend, I know your pain, but it was forty below here not three days ago. You're going to have to wait it out just like the rest of us.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.