Thread: Borland/Massey article in Trad Bow Mag

Default Borland/Massey article in Trad Bow Mag

I ripped the plastic off my new Traditional Bowhunter Magazine that arrive today and thumbed through the pages until Doug Borland's article on Expedition Backpacking Bowhunting caught my eye. A photo shows a young Doug and Jay carrying stick bows with two very nice rams sticking out of full packs. What caught my eye was the blue jeans and tennis shoes Doug was wearing and Jay's LL Bean boots. Glad they didn't know they couldn't kill sheep without plastic boots, 3# backpacks, synthetics and such. Great article and can't wait for part II coming in the next issue.

Looking forward to the article. I hunted mostly in jeans, wool pants, and old work coats most of my life. Movement catches the eyes of game and marketing catches the eyes of hunters(even mine). Nowadays I do have some quality gear but still like wool and down for some things. Definitely don't miss cold, wet feet! I sure don't regret getting rid of the compound for longbows.
    Best hunting to all with old school and new tech.

Do you happen to have Jay's 4 magazines he published back in the 70's or early 80s? Doug was selling them awhile back, I picked some up from him directly when I was down south charter fishing. They're WAY before their time! There's more in their about the sheep hunts.

A side note, it the same place Yote's killing his rams with Doug and his old man in recent years. Some hoss's for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    Do you happen to have Jay's 4 magazines he published back in the 70's or early 80s? Doug was selling them awhile back, I picked some up from him directly when I was down south charter fishing. They're WAY before their time! There's more in their about the sheep hunts.

A side note, it the same place Yote's killing his rams with Doug and his old man in recent years. Some hoss's for sure!
    I don't have Jay's magazines. I do have nearly every Trad Bow Mag printed. I read the article Doug wrote a year or two ago where they hiked into Doug and Jay's secret honey hole to pass the torch. It was secret because they hiked 20 miles to get to it after being dropped off by the plane. I'm hung up on float hunts and canoes right now but sometime in the near future I have to step outside my bubble and go for a hike before I'm too old to make it back.

after reading the stories on their camp I call BS! If you talk to Stevo, he's buddies with the 4th guy that hunts with Yote, he'll confirm that 20 mile 'easy' hike. I could see Yote and his buddy getting in, but Dick and Doug??!?! They're no spring chickens lol. possible maybe. We all know how sheep stories go!

I don't know how to get ahold of Doug I used to have his number. I think that phone ended up in the harbor. I have a few that went swimming accidently usually washing the boat. You can try the Russian American company in Sitka he owns it. Get them if he has them. Theirs 4 total, worth every penny! There's an electrician I'll have to dig through my cob webs to think of his name. His brother lives up here. He shoots with Doug often. I want to say it's Eric. He broke off and opened his own shop oh 2007/2008 ish. I believe he's the owner of Sitka electric. If you cant get Doug let me know I'll do some digging.

Eric Holmgren is the name I was looking for.

I have all of Jay Massey's books...bought them when they first came out and wouldn't sell them for anything. Still great reading after all these years.

Delong, get your hands on Jays magazines he published back in the 70's IF you can find them! They're just as good as all of his books and much better than any mags I've seen to date.

I have some other old awesome magazines I'll have to dig out of 'storage'. Everythings in binders and I still manage to miss place it ha! Longbowshooters digest is the other mag I'm referring too amongst many others. You have all the old greats writing in this one.