Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's a 223 good for?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default What's a 223 good for?

The 223 is a cartridge that is immensely popular, and the first reason for that is the AR chambering of a like cartridge. (I forget what you call it.)

There were, and are, other 22 cenerfires, that were around when the 223 was designed. The 223 may have some advantages over some of them???, and the fact that faster twists, and heavier bullets are available, may be desirable.

Beyond that,,,,,

Isn't the 223 or ANY 22 centerfire too underpowered for the Greatland? It IS chambered in rifles, but is it really a RIFLE cartridge. (One that will do a bear, in an emergency.) I know that some guy kilt a bar with one. It was inevitable, with the proliferation of ARs.

If folks gott'em they'll be packin them around..

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Small holes in seals.

Poodles come to mind
    Shoot anything in the ear with a 223 and it dies....

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

The chambering you're thinking of is 5.56mm. Similar, but higher pressure/faster velocity. The 5.56 is really a battle round not a hunting round. If it were a great hunting round, there would not be the proliferation of alternative chamberings for the AR. .223 is a great small game round. Lot's of people use them in the lower 48 for whistle pig shooting (prairie dogs) and coyotes. I'd think it would make a decent rabbit/fox round.

What really makes the AR popular is the fact that you can, with little effort, run it in 6.8SPC, 7.62X39mm, 6.5mm Grendel, .50Beowulf, .458SOCOM, .300blackout etc. And even if you really want, you can run 9mm or .45ACP without a huge deal.

Basically it's the Lego's of the rifle world. Pop the top off and run a different caliber. That's really what makes it so popular. Now with the proliferation of the AR-10 (in .308) it wouldn't surprise me to start seeing some of the .308 variants coming out.

My Rem Model 700 .223 is good for practice.

It has the same size, weight and ergonomics as my 25-06 and my 7mm RM while replicating the trajectory of both and costing a fraction as much to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    The chambering you're thinking of is 5.56mm. Similar, but higher pressure/faster velocity. The 5.56 is really a battle round not a hunting round. If it were a great hunting round, there would not be the proliferation of alternative chamberings for the AR. .223 is a great small game round. Lot's of people use them in the lower 48 for whistle pig shooting (prairie dogs) and coyotes. I'd think it would make a decent rabbit/fox round.

What really makes the AR popular is the fact that you can, with little effort, run it in 6.8SPC, 7.62X39mm, 6.5mm Grendel, .50Beowulf, .458SOCOM, .300blackout etc. And even if you really want, you can run 9mm or .45ACP without a huge deal.

Basically it's the Lego's of the rifle world. Pop the top off and run a different caliber. That's really what makes it so popular. Now with the proliferation of the AR-10 (in .308) it wouldn't surprise me to start seeing some of the .308 variants coming out.
    The thread is not about AR's, it's about the uses of 223 caliber round.

The 223 is a good varmint rifle consistently killing critters up to coyote size (always dependent on shot placement). I have seen it used on wolves, but consider it a bit small for that. Many lesser 48 states alloy the 223 for hunting deer, but I am not sure what the one shot kill percentage is.

I work with many from villages who claim to use 223 for everything, including moose and grizzly. I am sure that many rounds were used.

So the success of the 223 is wide spread, but I am sure it's failures are probably present also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

The .223 is really an "intermediate cartridge" in the same vein as the 7.62x39 more than a true rifle round by the classical definition.

I've used one on game up to deer. For blasting small varmints like groundhogs and prairie dogs it's fine. It worked on a deer but I'd not really do that again if I had a choice and if I didn't- I'd use a good bullet and get plenty close.

For shooting fur I think it's too hot and tends to tear holes in hides- I personally prefer the .22 Hornet class of cartridges for that kind of stuff.

Out in the villages it's easily the most common cartridge I've seen and everyone packs Mini 14s with FMJ it seems. Makes sense I guess- mostly seals, some caribou out in the great wide open but wow….the fun stops there in my opinion. I did see a photo of a 13yo girl posing with a very dead polar bear holding one. I can't imagine how wrong that could go though.

In short- I don't think it's really AK material unless you're using it for something specific like coyotes or popping seals and it's far too small for a general purpose rifle. Just my $0.02...
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I did see a photo of a 13yo girl posing with a very dead polar bear holding one. I can't imagine how wrong that could go though.
    From what I was told, as far as killing a polar bear with the 223 is concerned, a few brave natives sneak up extremely close and pop them behind the ear. In the photo you saw, could you tell where it was hit?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt-Hunter View Post
    The thread is not about AR's, it's about the uses of 223 caliber round.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt-Hunter View Post

The 223 is a good varmint rifle consistently killing critters up to coyote size (always dependent on shot placement). I have seen it used on wolves, but consider it a bit small for that. Many lesser 48 states alloy the 223 for hunting deer, but I am not sure what the one shot kill percentage is.

I work with many from villages who claim to use 223 for everything, including moose and grizzly. I am sure that many rounds were used.

So the success of the 223 is wide spread, but I am sure it's failures are probably present also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, yes and no. The OP is both about the caliber and the rifle itself. SOTN even mentions that the .223 is essentially popular because it was primarily an AR round. I took him to essentially mean that he was wondering why the .223 was "so popular" if it isn't a great hunting round. I was really trying to speak to why the AR became so popular and how that has benefited the .223 in the long run. I guess my point was trying to explain why the .223 is popular if not due to it's hunting prowess.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    From what I was told, as far as killing a polar bear with the 223 is concerned, a few brave natives sneak up extremely close and pop them behind the ear. In the photo you saw, could you tell where it was hit?
    I couldn't tell and the photo caption didn't have much detail. I've read other accounts of folks killing polar bears with a .223 and .222. I guess the .222 was very popular among Canadian Inuits for a lot of the same reasons the .223 is.

But wow…that better be one very good shot or it's gonna get exciting in a hurry.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I don't know anything about the cartridge. But I seen some that was all silver and pretty........I like pretty cartridges. Some of those shotgun cartridges are real pretty, seen me some yellow ones and some real pretty green ones. I like pretty cartridges. they are more powerful than ugly cartridges.

I couldn't tell and the photo caption didn't have much detail. I've read other accounts of folks killing polar bears with a .223 and .222. I guess the .222 was very popular among Canadian Inuits for a lot of the same reasons the .223 is.

But wow…that better be one very good shot or it's gonna get exciting in a hurry.
    Have heard tell that the .22 Hornet was once popular with North Slope Natives for taking polar bear.

Now that you mention it, I actually do believe that it was in fact the 222 that I heard they were using to pop them behind the ear with.......not the 223 like I first stated. Thanks for refreshing the memory.....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Like most things, in the hands of someone that can it reliably will........ For others, not so much........

I've seen moose fall readily to the .223 and I've a good friend that told me recently of a local lady that has dropped more brown bears with her .223 than you'd believe if I told you. I plan to use a .223 for a couple of caribou in a month or two and I'm not at all uneasy about my "chances."

For starters, it has the kind of recoil that encourages good marksmanship and ammo cost is such that most can afford to shoot it more than any other centerfire cartridge. Familiarity may breed contempt in some things, but when talking about shooting familiarity breeds competency and that can be deadly effective.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

NEVER heard of the .223!!
    Ok, I lied.

I used to carry a mini 14 in .223 as my plane gun with a variety of different ammo type and felt well equipped for anything that came along. I saw a GI kill a huge water buff in SEA with one shot to the head...would I hunt cape buff with one...not hardly. It all comes down to what bullet, where that matters with anything you're shooting.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

It just wants to be a .224 when it grows up.

Quote Originally Posted by 450 ktm View Post
    NEVER heard of the .223!!
    Ok, I lied.

I use mind for squirrels and such

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

.223 are popular here in Southeast AK for sea otters, seal, plus many people use them for late season blacktail hunts, especially beach hunting. No one in their right mind would pack one into the alpine though.

The 223 is a very good varmit round and was designed as the civilian version of the 5.56x45 for the then new military rifle the M15. In a good rifle it is quite accurate and does have enough power to kill anything in alaska if you can make a good head shot. I wouldn't use it on anything bigger than wolf unless it was the only thing I had. I have seen it used on moose using a 20 round mag and a shoot till it drops method but I'm not at all fond of that. You are not supposed to shoot the 5.56 in a 223 but I have shot a bunch of the early 55gr 5.56 in mine without problems. I believe the problem started with the 62gr rounds that need a rifle with a little longer throat. I have one of the first 223s that came into our town, a Rem 700V. 223 ammo just wasn't easy to find so I shot a bunch of military stuff before I got dies to load for it. Other than making noise in the ARs or shooting fox and coyote the 223 isn't real practical for AK. I have two and neither have been used much since I came to Ak.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast