Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Non-motorized" lakes in the winter...

Default "Non-motorized" lakes in the winter...

I have a call in to ADF&G regarding this but I was wondering if any of you have come across this situation. A relative was fishing a Wasilla area lake today and used his wheeler to drag a sled with his gear across the lake to where he wanted to fish. When he was finished, he found this handwritten note on his truck.

I'm not big into ugly confrontations with people but this seems ridiculous. 300hp airplanes taxi, take off and land on this same lake summer and winter and this homeowner has the gall to complain about a wheeler driving around on the lake finding a fishing spot??

Anyone else run into situations like this? I'm sure there are many "non motorized" lakes out there that get tons of snowmachine traffic all winter, they just don't have a hyper sensitive land owners griping about fishermen. I thought the "non-motorized" clause was to help protect sensitive vegetation and bird nesting areas from crazy teenagers on jet skis.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

What lake the snowmachine is ready to go can't stand People who think they own the world. The lake I live near is non mortirized or I should say horse power restricted but that is to protect planes from wake damage since it is smaller.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.--Benjamin Franklin

I don't want to start a big uprising chanson (I appreciate the gusto though...). I've been doing some research and evidently it's not an issue that would be handled by AST but rather MSB code enforcement. Turns out the subdivision around this particular lake have taken it upon themselves to get a special use permit that limits travel in the winter as well. I think it's a crock that they can use the lake for their $100k airplanes but they want everyone else to stay off of their little slice of water. FYI there is a valid "public access" to this lake so it's not like a person has to trespass to even get on the lake.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

That's nuts. There have been full sized motor vehicles on that ice every winter.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but could there be some concern over leaving ruts/paths the could be dangerous for planes taking off/landing on skis? I have no idea where the lake in question is or how significantly it is used by planes, but just thought it might be one reason they could be pushing for restricting the use there.

I have run into something similar in the Chugach State Park. Apparently it is still "illegal" to even ride bicycles on the river when it is frozen because it is illegal to be off trail in summer or any time of year. They don't have a provision in the park use plan to have seasonal differences in use with regards to bicycles so the same rules apply year round even in cases where there is zero chance of damaging the ground such as over areas that are open water in the summer. They are working on allowing bike use for a few select trails on the next park use plan and have a temporary permit system right now, but that is relatively new and only applies to a limited area.

You would think they would post signs at the public access so a person is aware of what the rules are on this particular lake.
    On the Peninsula Johnson lake is non motorized but we run snowmnachines on it in the winter.
    On the refuge there are non motorized areas that are open when there is sufficient snow cover. There are also non motorized areas of the refuge that the regs specifically say that also includes power ice augers.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    airplanes taxi, take off and land on this same lake summer and winter and this homeowner has the gall to complain about a wheeler driving around on the lake finding a fishing spot??
    could there be some concern over leaving ruts/paths the could be dangerous for planes taking off/landing on skis?
    .....Bingo.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    You would think they would post signs at the public access so a person is aware of what the rules are on this particular lake.
    Agreed, or at least the writer could have said on the note why vehicles aren't allowed. Common courtesy and all.

I'm betting it is not a rut/airplane issue as scores of lakes around here share all kinds of vehicular traffic during the winter w/o any trouble that I've ever heard of. Longmere Lake, Island Lake and Sport Lake are notable examples of that.

I never have been ticketed but I was with other people when tickets where given by F and G for driving on lakes that where marked as closed to vehicals. i think it is a rediculas law as well since there are planes that land on these same lakes. one lake was Walby and the other was canoe lake.

Sounds like you folks have been infested by the same huggers we have here who are trying to stop duck hunting on marshy areas and fishing in rivers...sorry to see it happen up there too.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I think it means no power boats. That's what I say

is it beach lake , please tell us which lake ?

It was a Walby lake. Evidently the homeowners association there has control over the access gate too. It might be time to fight this and get the winter restriction changed.
    AKmud

It was a Walby lake. Evidently the homeowners association there has control over the access gate too. It might be time to fight this and get the winter restriction changed.
    Isn't that a stocked lake? If so, there has to be public access somewhere

sent from my igloo

Yeah, there is a public access but they gate it in the fall to enforce the non-motorized thing. It's padlocked this year but I have seen it actually welded shut in the past.
    AKmud

The person who wrote the note doesn't know the difference between "motor vehicle" and "motorized vehicle"

A vehicle meant to operate on the highway "motor vehicle" is prohibited on Walby lake in the winter. An ATV is ok.

http://www.codepublishing.com/AK/mat...rough1759.html
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah, there is a public access but they gate it in the fall to enforce the non-motorized thing. It's padlocked this year but I have seen it actually welded shut in the past.
    The plot thickens.... So, are we correct in understanding that you are/have been aware of a locked gate at the access point, but somehow circumvented it with your four wheeler?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Thats perfect! Thanks for digging it up. This was the only halfway detailed page I could find -
    http://www.matsugov.us/publicaffairs...perless-packet

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    The person who wrote the note doesn't know the difference between "motor vehicle" and "motorized vehicle"

A vehicle meant to operate on the highway "motor vehicle" is prohibited on Walby lake in the winter. An ATV is ok.

http://www.codepublishing.com/AK/mat...rough1759.html
    AKmud

If the lake is not privately owned and has a public access, I find it hard to believe that a homeowners association can do squat. They have the power to regulate homeowners in the assoc. and that is about it. There is no borough enforcement of covenant,etc. at least that is my understanding. I would ask them to provide a statute that bans atvs or snow machines for winter travel.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    The plot thickens.... So, are we correct in understanding that you are/have been aware of a locked gate at the access point, but somehow circumvented it with your four wheeler?
    Yep, not particularly difficult as the gate is obviously designed for road vehicles.
    AKmud

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast