Thread: "Hunting" for an Accountant

Default "Hunting" for an Accountant

Okay, this might get moved, so feel free, no offense taken.

Im looking for an accountant that has experience doing work for guides/outiftters/transporters/taxidermists etc in the Anchorage/MatValley.

Someone that understands people in this "outdoor industry" have out of the norm expenses. The usual sources(H&R Block for example) freak out when a fishing guide tries to write off a pair of waders as a deduction. But in reality, they are part of his/her uniform and completely legit.

Any help would be appreciated!

I don't live anywhere near Anchorage so I can't suggest anyone, but I would get references from people you know. There are many accountants/CPA's and other tax preparers who act as though they work for the IRS (H&R Block comes to mind) the reason is they don't want to have to defend their work during an audit. So they give the IRS the benefit of the doubt at every turn, this will cost you money -sometimes a lot of money-. My CPA used to work for the IRS, that's the kind of guy you want.

Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post
    I don't live anywhere near Anchorage so I can't suggest anyone, but I would get references from people you know. There are many accountants/CPA's and other tax preparers who act as though they work for the IRS (H&R Block comes to mind) the reason is they don't want to have to defend their work during an audit. So they give the IRS the benefit of the doubt at every turn, this will cost you money -sometimes a lot of money-. My CPA used to work for the IRS, that's the kind of guy you want.
    Yep exactly! I need to find one that works for me, not a CYA preparer.

Sadly, most people don't even think about some of the legit expenses for their business and leave piles of $$$ on the table. I don't claim anything questionable, but an expense that would not work for a roofer will work for me, etc..

Glen Nikolai. He lives out of state now, but he had an office in eagle river for decades and is a top-notch, independent CPA. I'll dig his number up when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Glen Nikolai is very good,just not taking on any more new clients.....retirement is lurking for him
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Wes Tiegler in Wasilla, Now has a new office off Palmer/Wasilla HWY , does my stuff each year, and I know does a few people that I know are outfitters and transporters with aiplanes. He's been around for a long time and will be around for a while.

Though I'm in Salida, Colorado, I certainly understand guides and outfitters as we have many. Been to AK several times but could more than likely help. Just letting you know. Not sure this is ok at the forum, so please delete if so. Danny Stotler, CPA