Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No money, but NEED to hunt!!!

Default No money, but NEED to hunt!!!

Like a lot of other people, I don't make a lot of money, but love to hunt. I am not looking for a hand out or a free hunt, rather some advise that could either help me and others learn ways to hunt for very little money or maybe little ways others save money so they cam enjoy the world of hunting. My hunting wish list, both places to and hunting gear, are a mile long. I think we can learn new ways to both save money for hunting and ways to save money while hunting. So let's all share and learn!
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Best advice is live where you play. You like me should be able to hunt for less than the price of a gallon of gas around North Pole.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Like Amigo said- play where you live. Some great hunting around Fbx and N. Pole. A few gallons of gas and you're there.

Probably the next biggest thing is to resist the temptation to buy every toy and trinket to come down the pipe. The industries that support our vocation are pretty effective at making us feel that without the latest ATV, rifle, scope, rangefinder, camp stove, snow machine, (or anything else under the sun a guy might use) we don't stand a chance of harvesting game.

When you really get down to it a guy can hunt effectively with very little in the way of equipment. A good set of basic gear will take you a very long way. When you get right down to it- the middle of the road gear (and much of the low end stuff) is as good as anything made at any price 20 years ago.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

This time of year is great for hunting bunnies and ptarmigan. Great way to spend time in the outdoors cheaply.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

I don't know what the problem is.......You DON'T need hunting gear to hunt. You DON'T need to travel to special places to hunt. REALLY all you have to do is HUNT. You DON'T need a firearm or any type of weapon. It is helpful if you can walk or crawl.

Many people confuse "KILLING STUFF" with Hunting.........That is just KILLING Stuff. KILLING Stuff is NOT hunting, really it is just killing stuff.

What is lost today is the pure BLISS of just walking out the door and studying what the other animals did last night, or three days ago. Hunting is learning to be 100% non-fearful or the least bit uncomfortable being alone in the wilderness. A six year old child can kill stuff with a scoped firearm & short LOP.

The true joy of hunting is studying the natural systems and how they are connected to each other. It is snowshoeing along a Hare track, and reading where the Owl harvested supper. Hunting is learning to track what you don't know you are tracking, all you know is that the leaves you are following at first light are turned "WRONG" side up.

Hunting is NOT having to kill an animal just because you can kill it. Hunting is withholding that desire to kill, in exchange for the reward of watching how the animal moves, what catches it's attention, how long can it freeze in mid-step, how does it blend it's natural color with it's environment.
    And ten-thousand other things that cost the hunter nothing, other than the comfort of being safe and warm inside a residence. Hunting is free, one only needs the passion to learn about his natural environment.

Sadly most men are obsessed with trophies on the wall or trophies in their 401K, IRA, Bond Portfolio, etc.

To a hunter it is not the trophy, it is the pure bliss of being alone in the wilderness, without fear, but with an insatiable desire to understand the wilderness, it's majesty, it's absolute perfection, and his part with-in that perfection.

And if you can ever get there, there is a point in one's wilderness travels, where he is overwhelmed with the realization that he is surrounded by GOD. And you will weep in the majesty of the experience............(And it is ALL Free)

Default No money, but NEED to hunt!!!

Start walking till you find your game critter. That is how it was done for many years before cars/trucks, atv's, airplanes, and snow machines. Of course in those days there wasn't Sitka gear, gortex insulated boots and underarmor underwear. However, men were a little tougher and needed not ask how to do something, just did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

AGL4now seems to be confusing hunting with wildlife watching.

If you can't afford to hunt on your current budget rearrange your priorities, take a second job, quit drinking/smoking, eat out less, etc save a few bucks a month... it adds up quick.

Well, last time I checked hunting DOES involve some sort of killing (if you're one of the lucky ones). I will agree that you don't need expensive gear or to shoot the biggest animals in the woods or even a atv. I am not talking about just this time of year, but all year long. I'm a big time bear hunter and enjoy baiting. The challenge of hunting and harvesting animals provides food for my family, which is why all truly hunt.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

you could convience hunt, if its moose season and you come across a moose, shoot it, if you see a rabbit or grouse while in season and your out in riding atv, harvest it, thats the way i hunt, its cheap and leaves no stress of comming home with nothing. i would like to go on a dedicated hunt myself but havent yet really. we always have plenty of food in the freezer.
    Semper Fi!

Like Bambistew said, cut back on some of the un-necessities like eating out, smoking and drinking. I am a thrifty guy, I buy second hand used hunting stuff like used snow shoes, used winter boots, etc... Almost all of my stuff is new to me and works great. keep in mind the gear we use today is 10 times better then what the hunters had 30 years ago...

SAD, Very sad that you can not see the distinction between hunting and killing.

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    Well, last time I checked hunting DOES involve some sort of killing (if you're one of the lucky ones)..

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Throw the guy a bone AGL...

Perhaps you should start your own thread... "WHAT hunting MEANS to YOU?"
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

What kind of greenie B.S. are you trying to sell?...catch and release hunting?
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

What I need to do is STOP posting on this Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Throw the guy a bone AGL...

Perhaps you should start your own thread... "WHAT hunting MEANS to YOU?"

I think I agree. Hunting does not always involve killing.
    There is simple meat procurement, and there is the hunting in order to procure the meat. Generally these two overlap, but not always. I've known guys who went out to kill moose and caribou, but who were not hunters and cared nothing for the hunting "culture". I also know folks who live for hunting, and for whom killing an animal is a somewhat magical experience, but which is not necessary in order for the hunt to be successful. I guess as I get older I fall deeper into the latter group.

To the OP: modern hunting in Alaska requires either gobs of money or gobs of time. It is best to have both.

What I need to do is STOP posting on this Forum.
    Hey you are almost to 5,000 posts hell yeah

I've gone Hunting and gone Killing, and by far I enjoyed the hunting aspect much more. They are two different things in my book. As to how to do it on the cheap, buy a really inexpensive atv, throw it in the back of your truck and just go. one knife, one rifle or bow, and some decent clothes, doesn't even have to be camo. I just got done reading the Hunger games series, now that's some real hunting going on there. Fiction yes, but some peoples reality on the animal hunting part.

I suppose one could argue that hunting does not mean killing. I mean if I'm in need of permanent shelter I'd probably start house hunting. If I found something I wanted to live in I could probably seal the deal with some cash and a signature.

However, since he posted on the hunting forum and most of the posts on here involve the pursuit of game, I naturally inferred this post was soliciting information for methods and places to hunt game for meat and/ or fur without breaking the bank. So at some point in order for him to seal the deal, I'm afraid it will probably involve the taking of animal life.

Back on track.... Search for deals on used gear in decent condition. Partner up with someone who has similar interests and will share expenses. Absolutely nothing wrong with being frugal.

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    Like a lot of other people, I don't make a lot of money, but love to hunt. I am not looking for a hand out or a free hunt, rather some advise that could either help me and others learn ways to hunt for very little money or maybe little ways others save money so they cam enjoy the world of hunting. My hunting wish list, both places to and hunting gear, are a mile long. I think we can learn new ways to both save money for hunting and ways to save money while hunting. So let's all share and learn!
    I can totally understand what you mean. I know I'm what many would consider "old school", but spending a lot of money to go hunting has kinda gone against the grain for me for as long as I can remember. The way I've always felt was, part of going hunting was to actually "save" money when it came to sitting down at the dinner table. For a long time I did that, but I will admit I just haven't hunted near as much as I would like to because I (still) can't rightfully justify putting out the kind of money it takes to do some of these hunts. I realize now that many say that you are paying for the "experience" and can't look at it as putting out the dollars for the meat. And even though I understand that, it's still not something I can do just to go have "fun"......so to speak.

For example, I've never been to Kodiak to hunt deer. As much as I'd love to, I just really didn't want to pay what it takes just to fly down there and back. Of course there is the ferry but then you need a few extra days (away from work) as well. But recently I've become aware that the air miles you can accumulate buying with a credit card can drastically help out when it comes to air fare. I mean, you're buying stuff just to live anyway, so why not use that to help contribute to your hunting? So that may be something to consider.....unless, of course, you don't use credit cards.

When I first arrived in AK. over 30 years ago, I quickly realized that unless you had a plane or a boat your hunting options were going to be greatly reduced. Of course not being a pilot or having near the $$$ it would take to have a plane, I decided a boat would be the next best thing. So I looked around for awhile and found a pretty inexpensive boat.......and I mean inexpensive meaning under $2k, and it opened up a lot of territory for me to do some of the most exciting adventures I've ever had to date. And here again, seeing that I also liked to "'play where I lived", I didn't have to boat very far to have that kind of experience, but I did in fact need the boat unless I really wanted to put out the big bucks. As far as I'm concerned that little boat paid for itself on my first hunt with it.

I've only recently bought a 4 wheeler,(still don't own a snowgo) but have yet to really use it to do any hunting from, but the little I have done has been a lot of fun. So I would concentrate on either a boat or a wheeler, and again, they don't have to be spendy, and forgo some of the thousands of other dollars a person can put down on this, that, and the other in just gear to go hunting.

Again, I can't stress enough how much a boat can do for you when it comes to hunting. It can be old and ugly, but if it runs good and can get you around safely, then that's all that matters.

Good Luck hunting in the new year...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast