Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Homer Winter King Salmon Tournament

Default Homer Winter King Salmon Tournament

homerchamber.jpg

It may seem like a long way off, but March 22, 2014 is the 21st annual Homer Winter King Salmon Tournament. The only one-day winter king tournament in the state, Homer’s Kachemak Bay thrives with these feeder kings that come north from British Columbia and the Pacific Northwest rivers to feed in bait-rich waters. Because they’re nowhere close to spawning, these kings are super fatty, and a great grilling fish.

The 2013 Tournament saw 732 anglers on 206 boats catch 162 fish. Leszek Kuligowski of Anchorage won with a 35.1 lbs. salmon. He took home $15,372 for his winning fish and another $21,375 in Side Boat Bets. Total cash prizes were a whopping $91,487.

Keep your boats clear of snow and come down to Homer for the weekend. The Port of Homer generously donates a free launch and harbor overnight moorage. Also included in your $100 entry fee is a beer and chowder during the awards ceremonies. New this year: a shortened awards event, and closed circuit video feed of the weight-in.

Homer residents are excited to put together one of the best fishing events of the year. More details available in January by going to www.homerwinterking.com

Homer Chamber of Commerce & Visitor Center
    907-235-7140
    halibutderby@homeralaska.org
    Last edited by Icebear; 01-07-2014 at 19:11.

Can't wait!!! Thanks for all the work you guys and gals all put into this! It has really become something we look forward to all year!
    Maybe I'll time a little better this year and not catch the biggest feeder of my life the week before the tournament like I did last year!

It's a great event. Unfortunately, I'll be running the show this year. Skookum will stay parked...

Oh no!!!!! That's a bummer!!

At least you caught enough last year to cover you for this year right!!??

Finally I'm going to be able to fish this again. It seems to fall on my week at work almost every year

Life is too short to pass up a day of hunting

Woohoo!!!! I'll be there!!! Hoping to get a half dozen of us from NorthwestKayakAnglers.com on the water but we will see. Perhaps there's more that we are unaware of.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

Oh Yea! I'm in and thanks Homer for all the work involved.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Great News
    Count me in!!

Here's a deal for some lucky person. One of the Chamber's members is DIY Boat Rental. They have a 22-ft Seasport for rent for the Tournament. First Come, First Served - Call Hope at 907-841-0582.

We just sent out 1500 postcard reminders with information on entering the 2014 Winter King Tournament. It will be a blast. And the Chamber is having a webcam mounted at the port so people can watch the action at the charter boat floats in the summer, and check on harbor conditions in the winter. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    The only one-day winter king tournament in the state, Homer’s Kachemak Bay thrives with these feeder kings that come north from British Columbia and the Pacific Northwest rivers to feed in bait-rich waters. Because they’re nowhere close to spawning, these kings are super fatty, and a great grilling fish.
    That excerpt really caught my eye.

Jim, I wonder how many of our Grays Harbor chinook (that we will be banned from taking in their home waters for at least the next two years) will be caught in the Kachemak Bay / Cook Inlet winter king fishery? Kodiak? SE-AK?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post

Jim, I wonder how many of our Grays Harbor chinook (that we will be banned from taking in their home waters for at least the next two years) will be caught in the Kachemak Bay / Cook Inlet winter king fishery? Kodiak? SE-AK?
    The usual take in the winter king derby is usual 100-200 fish, so i would say probably not a whole lot.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Kings are a lot like a woman, if you can't keep it home some one is going to be taking them. ;0
    This year I have had more fish with clipped fins then ever. All hatchery fish must die, and I am doing my part.

I don't see any difference between southern kings caught up here and guys flying from the south to the Kenai and other stressed Alaska rivers to take home lockers of reds and kings. The kings and reds leaving the state in airline baggage holds are depriving Alaskans, just as a few southern kings taken in Alaska are depriving southerners.

would it be worth while to enter this derby if you do not have any down riggers?

I wonder how many of our whales are slaughtered in Japan? How many of our Sandhill Cranes are shot in the lower 48? etc. etc.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by joebut1985 View Post
    would it be worth while to enter this derby if you do not have any down riggers?
    I have caught kings on deep six divers, but i have had a higher success rate with downriggers. If it were me, i would without a doubt fish the derby with divers if that is all i had, all it takes is one fish

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

To FishNPhysician - The latest information I have (from 2007) had no details on specific areas the KBay feeder kings come from. It is very general. I can try talking with the local area fish biologist. Give me a week or so and I'll report back.

JoeButt85 - I've caught these fish within 15 feet of the surface, but if they are running deep on a particular day or period of time, you're mostly out of luck with Deep 6 divers....

I caught a tagged King last yr'
    s derby. got a postcard back from Juneau F/G late fall saying that fish was from a Hatchery in Okanogan Valley Washington. I don't have the card at my fingertips to give Hatchery town location. I've heard others with tags from BC and WA/OR.

I'm stoked!!!

Just as a joke I mentioned to one of my college roommates today that he should come up and try this out with me someday (lives in Portland). Well....30 minutes later he had tickets to Kenai and will be the the first out of state member of team "Little Queen" in 2014!
    See you all there!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast