Thread: Hand Auger drill adapter

Default Hand Auger drill adapter

Was wondering if anyone had tried one of the adapters to use your cordless drill on your hand auger? wondering if you can drill as many holes as they advertise or is it better to just completely upgrade to a gas auger? I couldn't find any reviews for this one it's completely different then the other adapters I've seen and is sold out everywhere online maybe someone on here has tried one out

http://clamoutdoors.com/ice_fishing/...ill-plate.html

if anyone knows of a website or store near Anchorage with one of these in stock would let me know id appreciate it!

I believe forum member JOAT uses some sort of adapter like this on a cordless drill.I never have had reason to try one.
    Personally I like my gas augers. I just can't see myself hand drilling anymore and a dead battery means just that.
    I can always add gas but you cannot add electricity out on the middle of the lake.
    Do you already have apowerfull enough drill or do you need to buy that also? If you have to buy a drill also then I would look for a used gas power auger.
    Just my opinion. Once I got a gas auger I have never looked back since.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I cannot imagine a drill having enough power to get through 2-3 feet of ice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It says all you need is a 18v drill which I do have. Last year I got a quick fish 3 Eskimo hut, this year told my girlfriend I wouldn't buy anything major for icefishing so a new auger will have to wait til summer but was just curious to see if anyone has ever tried one, there sold out online so figured it works and people bought em up or they decided it was cheaper then a gas auger and after 3 holes there back to doing it by hand. Besides clam making that one and some basic designs there's not a lot of company's making them.

I bought a couple different versions when I was in Fairbanks several years back. They don't hold up all too well in the brutal cold. I utilized an 18v Makita hammer-drill and if the batteries weren't kept warm, the drill kinda quit around 24" and I was left to finish it by hand.

On another note, either the drill wasn't powerful enough or it was tough keeping everything straight when starting the hole. Found the best way to use it was start by hand to get a couple inches drilled, the change over to the drill until the batteries gave out, then finish by hand.

Will have to try it in the matsu area once I get my gear down here to see if its any better. Likely next winter at the rate I'm getting things moved.

Wyo, I told my wife I wouldn't buy anything major for me ice fishing this year either. well for Christmas I got her an Eskimo 8 inch 43 cc auger. She does not ice fish, but she did say I can borrow it Friday though!

Just get ya a nice nills hand auger, it's all you will ever need unless you fish 3 days a week. Plus it's lighter than a gas auger.

Realize that in the demo it was a 6" hole they were drilling. That makes it significantly easiler to drill since since an 8" hole requires you to remove almost 80% more ice, and a 10" hole requires 280% more.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Quote Originally Posted by blybrook View Post
    I bought a couple different versions when I was in Fairbanks several years back. They don't hold up all too well in the brutal cold. I utilized an 18v Makita hammer-drill and if the batteries weren't kept warm, the drill kinda quit around 24" and I was left to finish it by hand.

On another note, either the drill wasn't powerful enough or it was tough keeping everything straight when starting the hole. Found the best way to use it was start by hand to get a couple inches drilled, the change over to the drill until the batteries gave out, then finish by hand.

Will have to try it in the matsu area once I get my gear down here to see if its any better. Likely next winter at the rate I'm getting things moved.

I think that would be the biggest downfall of the drill would be the cold weather draining the batteries leaving you to hand auger anyway. This summer it will be time to get a nice gas auger and not worry about it!

I personally ice troll a lot, so a quick 2 stroke is pretty much it for me.

The drill to hand auger adapters are okay, but your hand auger doesn't have a pilot point, so they will bounce and sway, a friend of mine just got 10 stitches due to this.

You might consider saving up a few bucks and watching Craigslist,Alaska list etc. for a deal on a used auger.
    You never know when you might find a deal on a used auger from someone leaving state or what have you.
    Another option is to become a fishing buddy with someone who has a gas auger and agree to split cost on a few fishing trips.
    I have 3 gas augers I use regularly and a couple of used hand augers that I never seem to use anymore.
    The gas augers mean I can and will fish no matter how thick the ice and that I can be more mobile in looking for the fish. Being mobile I definetly catch more fish.
    I understand when money is tight. But if you are serious about icefishing a gas auger is the only way to go.
    I occasionaly do some remote trips where we are out a few days fishing. A gas auger is the only way to go in these situations.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"