Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite 22 pistol?

Default What is your favorite 22 pistol?

My wife is on the phone to Germany So I put our DVD movie on pause and fired up the computer.

I recently traded off my AirLite S&W 22 revolver and have been thinking of buying another 22 pistol of some sort. One to haul around in my survival vest while flying... I am looking for reliability and accuracy.

I have owned several Ruger 22s. They worked Ok. They are a touch heavy, at least the old ones were.
    I had a High Standard Victor... it was super picky and jammed a lot.
    I also had a Walther P-22. It was not very accurate and malfunctioned more than it should have.

Has anyone played around with the Browning Buckmarks much ? How are they..?

Any other thoughts?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Sounds like you're somewhat soured on the rugers, but I have a single six that will hit shotgun shells pretty much at will at 15 yards all day long ( thanks TananaBrian ). That may not be saying much, but the semi auto 22's that I have shot have not been nearly as accurate for me. Sounds like it might be too big for a vest pistol though..

I have used a couple semi .22's that wouldn't cycle with some brands of ammo, apparently they just didn't have enough oomph to make it work. No idea if that is just a couple strange cases or if it is more prevalent. I'm more of a revolver guy myself, so I hadn't ever tried to shop the semis.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

I’d go with a Ruger Single Six with an Al Story 8 shot drop in replacement cylinder. Semi-auto 22s are fun and all but for something that may be called on to feed you in a life and death situation they are just too finicky, they hate dirt, tend to be ammo picky, can ice up, and any good ones are as heavy as a Single Six anyway. Buy the gun in 22mag for about $450 then add a $120 8 shot 22lr and you get a very useful tool.
    Get the cylinder here, it’s droop in, at most you may need to dress the front a little to get it into the frame.
    http://brcrifles.com/manufacture.htm

Better picture of it here
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/681957/story-8-round-replacement-cylinder-ruger-single-six-22-long-rifle-steel-blue
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Interesting..... I never knew somebody was making 8 shot cylinders for single six's
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Interesting..... I never knew somebody was making 8 shot cylinders for single six's

Yup, and for about the price of a stock extra cylinder. I’ve long wondered why Ruger didn’t/doesn’t market a “Single Eight” 22.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Easy choice for me. I carry this most trips and timber tramping I do, some times in a cargo pocket of my hunting pants.

Steve

I can tell ya what not to get pretty easy, the Sig mosquito. What a pile of junk. I have never been able to get that to shoot straight if I can get it to even cycle through more then a round before a stove pipe. I have a Ruger Mark I that I love and has never failed me. That is the direction I would go personely.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

S&W Model 17 (4" or 6")

I'm a big fan of the little Ruger Bearcat- my current one shoots great.

I've had a number of .22 pistols and revolvers and I like the revolvers better. I had a little S&W .22 Mag "Kit Gun" (M63?) with a 4" that I should have never let get away.

I've had a couple of Buckmarks- decent but underwhelming. I am interested in Browning's new "miniature" 1911 .22LR though. Looks about 3/4 the size of the 1911 with all the same controls. Also of note, Walther brought back the PPK in .22LR- that might be interesting too.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have the Browning target model it will shoot same hole at ten yards off a rest. It has amazed many people how well it shoots. I have never shot straight lead through it always copper jackets and it has very few failures in thousands of rounds. It is the most accurate pistol I own and I have a few that have had the works done to them

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

hodgeman, i too considered the Ruger but, no one would do the J frame sights at the time so, I went with the tried and true S&W. I know I know now Clements now does themmmmmm. The Walther new PPK is similar to the old Erma guns with pot metal in them. That downsized Browning I haven't heard of before now but I will look into them soon.
    Steve

I like my Ruger Single Six 6", very accurate. I am going to have to find a 8 round cylinder that Andy mentioned! I have a Buckmark also, just received two new recoil bushings from Brownell's, all sources were backordered for months, so if you land on a Buckmark order a couple of "new material" recoil buffers to replace the crappy stock rubber. BTW, the Ruger is much more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by realunlucky View Post
    I have the Browning target model it will shoot same hole at ten yards off a rest. It has amazed many people how well it shoots. I have never shot straight lead through it always copper jackets and it has very few failures in thousands of rounds. It is the most accurate pistol I own and I have a few that have had the works done to them

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
    Are you talking about copper washed bullet? I've never known of any copper jacketed in LR.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Are you talking about copper washed bullet? I've never known of any copper jacketed in LR.
    Steve
    Typically labeled, "copper plated".

Not sure why you want to buy a 8 shot cylinder for a Ruger Single Six when you can just buy a Ruger Single Ten.

But my all time favorite revolver is a S&W 617 10 shot in either the 4 or 6 inch versions.

Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Back in the 80's I purchased a used Colt Buntline 22LR 6 shot Revolver with a 7" barrel. it has proven to be extremely accurate and reliable. It has stood up very well to all the use and abuse we've given it. If they were still in production I'd buy at least 2 more to give each of my sons one, (so they'd stop fighting over mine)...

I don't know how reliable or finicky the Ruger Mk3 pistols are, but I do know that the one I shot was accurate as hell. I could dance cans around with that thing all day, and it didn't seem to matter how far away they were........within reason of course. Wouldn't mind having your choice dilemma Float Pilot...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Money Pit View Post
    Not sure why you want to buy a 8 shot cylinder for a Ruger Single Six when you can just buy a Ruger Single Ten.

But my all time favorite revolver is a S&W 617 10 shot in either the 4 or 6 inch versions.
    The difference in price, and if the 8 round cylinder can be fired without having to alter the timing, the .22 mag cylinder is still in play when desired.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast