Thread: New "Bowhunter"

Default New "Bowhunter"

I just recently just got my first bow at the age of 24. I traded my 30-06 for it as I never had time to shoot the dang thing anyways. To get straight to the point, I just started archery but I'm instantly hooked. I've only put 20 arrows in a target but it's a rush I can't describe and I can only imagine what it's like with an animal in front of you. With that all said I don't have much experience hunting let alone bowhunting (thanks single mom I love you) so I was wondering if there's anyone that might be interested in taking me under their wing and showing me the "ropes". If nothing less just someone to shoot with. Thanks for everyone's time.

There are 2 archery stores in Wasilla (Screaming Eagle Archery) and (Bear Paw Archery) I would recommend that you go to both of them and talk to them. They are good people and both have indoor ranges.

Thanks akdd, I've been trying to get over there but their hours are off from mine. Close Sundays and Mondays. I'm excited to head over there. I guess I was just looking to get some tips from other archers and have reason to do man things without the wife!

Form is paramount, before you start learning bad habits. If you can't get to one of the pro shops, there are Many DVD instructional tapes. Rent a bunch of them, or see if you can find them on YouTube (or similar)! You will be happy you did.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

like roger said form is the first thing to work on. a good, smooth draw, proper stance, clean release, and a good follow through is what you should work on before you start tweaking the bow. make sure you start out with light weight starting too heavy will just make the learning process longer and more difficult. after you get your form down then you can work on tuning (paper tuning at a shop is important!) go to shops they will always shoot you some advice. hopefully someone takes you up on this. id rather shoot a bow than any of my guns. just got a new recurve im dying to try out. best of luck!

dsgb,

Lots of practice will help the proficiency portion of your archery hunt experience. Lots of research and time in the woods will help the hunt portion.

As stated before, correct fundamentals is essential in archery. You will only get this with slinging a lot of arrows in the presence of an experienced archer (since you are just starting off) to ensure you are performing the tasks correctly. Once you have it down, sling more arrows. I always make it a rule to shoot a 1000 arrows right before a hunt, usually 100 a day for 10 days. Over practicing will also develop bad habits and poor shooting form, so take a break if you are getting fatigued or tired.

There are many introductory videos that will assist you in starting out. And most regulars at the shooting ranges are very helpful, as well as the staff.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Another thing...try to find a spot where you live that you can set up a target safely. Now, for the next 365 days day, you want to shoot 6 to 12 arrows into this target...every day, come rain/wind/snow/sun, find a way to shoot this target. When you are good, then you can start to vary your distances, but in the beginning, pick a specific distance, and stay with it. Oh, and have lots of fun :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt-Hunter View Post
    dsgb,

Lots of practice will help the proficiency portion of your archery hunt experience. Lots of research and time in the woods will help the hunt portion.

As stated before, correct fundamentals is essential in archery. You will only get this with slinging a lot of arrows in the presence of an experienced archer (since you are just starting off) to ensure you are performing the tasks correctly. Once you have it down, sling more arrows. I always make it a rule to shoot a 1000 arrows right before a hunt, usually 100 a day for 10 days. Over practicing will also develop bad habits and poor shooting form, so take a break if you are getting fatigued or tired.

There are many introductory videos that will assist you in starting out. And most regulars at the shooting ranges are very helpful, as well as the staff.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I second the suggestion to "take a break if you are getting fatigued or tired." One of the first things I learned from an experienced archer when I was starting out was "quality over quantity". Make sure that you are focusing on making quality shots every time before you worry about how many shots you are taking. Don't rush to shoot as many as you can just to get a higher count. That is a good way to let bad habits slip in and establish themselves before you realize it. Once you get the correct form and it becomes natural, then increase the number of shots to develop the muscle memory and just get even more comfortable with each shot and start to mix in other variables such as distance and terrain.

One trick I use to help simulate field shooting before a hunt is to stand at the target and randomly throw something (rocks, sticks, etc...) back in the direction I want to shoot from. I then go to each point where one landed and make a shot from that location. This results in you having to adjust for different ground surface conditions, the potential for brush encroaching on your shooting line, and varying distances (you may have a pin set for 20 yards and one set for 30 yards, but what do you do when you are shooting from 25?). You never know what position you will be in once the shot in the field is presented to you and with archery as opposed to rifle hunting, at such close distances, you don't always have the luxury to move around much, if at all, to adjust. I had one instance where I had to stand perfectly still with my foot on a half-broken stick while in a stare down with a cow moose from about 20 yards trying to convince her I did not exist or was just an ugly looking tree. After 20 minutes, she turned sideways and I was able to get a shot off but had to remember not to put any more pressure on that one foot or risk spooking her.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have been shooting until just recently. I bought a new sight for my bow and though I lined it to a good starting point. We'll, I was wrong I ended up losing ALL of my arrows. So when when I get a minute I need to head to a shop to not only adjust the bow to me and buy more arrows, but hopefully I can do some safe sighting in. I have a target perched on an old computer desk an somehow all my arrows went flying to I don't know where. I ended up finding the knocked end of one that had shattered so who knows. Does anyone have any experience with the PSE Nova? That's what ended up with and am already considering updrading. Thanks

Sorry about the last post, dang iPhone coming up with its own ideas.

Wished I lived closer to you (Im in Wisconsin) I really enjoy bringing up new bowhunters and tuning gear and broadhead flight. I've been hunting for about 40 years not and been shooting a bow for as long. I will help as I can from this great distance over the web.

You get in a bind and can't find anyone shoot me a text or call. I would be happy to meet you at a shop and go over some things with you. I live in the valley. I shoot at bear paw too.
    Dave
    244-2553

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    You get in a bind and can't find anyone shoot me a text or call. I would be happy to meet you at a shop and go over some things with you. I live in the valley. I shoot at bear paw too.
    Dave
    244-2553
    Thanks so much. I'll definitely keep you in mind. As soon as I get ahold of some more arrows I'll definitely give you call!

Quote Originally Posted by dsgb21 View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I have been shooting until just recently. I bought a new sight for my bow and though I lined it to a good starting point. We'll, I was wrong I ended up losing ALL of my arrows. So when when I get a minute I need to head to a shop to not only adjust the bow to me and buy more arrows, but hopefully I can do some safe sighting in. I have a target perched on an old computer desk an somehow all my arrows went flying to I don't know where. I ended up finding the knocked end of one that had shattered so who knows. Does anyone have any experience with the PSE Nova? That's what ended up with and am already considering updrading. Thanks
    my brother shot a nova for years and i had a pse thunderbolt i got in probably 97' ish. im not sure how you lost all your arrows...i might have rechecked after the first one missed but my question is how far did you start shooting from? i would start really close like 10 yards at a big target. kind of like sighting in a gun... hold your top pin in the center of target and shoot. if your arrow is left then move your pin left ect. then just gradually move back... move your pin until you get the yardage for your top pin...usually 20 but some prefer 15,10,whatever. hopefully im not telling you stuff you already know but i just dont get losing all your arrows. are you able to shoot any sort of group? if not perhaps they arent spined right and may never group well for you. tell us whats going on we'd all be happy to help.

I ended up losing 3 out of 8 being some carbon ones. I figure I'm shooting at around 10 yards right now from just eyeballing it. I finally learned the concept of chasing the arrow. What I was doing was if it was low and right I would go up and left. Seemed like perfect sense at the time. Once I figured that out I ended up with some decent groups. I believe now that's left is fine tuning. Thanks for the advice.