Thread: newbie question - marten set 120 coni or ?

Default newbie question - marten set 120 coni or ?

Newbie to marten trapping,
    Was wondering if the 120 conibear is the preferred trap for marten, if so why, additionally what else would would work? Will likely be running a line next year and trying to gather opinions. Planning on using pole sets in most of the area.

I wouldn't say it is preferred but it does have it's place, the big plus to the 120/ flowerpot style is that it is weatherproof, bird proof, and a quick kill. I use mostly #0 and #1 longsprings because I cover lots of country and it's easier and lighter to use footholds but I do use some 120's but IMO you will have more refusals compared to a foothold but that's just my opinion plus I don't like having to drag around extra 120's to replace ones with a marten in it which you don't have to do with a foothold. Try them both and see which one works best for you................
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

I agree they both have their place. For instance; I prefer to put my marten sets on a lean pole, vs. a cubby set on ground level to avoid catching mink. To set a conibear on a leanpole or anything besides a cubby set, it's best to build boxes to put them in, which can be laborious in both the construction and the set up. However, I must say I prefer catching marten in a conibear set up because the animal is killed quicker and more humanly than a leghold, and the animal and fur have a less chance of being dirtied or ruined (as long as your conibear hangs off the ground). I do agree though that legholds are much faster and take less time to set up. Also, like the previous poster mentioned, I've never caught a bird (or cat) in a conibear. I use 120 conibears, #1 and #2 long spring and coil springs. Honestly the coil-springs are my favorite out of them all. #2's are almost too much for a marten, but if you make hanging sets, they will be fine.

My personal opinion is that 120's are the preferred trap for marten. Certainly preferable over a 110, IMO. I've never used footholds for marten, so I can't comment on them. Good luck...

trapped for the first time last year. I used 120's in plastic planters worked well