Thread: 40-60 HP OutBoard JetDrive

Default 40-60 HP OutBoard JetDrive

Does anybody have an idea of what to expect on the price-tag for a 40-60 HP outboard jet-drive? Also if I were to buy one, what time of year is the best to shop for them? Any info would be useful!

And another thing I forgot to ask, if I got a good deal on a prop outboard, would it be possible to switch the prop out for jetdrive? I know some motors can use both props and jets, but I don't know enough about motors to know which ones these are.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ210 View Post
    And another thing I forgot to ask, if I got a good deal on a prop outboard, would it be possible to switch the prop out for jetdrive? I know some motors can use both props and jets, but I don't know enough about motors to know which ones these are.
    Yup they make jets for most outboards, i switched my yami 50 to a jet with no problems took me less than 2 hours(the 1st time) to do the swap. Gary over at Greatland Welding is a dealer for jet units i bought mine from him at a very good price.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by DJ210 View Post
    Just remember that if you are looking for 40-60hp out of a jet, then you will want to start with a slightly higher hp prop motor (usually about 15hp higher give or take). For example, a 50hp prop will usually get you the equivalent of about a 35hp jet when you switch things out.

So if i bought a new 50 HP motor with a prop, then switched it to a jet, would it still be the same power as a new 50 HP jetdrive? I know that is phrased kinda poorly, but hopefully you understand what my questions is...

Nope,
    If you bought a 50 prop and convert it, it is a 35 jet. Yamaha sells a 40/30 and calles it a 30.

90/65
    60/40
    50/35
    40/30

Sobie2

The F60JB, Four Stroke 60hp Jet Drive(40hp at the pump) from Yamaha would be around $9000 with a tiller handle, to answer your original question.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

I have a "40 Jet" merc!..it is built on a 60 hp block, but they call it a 40 jet!...putting on a prop would put it back up to 60 hp!...smokn!

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

figure on 3000 for a dependable one. you dont want to get stuck up river in a broken jet boat.

you can buy a jet package for about 800 used to switch out your lower unit on a prop. and then sell your prop and recover most or all your money.

i run a 16 foot g3 flatbottom center console with a floor, with a 60/40 yamaha. and it is the least h.p.i would go with. it is also the boats max h.p. of 60 as thats how they rate it.

Quote Originally Posted by flatbottom View Post
    figure on 3000 for a dependable one. you dont want to get stuck up river in a broken jet boat.

you can buy a jet package for about 800 used to switch out your lower unit on a prop. and then sell your prop and recover most or all your money.

i run a 16 foot g3 flatbottom center console with a floor, with a 60/40 yamaha. and it is the least h.p.i would go with. it is also the boats max h.p. of 60 as thats how they rate it.
    Don't forget to factor in there will probably have to be some work done on the transom to raise or lower it so the jet fits correctly...