Thread: Kenai caribou herd where are they ?

Default Kenai caribou herd where are they ?

Trying to locate the herd. Off mystery creek? Off resurrection trail? Have been running the gasline, Haven't found any tracks. Anybody spotted the herd. Only have a week left on the permit.

PM sent. cod
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Update on.... Where is the herd.
    After spending these last four days in the hills looking for them, I spotted a few of them on my way home from hunting. Six or seven were standing on or along the hiway right near Big Johns Tesoro in Soldotna. After a quick check of the hunt area map I continued on my way. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388608016.965627.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1388608030.723226.jpg

I talked to several other hunters in the hills and nobody I talked to saw any bou.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Update on.... Where is the herd.
    After spending these last four days in the hills looking for them, I spotted a few of them on my way home from hunting. Six or seven were standing on or along the hiway right near Big Johns Tesoro in Soldotna. After a quick check of the hunt area map I continued on my way. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388608016.965627.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1388608030.723226.jpg

I talked to several other hunters in the hills and nobody I talked to saw any bou.
    Yes, it's always great that we are still able to see the Kenai flatland herd down here from time to time. Over the years I think I've seen them almost everywhere.....Sterling, all over K-beach, the highway down near Kasilof, etc... It's too bad they got hammered so bad over the last 30 years. I'm pretty sure the times when they offered 2 permits for them will never be seen again....

So I take it as of today your season is over for the mountain herd and you were unsuccessful...??? Maybe I'll get lucky and draw it again this year.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Season over. Interestingly enough, I just read the 'fair chase' thread. I assisted a husband/wife combo to the base of Summit Pass Tr in Ressur Pass. Left them there at ten thirty that morn and up they climbed to see what was in upper East Ck drainage. At a little after four pm I returned to see them at the crest of the hill about to descend. I had met two other snogo hunters a few minutes earlier and they returned to the base of the mt the couple was about to descend. The one fella snogo hunter proceeded to climb the mt about a couple hundred yrds to the right of the couple. Up the hill he went. Straight up! Right to the top and into view of East Crk. Scoped it quickly and back down he came. All in ten to fifteen minutes. The couple were not even half down the hill with the skis and snowboard they had. What took hrs by the couple took mere minutes by machine.
    Every upper drainage was inspected by machine in the upper pass area from what I saw and heard. It's not a matter of not getting to the animals anymore. Technology...... Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Season over. Interestingly enough, I just read the 'fair chase' thread. I assisted a husband/wife combo to the base of Summit Pass Tr in Ressur Pass. Left them there at ten thirty that morn and up they climbed to see what was in upper East Ck drainage. At a little after four pm I returned to see them at the crest of the hill about to descend. I had met two other snogo hunters a few minutes earlier and they returned to the base of the mt the couple was about to descend. The one fella snogo hunter proceeded to climb the mt about a couple hundred yrds to the right of the couple. Up the hill he went. Straight up! Right to the top and into view of East Crk. Scoped it quickly and back down he came. All in ten to fifteen minutes. The couple were not even half down the hill with the skis and snowboard they had. What took hrs by the couple took mere minutes by machine.
    Every upper drainage was inspected by machine in the upper pass area from what I saw and heard. It's not a matter of not getting to the animals anymore. Technology...... Wow!
    Yeah, it's probably a REAL good thing that they only allow snowgos up there every other year.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I thought there were signs on that side of the Hwy. prohibiting snow machines every year................????

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yeah, it's probably a REAL good thing that they only allow snowgos up there every other year.......

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I thought there were signs on that side of the Hwy. prohibiting snow machines every year................????
    There are. We ignore em every other year.