Thread: Callin Griz This September

Default Callin Griz This September

My Dad Wants To Come Up This September And Get Himself A Griz...i Was Thinkin Of Tryin To Use A Call...i Have A Foxpro I Used In North Dakota...would Calls Like "feeding Ravens", "bear Cub In Distress", Or "snowshoe In Distress" Work??
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

Look through the archives here and do a search for bear calling. Quite a bit has been written about it, and the consensus seems to be that it will work, but that it is a very dangerous proposition. You don't know where they will come in from, how many will come in, how aggressive they'll be, etc. For instance, you may call in a sow with cubs that you cannot shoot, but you've still got to deal with an aggressive bear looking for an easy meal. Or you may call in multiple bears, and they won't necessarily stop after you shoot the first one. I've never done it, but reading some of the other posts has been enough to make me think long and hard before attempting it.

Default Thanks...

...well he said he wanted some excitement...

September brush is thicker than thick, so you'll give him excitement. Want to name me beneficiary in your life insurance policy? Heck, I'd even pay the premiums on a bet like that.

...thanks for the useless comment..

Default Hunting recommendations

First I would take to heart what BrownBear is saying ... if you insist in ignoring his prudent advice then I would recommend that you and your father sit on the ground facing each other so that you can watch each other's back and keep a close watch of your partner's face for pupilary dilation, dropped jaw, blanching complexion and deep inhalation ... that way you will have a 1.5 second warning that the excitement is getting ready to start.

Your getting advice from folks who have never done it and know little about it. I doubt calling is any more dangerous than walking into a bait stand where bears may already be feeding.
    Call in areas with good visibility. I assume your fox pro has a remote and you can set the caller away from where your sitting? Moose calf and bear cub distress are supposed to be good sounds to use.
    I've tried it a couple times, but didn't have any success. There has been several articles in mags I've read. Bears do come in ready to kill, but not always. Try Predator Masters forum. May be info there too.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Talking calling all bears

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Look through the archives here and do a search for bear calling. Quite a bit has been written about it, and the consensus seems to be that it will work, but that it is a very dangerous proposition. You don't know where they will come in from, how many will come in, how aggressive they'll be, etc. For instance, you may call in a sow with cubs that you cannot shoot, but you've still got to deal with an aggressive bear looking for an easy meal. Or you may call in multiple bears, and they won't necessarily stop after you shoot the first one. I've never done it, but reading some of the other posts has been enough to make me think long and hard before attempting it.
    Very good comments. Calling bears has the potential of being very dangerous, and depending on where one's calling, can be just downright stupid. I've done this and one time the brush was so tall, I got on top of a large fallen tree and was calling, then I realized that if a griz came, he'd only be feet away before I seen him...now that was stupid. I did call one in and fortunately I saw him moving away and shot him, but the outcome could have been different. I've called in a sow and two cubs one time and they came in on our blind side...only thing that saved our kiesters was a stream the sow didn't want to cross, but the cubs wanted to. But from an adrenaline standpoint, there isn't much hunting scenario's that can beat it, so I say go for it...but use your head and be darn careful so you'll have a more harmonious outcome
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Thumbs up Been there, done that

Was bear baiting one night, was close to midnight, next to last day of the baiting season and I was getting anxious. I had an old Game Caller that used cassette tapes (Johhny Stewart) and decided to give it a try. I plopped in my Distressed Kittens call, and within 2 minutes, I had 3 bears coming in drooling and looking for dinner. They must have been bedded down waiting for the sound of our 4-wheelers to leave so they could taste the evenings new entres. They had us pegged pretty good. Well I planted the only blackie to come into the shooting lane, the others ran off. These bears came in quick, but silently, and 3 of them at that. Calling can be very exhilerating, but very dangerous as well. I've had birds almost land on me and fox jump in my lap, but can't imagine if I felt drool dripping on my shoulder from behind! Like the others say, stay well concealed in an open area, or use a tree stand with clear shooting/viewing lanes. One last thing...I can't forget the look on that bears face that I shot; he was going to eat whatever was making those sounds. Had it been a big sow with cubs, the *****e would have hit the fan! Good luck, and be safe.

Using a predator call could be dangerous, but so could anything that you do in bear country. Just be smart and sit where you can see around you. Dont sit in the tall grass or in the brush. Predator calling for bears can be affective, but it's not like some people on this forum make it out to be. Yes, some bears may come running in to the call, but not all bears in the area are just going to come running. Some bears are not going to respond to a predator call at all. If fact I bet more than 50% will not respond.

I recommend going to an area that you can glass a bunch of hillsides that have berries on them. Take your predator call along and try it, but also have the ability to glass hillsides. It will give you a better chance at a bear. More than likely your not going to be able to go somewhere, sit down, turn your call on, and get ready to gun a bear down. IF it was that easy, wouldn't there be more experts on this forum with some good advice on this topic.

Tony

Default If you do

decide to call bears this Sept - make sure to let the forum know your results as one "who has been there and done that"!

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    decide to call bears this Sept - make sure to let the forum know your results as one "who has been there and done that"!
    Good advise. That way we can learn what not to do (Just kidding).

Calling bear is exciting. If you want the hair on your neck to come up give it a try. I have done it with Black and they came in with a pupose. Made that night very interesting to walk out of the woods.
    Like what others said Walk up to your bait and calling is about in you can be in for a surprise.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default will do

My plan is to try to keep a log...weather, temp, elevation, what calls i used, ect, ect...ill keep it posted when i start...for those who are interested. But one question i have is should i start low or go as high as i can on the mountain...i guess ill start where the moose are. Thanks for all the advice.