Thread: River Guide Loses Appeal

Default River Guide Loses Appeal

Looks like the Judge got it right.
    http://www.frontiersman.com/news/fis...9bb2963f4.html

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Yeah so the moral is apparently don't rely on published regs and ADFG maps.

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post
    Nah, I think the moral is karma's a b*tch...

I find it ironic the same publication that hosts the "Best of the Valley" awards which found the charter business so great is publishing the article about the business owner appeal and issues with the law.

I wonder about the validity of the whole "best of" stuff and the publishers of the rag. Sounds like old network stuff going on and a way to advocate for the locals businesses in the area for a couple bucks?
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

No, the moral is don't be a crook. He knew exactly where he was at. I've seen him up there dozens of times before and after the flood. I watched him run up Clear Cr. numerous times after the flood and drive past where the old side braid of Clear Cr. used to flow and meet with Fish Cr. It's a dry creek bed now and he was well aware of it.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

And lets not get started on his other infractions…………..he knew what he is doing. He is exploiting the fish to line his wallet!!!!!!!!!! END OF STORY!!!!!!
    That is why he is so friendly with every one on the river NOT in his boat. I don't feel bad for the guy one bit, and further more it doesn't matter what a reg book says……if your a guide it is your job to know first hand.

The regulations were very clear;

-In the Fish Creek Drainage, only one unbaited, single-hook, artificiall lure is allowed.

Seems pretty straight forward, since he was using bait and multiple hooks. Again, everybody else knew the creek had changed, guides and non-guides. The creek had 80% less flow, you could walk up and see that Clear Cr. no longer met with Fish Cr., and I had seen him multiple times after the flood drive up Clear Cr. past where the old braid no longer flowed. He knew, he got caught, he lied, justice is served. This is a well known pattern for him. Look him up in Court View. No sympathy for this guy.

Read the articles. Said it was in the regs the way he said it was and the court of appeals said who cares.

and justice continues to be served. Just deleted his info from my favorites folder ...one less potential customer for him, and I'll be looking for someone up his way this summer. I have zero interest in doing business with him now.

He got what he deserved.If you are a guide it is your responsibility to know where you are fishing at.

Read the articles. Said it was in the regs the way he said it was and the court of appeals said who cares.
    Re-read the article, it's wasn't what the regulations said that was questioned, it was the maps in the regs that he was questioning.
    "Knowledge of the law was not at issue in 2011. Everyone agreed what the law was and that Blodgett knew it. The issue was whether he knew where he was fishing and whether he should have been expected to."

So the official maps said he was in the right?

So the official maps said he was in the right?
    There is no "official map". The maps provided in the regulations are for reference only. Since rivers change on a daily basis, the regulations are bound by language and not by a map that is not of scale. For example, the map on page 26 shows the mouth of Willow Creek. On the map, it shows just one creek entering the Big Susitna. Those of us that fish there know there are four different channels or braids from the Willow that enter the Big Susitna. The regulations for Willow Cr. are written out in language on page 28.
    Just because the map does not show all four braids of the Willow, it is still everyones responsibilty to know where they are fishing. These maps are not legal binding period. He's been guiding up there for many, many years. He does not need a map to know where Fish Creek is. He used that as his only excuse and everybody saw through his lies. The moral is, know where you are fishing and the maps in the regulations are for reference and not legal binding.

"The department even makes sure to note the laws apply to streams even when they’ve changed course."