Thread: Links to Closed areas and reopening orders.

Default Links to Closed areas and reopening orders.

Anyone have a link to Chugach National Forest snogo closures and the rescinding of said closures? I saw tracks last week in Turnagain Pass so they must have lifted the restrictions but I'll be darn if I can find the lifting of the shutdown and the areas now open. Any help out there? Thanks.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Anyone have a link to Chugach National Forest snogo closures and the rescinding of said closures? I saw tracks last week in Turnagain Pass so they must have lifted the restrictions but I'll be darn if I can find the lifting of the shutdown and the areas now open. Any help out there? Thanks.
    Just seeing tracks does not necessarily mean it is open, just that someone is riding. It could very well just be someone poaching closed areas.

Here is a link to the most recent snow report for the Chugach State Park that lists the open/closed status of park areas. http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/asp/chugachsnow.pdf

Currently, it appears that area is closed ("non-motorized").

Here is a link to the page that the above link came from and has access to other park areas information: http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/asp/curevnts.htm

Thanks for the links Skier. Lots of good info contained therein. Some confusion exists between jurisdictional boundaries. There is chugach state forest and chugach national forest properties. I am interested in Resurrection Pass trail section. In particular the Cooper Landing end. That appears to be Chu Nat Forest per map. I noticed Kenai Nat Wildlife Ref butts up against it and recently opened some of their areas. I can not find any info on the Res Trail Section.
    Any help in that area much appreciated. Maybe that area has no rules? Can't imaging that tho.

Thanks for the links Skier. Lots of good info contained therein. Some confusion exists between jurisdictional boundaries. There is chugach state forest and chugach national forest properties. I am interested in Resurrection Pass trail section. In particular the Cooper Landing end. That appears to be Chu Nat Forest per map. I noticed Kenai Nat Wildlife Ref butts up against it and recently opened some of their areas. I can not find any info on the Res Trail Section.
    Any help in that area much appreciated. Maybe that area has no rules? Can't imaging that tho.
    This is the only thing I could find quickly: http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/chugach/alerts-notices The latest for that general area seems to be from November 25th, but hard to tell if it extends as far as Cooper Landing since the attachment is only showing the northeastern portion of the area. I would suggest just calling the office tomorrow to figure out for sure. There is contact information at the link above.

Cod, on the last link that anchskier posted, upper right corner is a link titled winter motorized access maps. Click on that. After it downloads, page 22 is the map for the Resurrection trail.

Also, this is a good resource too: http://www.cnfaic.org Click on the current advisory, scroll down near the bottom and there will be a concise and current listing of what is open and closed in the Chugach NF.

Another thing to consider regarding seeing tracks. There is a reasonable chance if things are closed that the tracks are from park officials.

Thanks Nick... Your link was perhaps helpful. I was aware of the page 22 (exhibit N) in the other link that was put out showing it was closed on the Res trail area. That closure is what I'm trying to determine has expired.
    From your link....

Lost Lake Trail: Closed
    Primrose Trail: Closed
    Resurrection Pass Trail: Open Resurrection Pass is open to snowmachines during the winter of 2013/14.
    Snug Harbor: Open
    South Fork Snow River Corridor: Open
    Summit Lake: Open

The information in this advisory is from the U.S. Forest Service, which is solely responsible for its content. This advisory describes general avalanche conditions and local variations always occur. This advisory provided by the Chugach National Forest, in partnership with Friends of the Chugach National Forest Avalanche Information Center.

This is more an avalanche danger site however it does state it's in conjunction w Chu Nat For , so maybe it (page 22 closure) has expired. I had called and left msg w Forest Ranger in Seward Friday morn but did not hear back yet. Thought it funny that they don't post an easy to find retraction of said closures. I was hoping to be out there first thing in am. Oh well. Thanks guys!

Yes, I realize that last link is for an Avalanche danger site, but it is run by National Forest employees with knowledge of what is open and closed to snowmachines in the National Forest. So, I trust the information posted there.

The area shown on that Ressurection Trail map is open. Every area (within the NF) that can be open to snowmachines is, except for Twenty mile, Placer, Primrose, and Lost Lake trail. I totally understand if you want confirmation directly from the Forest Service.

I just pulled this off their website:

Partial opening of Chugach National Forest to motorized winter use.
    Release Date: Dec 20, 2013

Most of the Chugach opens to over-the-snow motorized use on December 20, so you can finally get out and ride. There are a few places where there is still not enough snow. Placer and Twentymile drainage and Primrose and Lost Lake areas will remain closed. However, Turnagain Pass and all other motorized areas, as described in the Chugach National Forest Plan, are open to motorized snow use. We will monitor Placer, Twentymile, Primrose and Lost Lake areas, and open these areas when there is sufficient snow to prevent resource damage.

Also check the Chugach National Forest Avalanche Information Center to access openings, closings and updated conditions. You can also call the avalanche hotline at (907) 754-2369 for current avalanche conditions and motorized openings.

These restrictions are in place for resource protection and the safety of all users, If you have any questions, please call one of our offices: Anchorage(907) 743-9500, Glacier Ranger District-(907) 783-3242, or Seward Ranger District-(907) 224-3374.
    Violations of motorized closures may result in a fine.

Sounds good to me. You must know a 'connection' perhaps? (A better association from which you are getting your info). It seems like a guy could google in some terms (like"Chu Nat Forest service snowmachine closures") and one would get some decent links. Plenty of 'info' out there, just getting to it seems tougher to do than should be.
    At any rate I sure appreciate the help u guys gave. Thanks. I'll start packing and hope to get out there. Thanks again.

Sounds good to me. You must know a 'connection' perhaps? (A better association from which you are getting your info). It seems like a guy could google in some terms (like"Chu Nat Forest service snowmachine closures") and one would get some decent links. Plenty of 'info' out there, just getting to it seems tougher to do than should be.
    At any rate I sure appreciate the help u guys gave. Thanks. I'll start packing and hope to get out there. Thanks again.
    http://www.cnfaic.org/

http://www.cnfaic.org/advisories/current.php