Thread: Soft Biters?

Default Soft Biters?

Can any of you fellas that catch burbot on a regular basis confirm they are soft biters? My buddy and I got one on the ice and lost a dandy on the solstice while jigging in a valley lake.

We were targeting them...of the 2, we had LOTS of bumps/tugs, very lite hits. Most play was right off the bottom, which the Vex was marking. I noticed when I cleaned mine how they seem to have a paper mouth, like a speck...which leads me to believe I pulled the hook on the dandy.

Anyway, good times!! Can't wait to get back after them this week.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

A speck...must be from the Midwest?

You bet!! Heck I thought everyone up here was/is from the mid-west! Born and raised in Fenton, MI.

Speck=Croppie...

Quote Originally Posted by lateralus View Post
    You bet!! Heck I thought everyone up here was/is from the mid-west! Born and raised in Fenton, MI.

Speck=Croppie...
    Um no. Born and raised right here in AK. Burbot can be aggressive hitters. But often it's jus hard to hook em good on the first pass..... Were y'all fishing big lake?

Release Lake Trout

agree, I normally get a distinct heavy bite, even with small fish and small jigs.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

"Lush(burbot)", hit light compared to pike, shee fish. Tend to feel like nibbles than strikes.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w8wZstS_oEU#

Hopefully that sheds a little light on the subject for you.
    My experience is, when they device they want it, it's a good bite.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by lateralus View Post

Speck=Croppie...
    Right on! I was born and raised just outside Grand Rapids. Our favorite place to fish for specks in Fremont Lake...ahh, the good ol days!!!!!

Significant former michigander population up here. Would love to go after burbot someday

Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w8wZstS_oEU#

Hopefully that sheds a little light on the subject for you.
    My experience is, when they device they want it, it's a good bite.

Very curious as to the time of year this is. I wonder if they are congregating for spawning. I have never had a burbot act like this. EVERY burbot I have ever witnessed pass through my hole attacked the offering aggresively. These seem only partially interested in the lure. We use some big horse herring at times and the result is the same. having said that I have never seen more than one burbot down a hole at once.

My experience after watching a few dozen strike my lure is that they hit with very convincing authority. Make no mistake about it, they are there to KILL whatever they are attacking. But once they clamp down on the bait, they tend to just sit there. So what you feel is a burbot inhaling a bait, and it crushing it for a while, then it slowly swims off. They never seem to be in much of a hurry though I have caught them trolling pretty fast in the summer. two seasons ago, I had a burbot clamp onto a dead hanging spoon and just sit there for a few minutes. I was lucky I didn't lose my rod as it was just propped up against a chair.

Obviously you can pull a hook from any fishes mouth but they are pretty tough. Where we do lose them is they inhale the lure/bait and they start grinding on it. You set the hook but really the fish had the lure/bait pinned in its mouth tight so the hook didn't move when you yanked to set the hook. They will hang on for a while but eventually they spit the hook. Set the hook HARD and multiple times with burbot would be my advice. I think that is as likely what happened in what you describe as the possibility of pulling the hook.

You can watch my rod as a 9lbs burbot hit my line.. Its at the 45 second mark or so.