Thread: waders whats everyone using

Default waders whats everyone using

Looking at getting a new set before the season thinking of waterfowl systems mx4 waders with the zippers anyone using them good bad report.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

My old pair went to heck towards the end of the season a couple years ago, and to find something fast in my size, had to buy some expensive neopreme at SW. They are fine and have no major problems with them, early season kinda warm if doing much walking, but with my set up, I walk very little, from one boat to another mostly, late season when cold out, they are quite comfortable. However, I have since seen the neo ones that cabelas has in their cataglogue, with full front zipper, and would lov to have them. If I were you would wait until the new store opens and take a look at them, they for sure will have some big opening sales also, so may work out well. Bud
    Wasilla

Early season I just use reg gortex Simms (fishing) waders w wading boots and then when cold weather sets in I switch to a bigger size gortex wader that has the 'boot on' feature. This allows multiple layers of warm socks as my feet are the first fatality to cold. Loose fitting waders etc always keep one warmer. Never had a prob with cold feet w the boot on, but they are more clumsy.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

The best waders I ever had was a pair of $89 Mad dog wader from Boondocks. They were a cheapo brand of 3.5mm neoprene with 600 grams of thinsulate in the boot. They worked well for lots of chasing cripples through the grass as well as sitting around waiting for the birds to come in. Ended up lasing me 6 years. I'm looking for another pair now, but have just been doing more goose hunting than duck hunting around here, so it hasn't been too high on my priority list.

I had a pair of hodgemans that had the zipper in the front. It was really nice but unfortunately, hodgeman waders just aren't what they used to be, and that zipper ended up failing on me in the middle of a hunt. The way I see it now, is the zipper front is just another part of the wader that has a chance to fail. With regular non zipper waders, that possibility doesn't exist so I just buy those from now on.

Drake makes a really nice pair as well, that have a lot of features. Things like locking boots to make them harder to slip off in the mud, built in hand warmers, call pouches, etc. Plus they come in 3 weights, EST, MST, or LST, (Early season, mid season, late season). You may want to look into those as well.

Simms waders are nice, but I just can't get myself to pay $600 for a pair of waders, especially a pair that doesn't come in camo, or boot foot, and no hand warmers or shell holders on the front. They really need to get their heads out of their butts and make a waterfowl line.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I don't own the zipper waders for fear of the zipper failing. I currently own a set of Mack's Grand Prairie waders that i have beaten the crap out of. I have probably put around 50 miles of walking on them as well as worn them riding around at Jim's creek and out panning for gold. They are very comfortable and keep you nice and warm.

Thanks to everyone for responding it was helpful Merry Christmas Chris

you as well Chris..

Hey..just saw this post..stay away from the zippers. I am sure there might be some out there that are money..but I just would not want to take a chance with anything giving in. Zippers can only last so long and on waders that is not something I would want to go out when in cold water her in AK...
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I have a pair of lacross breathables with the 600 gm insulated boot. I move around a TON since I don't have the pleasure of hunting with a dog and anything thicker would probably be the death of me. When it gets cold late season I just put a pair of thermals on under em with a foot warmer.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I'll add in my two cents on this one. Lacross have been hands down the best i have had. I got just shy of 5 full seasons out my brush tuffs before the knees failed on them. I can't reccomend the Drake waders though. the main problems i have with my drake MST waders they are less than one year old and the knee's are starting to rip, they are very low as far as the cuts under the arms go (almost tall hip waders), the shell loops on the waist are worthless and drop shells out when you bend over, and the shoulder straps are very long. That being said there are some nice features on them though, and they are very comfortable. But when these fail they will be replaced another pair of Lacross waders hands down. walking around the swamp up here in neoprene insulated waders sucks though no way around it. My usuall stuff i hunt here is a 3-5 mile wark round trip from the truck. I went across the inlet this year a couple friends and hunted with them jump shooting for a weekend. They all thought wow is he out of shape, till they realized what waders i was wearing all weekend.

I know for sure Im getting a set of breathables Ive always used chest wader without the zipper and now after reading all the post I think Ill stay away from them.

The gore-tex waders are the way to go. 5-layer, sock foot goes inside your wading boot. You can walk all day in those.

Simms stocking foot G3's for me. I got tired of patching my cheap neoprenes and could not stand having the boot foots on my Cabela's DryPlus waders pulled off in sticky mud. I just adjust layers depending on outside temps. I just sent my Simms in for a slow crotch leak after 3 years of trouble free use. They were fixed for free under warranty.

We rarely hunt multiple days in below freezing temps up here because once it gets that cold the birds head south. It's not like Outside where it may get cold for extended periods on the wintering grounds and the birds really don't have anywhere to go.