Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10mm use on game?

Default 10mm use on game?

I've noticed a number of comments about people carrying 10's, how are they actually performing on largish critters, bears in particular? Are they penetrating well, breaking bones and shooting through or deep? Any thoughts on how the game performance compares to 44's and 45's with heavy solids or other hunting loads? Bullets to stay away from or use for bigger animals?

So far all I've seen is references to finishing shots or on deer or caribou size animals. Was wondering how they do on heavier animals and big bones.

Many years ago in Ester Island Passage. I put a "Finishing Shot" in a 5'6" black bear with a .41 magnum. I hit him in the throat while he was facing me with a 210gr. factory load. The bullet bounced off of the neck bone and exited out the right side. It did not penetrate the bone, but did crack it. The next day I took that gun to Dusty and traded it for a .44 mag Super Blackhawk. I know a Trooper who shot a Black Bear down near Kake, AK. He stated that in his opinion, the 10mm is marginal for that job. He did kill the bear, but he said that he probably would not try it again. Elmer Keith said that the ideal police handgun is a .40 caliber gun pushing a 180 gr. bullet at 1000f/s. I believe him.

Pm forum member AKroustabout on here. He has taken several black bears with his 10mm, to include at least one very large specimen. I believe he used heavy hardcast ammo from DT on all of them.

Problem with the 10mm is a lack of good bullets. The standard 180gr JHP is a little light, even for deer. The heavy cast bullet loads such as those from Double Tap, or an equivalent handload, are a much better choice. Beartooth has a nice 200gr LBT.

10mm is hot 357mag power, maybe just a shade above but not much. Now that is nothing to sneeze at but is very marginal for a brown bear defense round, plenty for black or moose though.

Like the 357 and 41mag 10mm is a round with a policing history and there are a lot of reduced power/low penetration ammo out there for them. With any of them you need to chose ammo carefully but all of them have great ammo and bullets available, heavy hard cast lead is your best bullet choice.

I like 10mm, I like it a lot! Its about the most you can get out of a normal semi-auto pistol. There are hotter 45 caliber rounds but they need extra stuff on the gun or they beat it to death pretty fast. Never killed anything with it yet but have shot thousands of rounds of it and have zero doubt about how it would do. Id have no fear hunting black bear or moose with 10mm at appropriate ranges and picking my shots . . .
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Back in the 70's and early 80's (before the 10 came along) I klanked deer with about every handgun round I could get my hands on- specifically the 380, 9mm, 38sp, 357 mag, 357 max, 41 mag, 44sp, 45 colt, 45ACP and 44mag, all with a range of bullets. Have to say the semi's including the 45acp suffered terribly from limitations on bullet design. Anything that would function reliably in the semi's just didn't hack it on deer. I wouldn't have used any of them then on bear, and always held my breath on deer. Heck, even a 158 grain hardcast SWC at 750fps from a 38sp killed deer faster than a 45acp ball round. Kinda shook my faith in the gun and the round for defense, much less for game.

I'm out of touch with current semi bullets because frankly I don't like them. I hate losing half or more of the brass when I shoot, and I still haven't got over those early experiences with marginal bullets.

If.... And it's a BIG if.... If I could get reliable feeding from hardcast bullets with big meplats or controlled expansion jacketed rounds that actually expand (if that's what you want), I'd have lots more faith in them for deer. But for bear........ Next topic. I'm just not going to try it, and will leave the advice to others who've actually poked holes in bear hides with the rounds.

Premium Member

I've shot deer, pigs and one black bear with a 10mm, all with DoubleTap 200 gr bonded or handloads. Performance was excellent.

I frequently carry the 10mm as back up or bear protection, but I am under no illusions that it will perform as well as a .44 Mag, .460 or .500. I carry it because I am most comfortable with the 1911 format or the Glock format, and I know that I can hit where I want to hit with all 9 shots during rapid fire. With the .44 revolver, I only hit 50% during rapid fire. I keep telling myself to just man up and practice with the .44 more, but I never get around to it.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by guns_and_labs View Post
    I've shot deer, pigs and one black bear with a 10mm, all with DoubleTap 200 gr bonded or handloads. Performance was excellent.

I frequently carry the 10mm as back up or bear protection, but I am under no illusions that it will perform as well as a .44 Mag, .460 or .500. I carry it because I am most comfortable with the 1911 format or the Glock format, and I know that I can hit where I want to hit with all 9 shots during rapid fire. With the .44 revolver, I only hit 50% during rapid fire. I keep telling myself to just man up and practice with the .44 more, but I never get around to it.

Are you able to fire faster, with the Auto?

And, is the functioning reliable, (No jams) ?

If both are true, you might be better off than with the 44?

I'm still practicing with my 44, but not enough, of course. And, my 357.

If I were an Auto person, I'd go with the 10mm. I don't for the same reasons as BB mentioned.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Are you able to fire faster, with the Auto?

And, is the functioning reliable, (No jams) ?

If both are true, you might be better off than with the 44?
    I actually tested myself one time, at a USPSA course. I set up a moving target, moving towards me from 20 yards. I set it as fast as it would go (though I'm sure it's not as fast as a bear). I was able to shoot to slide lock on the 10mm, A zone hits every time, and have time left over. With the S&W 629, only three of six were A zone. Which, of course, proves that I need to practice more or stay further away from charging bears made out of cardboard.

I've never had a jam on the 10mm with the Doubletap ammo, though I have with HSM FMJ practice rounds.

I actually forgot the reason I bought the G20.....must of been protection based on both man and black bears. So to the ops question, I believe my 200xtp's and the beartooth 200grn will penetrate if I need them in close. I've killed plenty of black bears with about every caliber so I see no reason why not a 10mm. I carry mine to not persuade or kill bears on purpose but for them nasty hateful 2 legged aliens that have no business being where I am at with there wrong intentions. I like long guns over short ones any day except in my tent.

Just bought a Glock 20 10 MM and practiced with it with 220 Gr BB Cast bullets, stock barrel heavy spring and guide rod. Was very care-full not to shoot jacketed loads before cleaning any lead. No malfunctions and accurate. Carried it moose hunting and like it. Used it to finish 2 moose this year. Been working up loads with 220 gr hard cast bullets with Bluedot accurate and function well. Long time S&W model 29 user with cast bullets
    and so far prefer the Glock.

KK,

Whose 220 gr bullet or mold are you using please? I'd like to do the same with bluedot and a 6" KKM barrel.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Local guy in Palmer Lee Stoner had them I bought a 100 to try. Pre lubed and hard enough so they did not lead. Have not chronoed them yet but very accuate and regulated to sights. Lee,s bullets are first rate been shooting them for years.

Stoner Bullets (Wasilla, Alaska)

5350 Dunbar Drive, Wasilla, Alaska 99654, USA 99654, Wasilla, Alaska, US
    (907) 376-9488

Thanks KK!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    10mm is hot 357mag power, maybe just a shade above but not much. Now that is nothing to sneeze at but is very marginal for a brown bear defense round, plenty for black or moose though.

Like the 357 and 41mag 10mm is a round with a policing history and there are a lot of reduced power/low penetration ammo out there for them. With any of them you need to chose ammo carefully but all of them have great ammo and bullets available, heavy hard cast lead is your best bullet choice.

I like 10mm, I like it a lot! Its about the most you can get out of a normal semi-auto pistol. There are hotter 45 caliber rounds but they need extra stuff on the gun or they beat it to death pretty fast. Never killed anything with it yet but have shot thousands of rounds of it and have zero doubt about how it would do. Id have no fear hunting black bear or moose with 10mm at appropriate ranges and picking my shots . . .
    AD is right on the money about the low power ammo. I've got two .41's, a Taurus revolver and a Marlin lever action. Most of the factory ammo on the market was too light for any real game shooting. I bought custom made 240 gr hollow points from Hawk bullets and had them loaded within SAAMI specs the same as a .44. I've never measured the velocity, but because of the slightly smaller diameter the .41 should come out the barrel at a higher velocity; i.e. more punch than a .44 with a 240gr bullet. I have two loads, fast burning powder for the revolver and slow burning powder for the rifle.

I usually shoot reloads in all my guns. I have bought Federal 250 gr Castcore loads for the .41. They list 1160 FPS; I haven't run them over the speed screens to see. They function fine in my gun. SWH in Wasilla carried them. I've never shot an animal with the gun, but I expect (believe?) better performance than listed in #2 above with either the Federal load or my handloads.

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

That will be a very hard hitting .41.

i have used the Hornady XTP in weights 155-200 for deer. I havent had a chance at a bear yet, but I would go with a 200gr or heavier if I was intentionally going for bear. Pick a bullet and stick with it for everything, keep your shots inside your effective range and you'll have no problems with the 10mm.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Pm forum member AKroustabout on here. He has taken several black bears with his 10mm, to include at least one very large specimen. I believe he used heavy hardcast ammo from DT on all of them.

Yes, I have killed black bears, one was a toad, large for the area and was a complete pass thru. I have also put down caribou, finsihed two moose, and have nothing but good things to say about how the hard case penetrates deep! I have been hunting for a brown bear with it too, only gun I take, but haven't found a legal bear to shoot yet. I will def try this spring to kill a brownie with my G20. Granted, its a long slide SS version with a KKM 6" bbl. I am no longer a dealer for a Lone Wolf or Double Tap ammo though. Still shoot the DT 230gr Hardcast, but practice mostly with .22lr with the advantage arms kit. Love the set up I have.

Also read what Tenmm has to say, as well as BRWNBR, and I have old posts aswell floating around with pics, here and in the hunting forum, and maybe the bear baiting forum. Most proud shot was a 70+ yard shot on a caribou.

PM me if anyone needs info. DT ammo, when you can find it, is a good option, cause its Gas Checked. Buffalo bore, which I want to try, is not, so def don't shoot that out of a stock bbl.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Yes, I have killed black bears, one was a toad, large for the area and was a complete pass thru. I have also put down caribou, finsihed two moose, and have nothing but good things to say about how the hard case penetrates deep! I have been hunting for a brown bear with it too, only gun I take, but haven't found a legal bear to shoot yet. I will def try this spring to kill a brownie with my G20. Granted, its a long slide SS version with a KKM 6" bbl. I am no longer a dealer for a Lone Wolf or Double Tap ammo though. Still shoot the DT 230gr Hardcast, but practice mostly with .22lr with the advantage arms kit. Love the set up I have.

Also read what Tenmm has to say, as well as BRWNBR, and I have old posts aswell floating around with pics, here and in the hunting forum, and maybe the bear baiting forum. Most proud shot was a 70+ yard shot on a caribou.

PM me if anyone needs info. DT ammo, when you can find it, is a good option, cause its Gas Checked. Buffalo bore, which I want to try, is not, so def don't shoot that out of a stock bbl.
    I forget more than I remember now-a-day but do remember BRWNBR's answer to shooting big bears with a 10mm. He said yes he would and on purpose. I would also bet that he is very efficient with his 10mm.

It is not hard to build confidence with a Glock. Shooting plates is a lot different than facing down a big bear I'm sure, but then how do you practice overcoming the fear that would be associated with bear charge? Either you keep a cool head or you don't. I know that I can empty all 15 rounds out of a Glock and keep them on target in the same amount of time that I can get off six shots in single action mode with a 44. I have never gotten to the point shooting double action with any 44mag that I would want to rely on it to stay alive and I have practiced plenty at it!

Andy, are you still as fond of the EEA 10mm as you used to be? I've pondered getting one for a long time but haven't. I'm bored with using a 41 or 44 on deer and need to trade one off on a 10mm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast