Thread: light weight outer shell wear?

Default light weight outer shell wear?

I cant decide what to buy for this spring hunt, I have lots of layer clothing that's high quality, but what about an outer windproof/waterproof top and bottom? I been looking at the under armour ridge reaper set, and the kryptek koldo highlander set. any thoughts on these or should I be looking elsewhere? thank you

http://www.kryptekstore.com/Koldo-Co...nder-P141.aspx

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e...pid1238312-920

JB

I purchased the Kryptek Koldo set this fall. Lightweight, waterproof. and plenty of zippers for vents when hiking. I have no experience with the uderarmour but I am very happy with the Kryptek. Expensive but worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod123 View Post
    I purchased the Kryptek Koldo set this fall. Lightweight, waterproof. and plenty of zippers for vents when hiking. I have no experience with the uderarmour but I am very happy with the Kryptek. Expensive but worth it.
    yea kryptek caught my eye because right now until 12/31/13 they have a sale going on where you can buy all the top and bottom as a set for a really good price. the koldo set is 337$ right now free shipping

your on the right track...any good goretex will work. i use mountain hardware (conduit series has served me well and is very lightweight) and i've also put a full set of cabelas "alaskan guide series" through the ringer these past two seasons...i've completely worn them out, but am VERY immpressed with the gortex they used and its toughness...theyve actually proved a little tougher than the mountain hardware (though heavier) they were given to me to test and wear for a filmed hunt or i wouldve never tried them due to price...turned out that theyre probably worth the price. i was impressed. and would definitely pay the money for them now.

ninefoot
    Is that the Cabellas rain gear you are refering to? If so I have been wearing the bibs and parka for the past 4 yrs with no complaints at all. Just layer appropriatly. I stayed bone dry on a couple of really nasty 14 day Kodiak hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by ALASKA RASTUS View Post
    ninefoot
    Is that the Cabellas rain gear you are refering to? If so I have been wearing the bibs and parka for the past 4 yrs with no complaints at all. Just layer appropriatly. I stayed bone dry on a couple of really nasty 14 day Kodiak hunts.
    didnt see it on your link...its the "alakan guide series" gor tex rain gear cabelas is putting out(not the MT050 which is complete garbage in my opinion) . thick gortex, i've got the pants and parka. pants have suspender buttons and belt loops and (most importantly) zip to hip on both legs....something i require in rain bottoms. they are very spendy...specially for a cableas brand...but 2 years of hard use for me is comparable to many normal years of use (due to my work), so i was fairly immpressed with them. the only raingear i've ever been able to get more than two years out of are helly hansen impertech...but rubber is too heavy for my taste these days.

i dont have any experience with the kryptek or underarmour rain gear...but goretex in general is getting better and better. look for multiple layer thick gortex for durablility, and the single layer stuff for ultralight packabliitly.

whoops sorry...guess u didnt even have a link, cause it automatically threw the same one up for me as soo as i printed rain gear
    ...my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by jbreadyrltw View Post
    I cant decide what to buy for this spring hunt, I have lots of layer clothing that's high quality, but what about an outer windproof/waterproof top and bottom? I been looking at the under armour ridge reaper set, and the kryptek koldo highlander set. any thoughts on these or should I be looking elsewhere? thank you

JB
    I have the Kryptek Koldo and while it is a nice jacket it is NOT what I would consider a lightweight at 26 OZs, If you like the Kryptek line I would look at the Poseidon Jacket 11.5 OZs. I have been using the Kuiu Chugach jacket 18.2 OZs for 3 years of hard use and it is still going strong.

Have a look at this link for a good comparison.

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-0...acket-shootout
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by jbreadyrltw View Post

JB
    Bought the son a set of the Under Armour for Xmas a couple years ago and he swears buy it.

Personally I detest, no absolutely hate Under Armor. I have gone more and more with Core4Element, almost exclusively obtain thru camofire.com and I have several items of different weight. All have held up on par with Sitka Gear and of equal quality, but better priced.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

What about us tall guys? None of this quality gear fits us!

Kryptek. Kryptek. Kryptek.

I have the Koldo Highlander set. Couldn't be happier. Pretty good setup for here in Kodiak.

Quote Originally Posted by iusckeeper View Post
    Im 6' 3" and the only good quality hardshell I've found to fit me well is arcteryx in some of their cuts of jacket (they have a few different cuts available). I have one for sale if any tall guy is looking for one.

Quote Originally Posted by iusckeeper View Post
    the mountain harware stuff and the cabelas stuff i mentioned both come in sizes ideal for bigger guys...sitka gear DOES NOT in my experience...the only stuff i can utilize so far from sitka is a favorite vest...and i love the ascent pants. cant do any tops with sleeves (shoulders are too tight) and cant do ANY of their outwear or rainwear and still be able to layer and move. not sure about kryptek or kuiu...but the stuff i listed does fine. i'm 6'3 250 pounds in "sheep" shape...a big guy, so i know your pain in finding rain gear and outer layer stuff thats fits over layers and still enables a guy to move around.

my boss is 6'5...so far all i've ever seen him in for rain gear is mountain harware. they have plenty of gear suitable to tall guys. they arent a hunting company though. we've ask them to make some camo gear...they didnt have a problem with it, but wouldnt on the merit that they'd lose alot of their little greenie climber crowd...that was disparaging to my boss and i, but theyre right, the dumb *******s would proly boycott em if they came out with a camo line. they got plenty of neutral colors though. i personally dont give a rats ass...im out there too often, and appreciate quality gear too much to judge gear makers on political merit...

The price for the Krypto Koldo looks tough to beat. I have the light weight/packable Sitka shell, used it for two years but in open country, not the tight stuff where you're getting poked with willows all the time. Love the pit zips/pockets and hood adjustments. Very light, compact. Keep it off climbing up mountains to not sweat to death, put it on at the top to stay warm on the hunt down. I really like it. No clue how it compares to the others mentioned here.