Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cartridge carriers

Default Cartridge carriers

Wondering how many on here use a cartridge carrier for extra ammo? I use a leather one that laces onto the buttstock on my 300 Win Mag, and this one for my 375 Ruger, slides onto my belt.IMG_0713.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by AKBman View Post
    Wondering how many on here use a cartridge carrier for extra ammo? I use a leather one that laces onto the buttstock on my 300 Win Mag, and this one for my 375 Ruger, slides onto my belt.IMG_0713.jpg
    I've used belt ammo carriers for a long while, but can't warm up to anything extra on my rifle. I've found that those type of carriers mess up the balance/handling and I don't need immediate access to extra cartridges so simply having them along on my person is more than fast enough........
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I use those black elastic ones on a .300WM and a .270, neither of them works great but I've been too busy/lazy/broke to find an alternative and they are better than nothing. I found a carrier for something like 12 12ga. shells that goes on my belt that I really like in the early fall. Call me paranoid but I can't stand going in the woods without way more ammo than I think i'll actually need!

I use the black ones made by Uncle Mikes I believe, that go on your belt. Holds 10 extra rounds, works with multiple calibers, and are very durable. I'm on my second one in about 12 years.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

I have one of the elastic slip on ones that goes on the butt of the stock.

With the fat .300WSM carriages they hold tight and very secure.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have never needed EXTRA cartridges..........

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I have on one occasion needed the exact number of cartridges I was carrying.

I like this one due to the warmth compared to the Zytel stock, I often don't even put cartridges in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I think they're neat.

When actually hunting I wouldn't be without one on my belt in front of my hunting knife. I use the buttstock ones on my Marlin 30-30, and one of my Shootguns, but all of my BA rifles have the Monte Carlo type stocks, and they don't work with those.

I prefer the Nylon ones, because they take up less space than leather

I have slings that can carry cartridges too, but with anything that attaches to your rifle, cartridges can be lost, if I'm not careful.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I've used belt ammo carriers for a long while, but can't warm up to anything extra on my rifle. I've found that those type of carriers mess up the balance/handling and I don't need immediate access to extra cartridges so simply having them along on my person is more than fast enough........
    +1. I noticed the same thing when I put one of those elastic ones on my 300 RUM and stuffed it full with about 10 rounds. I believe it added like a lb. of weight and completely changed the whole balance of the rifle!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    +1. I noticed the same thing when I put one of those elastic ones on my 300 RUM and stuffed it full with about 10 rounds. I believe it added like a lb. of weight and completely changed the whole balance of the rifle!
    You don't hafta fill it up with 10 rounds. 3 or 4 would be enough.

The important thing for me is that I have cartridges readily available, and the belt carriers I have, 3 of them, fold, and drop down with 9 and 9 loops, 18 in all.

Some FLs come in plastic thingys that can be used as ammo carriers on your belt. I don't know how well they would work, I haven't tried them that way, but I did cut one in half, and my wife carries it in her pocket. It keeps them from rattling around.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Then there is the Mexican Bandito option.

Mexican-Banditos.jpg
    You can't out-give God.

I just load 'er up and throw the rest of the box in my daypack....along with everything else, knife, even bino's....or the .44! lol .....when you're bustin alders anything sticking out more than necessary is a total pain.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    .....when you're bustin alders anything sticking out more than necessary is a total pain.
    Undeniable, that.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Knock on wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

I wrap a few extra rounds in a paper towel or piece of cloth so they don't clink and clank and stick them in my coat pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    I wrap a few extra rounds in a paper towel or piece of cloth so they don't clink and clank and stick them in my coat pocket.

What about AFTER you take a dump, and use up the paper?

Where are you then, Hunh? Yer back to clanking, that's where.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Naw Smitty, what you do is put one round in each of your pockets. That way you don't have to search for a round cause no matter what pocket you look in there's a round there. I did make one for my Savage OU 22/410 from leather as it only holds one round each of 22/410. Sometime you run into more than one critter that needs dispatched.

Can't stand the things. If I carry ANY extra ammo, it's in one of my pockets. I've seen many folks leave with a full buttstock ammo carrier, and come back missing several ctgs. and never fired a shot.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

those butt stock carriers work just fine with a few precautions - If you carry a drop out clip gun then you'd better have another, loaded, somewhere handy too - one behind each ear, 2 in between fingers of the forend hand, HECK ! how many rounds does a guy (or gal) need ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast