Thread: warm gloves

Default warm gloves

I will be wolf hunting in Feb. north of Kotz. I have trouble keeping my hands warm and would prefer to wear gloves rather than mitts. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Jim

Default warm gloves

I build ice roads all winter on the north slope. These are Warmest gloves out there. From grabbing water hoses and connections all day long that are frozen they are hands down the best and warmest. Kinkos gloves
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Kinco's are pretty nice.....for slopers....lol....the high-viz ones wear out in a couple days, at $30 a pop if you don't have to buy your own, it's a good deal ....I'm pretty sold on the wells lamont 555's, they're warm, waterproof, tough, and have good finger sensitivity....better bring those mitts too though.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by fishingdiago View Post
    I will be wolf hunting in Feb. north of Kotz. I have trouble keeping my hands warm and would prefer to wear gloves rather than mitts. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Jim
    wouldnt we all like to wear gloves intead! but fact is mitts are warmer, always. i like common cheap fleece liners inside expedition weight Outdoor Research mitts. when i used to do more trapping and cold weather fur calling i'd keep some shake em up hand warmers to drop in the mitts when still or riding for long distnaces. my hands have horrible circulation and are cold often, but that system seems to work well for me. beaver mitts are just a touch warmer than those OR mitts i like, but theyre much heavier, which is key if your afoot instead of on a machine.

I think a glove "system" is your best bet, several companies make them. Get one that's got a good goretex liner glove and quality outer shell. Wear the shells majority of the time, take it off the shooting hand when you start hunting. I don't hunt when it's super cold but this system has worked for me around 0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had really good luck with some "ski gloves" and "mittens" I picked up at Costco a few years ago. They have a zippered pocket designed for use with "Hot Hands" chemical heater packs ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hot-Hands-...-10pk/17808715 ). They worked great on several winter moose hunts in -20 degree temps.

I've tried a lot of things. Currently I start with a merino liner glove, then fingerless wool gloves that have the mitten that flips down over the fingers. Mitt is held out of the way by a magnet that mates with another positioned on the back of the glove. Beaver mitts for over the whole shebang. For shooting I will often shuck the whole thing and shoot bare handed, knowing that it will be cold. And I carry some of the little heater packs to help with those times when the fingers get cold.

Good luck.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Quote Originally Posted by ninefoot View Post
    i like common cheap fleece liners inside expedition weight Outdoor Research mitts.
    I like that exact combo as well. Above zero I substitute the OR mitts for OR gloves, but still use the basic fleece liners with them.

Black Diamond Equipment has a whole bunch of excellent gloves and mitts too, but they are a bit spendy. I guess though if they keep you happy and warm the money spent on them can be justified.

How are you getting "north of Kotz?" Snogo? Airplane? If it is snogo, hopefully it has hand warmers and gauntlets. Will you be sitting in one spot? If so, you will want mittens if it is 10 degrees or colder.
    Wear a glove, like a cotton glove, inside a large mitten. You can glass with mittens and then remove them when you shoot.
    Who are you hunting with? Haven't they given you some ideas? Cabelas sells bettery powered heated gloves.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks everyone for the help! In looking at the outdoor research mitts or other gloves I am having a hard time knowing if they are worth close to $200. I don't mind spending money for quality items if they will work. Does anyone have any experience with the high end gloves?

Thanks

I have some expensive OR gloves and mitts as I posted about. I use them for climbing peaks on snowshoes. They are warm, and worth the money I spent on them.

That being said, I think dollar to dollar Black Diamond Equipment makes better. I just have to wear out what I have now before I can sensibly spend more on gloves and mitts, but will be trying the BD offerings when the time comes.

I bought a pair of Cabelas heated gloves last year for a winter moose hunt. Temps dropped to -20 for part of the hunt. At times I would spend at least two hours just standing and watching feed areas. My hands stayed very warm and I never ran them on the warmest setting. The batteries would last about three to four hours on the two mid-range settings so you will want at least one extra set. I am very pleased with these. Good Luck

Wear regular winter gloves with mil-surp arctic mitts over them. The mitts can be quickly ditched on suspended dummy cords when you need to operate with gloved hands.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by fishingdiago View Post
    Thanks everyone for the help! In looking at the outdoor research mitts or other gloves I am having a hard time knowing if they are worth close to $200. I don't mind spending money for quality items if they will work. Does anyone have any experience with the high end gloves?

Thanks
    Well, it depends. Arctic mittens like those available from Apocalypse Design, Midnight Mushing, or Northern Outfitters are hard to beat when worn over fleece gloves or chore gloves. That's what I do when I'm running dogs or out on the snow machine. But when I'm, say, ice fishing and the temperature's above -20F I go with some good insulated mittens with hardwarmers tucked inside, with "wristies" underneath, and the mittens come off when I need to reel a fish in or get it off the hook. I have not bought the expensive Patagucci-type mittens because I don't think they're better than the higher-end Grandoes or Manzellas and they're more than twice as much money. Arctic musher-style mittens are definitely much, much, much warmer than the mountaineering-oriented ones, although they're still pretty spendy, but they're basically overmitts and come off as soon as you need to use your hands for something other than hanging on.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time