Thread: Taking weapons through Canada

Default Taking weapons through Canada

Next Sept I will be flying and my friend will be driving from NM to Fairbanks for a moose hunt, after the hunt we will both drive back to NM. We are discussing how we are going to get our weapons to Fbks and back to NM.

How much of a pain is it to get the Canadian papers in order to transport our weapons through Canada and do they hassle you at the border? (PAL and ATT papers) This way seems to be the easiest way if there arenít any issues with Canada.

One additional note; my friend is driving up a few weeks early and would be taking my weapons with him, are there any issues with him transporting my weapons through Canada?.

Anyone have any thoughts?

JP

Through other threads of the same query over time I have collected some helpfull links to the authority; http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/menu-eng.html , http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/i.../index-eng.htm

These should get you what you need to know.

Contact the Consulate Office in your state. You should be able to get all the paperwork done prior to crossing the border; ask the about transporting someone else's when you talk with them, but I don't think it will be a problem as long as all the weapons are on the same paperwork. I've driven through 3 times with multiple long guns with no issues. You have to pay a fee when you enter Canada, I don't remember how much, but its not a lot. The fee must be in Canadian Dollars; they will not accept any other currency. You cannot transport handguns or rifles with barrels shorter than 18" through Canada without a special permit; which you can ask about at the consulate, but it is a hassle and you may get hassled at the border, even if you get the permit. I wouldn't even attempt transporting handguns through Canada. Mine were transported by my wife when she flew up and if I leave I'll have mine shipped to an FFL in the lower 48.
    ďDon't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Quote Originally Posted by JPD350 View Post
    Next Sept I will be flying and my friend will be driving from NM to Fairbanks for a moose hunt, after the hunt we will both drive back to NM. We are discussing how we are going to get our weapons to Fbks and back to NM.

How much of a pain is it to get the Canadian papers in order to transport our weapons through Canada and do they hassle you at the border? (PAL and ATT papers) This way seems to be the easiest way if there arenít any issues with Canada.

One additional note; my friend is driving up a few weeks early and would be taking my weapons with him, are there any issues with him transporting my weapons through Canada?.

Anyone have any thoughts?

JP
    I brought a boatload through when we moved here and the kid that filled out the paper work was very nice and I had no issues. Now, you could have a totally different experience since mine was in Haines in the middle of winter and the kid was just glad to see someone lol

I just came across with 2,000 rounds of ammunition. The biggest concern was fruit and vegetables. They never looked at the ammunition or the 100 pounds of venison.

I always have a prepared list of what is in the vehicle and my paperwork ready at the booth. It helps them "sums you up".

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

This summer when I came through it cost me $25 and that allowed me to bring both of my rifles along on the same permit. Before you cross the border, stop at the US customs and declare the rifles. They will write down the serial numbers, make, model, etc. and with that paper life is much easier, but make sure you do it BEFORE you cross. The permit lasts 60 days. With that paper work you should be able to get through without much hassle (knock on wood).

Just did it last sept. good descriptions above. You will need 3 things.

1 register firearms at US.customs crossing before you go into Canada. Not required but makes things easier coming back into us.

2. Fill out Canadian declaration form from Internet. The border guard will send you into the office to pay the fee. Only have to do this once & show the paperwork on the way back through. Your buddy's form won't work for you if he enters coming and you going.
    3. Going back into Canada from ak don't forget to stop at us customs again if you have game to fill out the us fish & wildlife form.

We only had long guns, not sure about pistolss, Canadians are touchy about those.
    And don't forget your passport.

Quote Originally Posted by Bfish View Post
    ...We only had long guns, not sure about pistols, Canadians are touchy about those.
    Handguns are not as prohibited as some think. Restrictions are largely based on barrel length. Criteria is clearly spelled out on the paperwork. (Do your homework before you leave home tho!).
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by OKElkHunter View Post
    Contact the Consulate Office in your state. The fee must be in Canadian Dollars; they will not accept any other currency.
    Credit cards will work also - not sure which one they accepted, but MC & Visa are almost universilaly accepted. As far as the consulate goes, they'll tell you to print the form off the internet (as was suggested on another post.

Appreciate the info

I am not going to hunt next year in Canada but I am wondering what hunters do for personal protection that hunt in grizzly territory in Canada, no hand guns?

Travelled through several times this summer with different combinations of four firearms...North Dakota through Canada to Juneau then Canada and Interior Alaska. Cost is $25 (Canadian) and last trip through was after 60 days but the original form was used over and over again. US Passport and being conviction free makes for an easy transit. In the past, my buddy and I passed through with all our rifles under his name (saved the additional charge) so you could let all the rifles go up with guy driving.

Quote Originally Posted by JPD350 View Post
    Appreciate the info

I am not going to hunt next year in Canada but I am wondering what hunters do for personal protection that hunt in grizzly territory in Canada, no hand guns?
    Your rifle will be more grizzly protection than a pistol ever will be.

But ohhhhh, for the days when you just declared your pistol at the border and they put it in a heavy plastic bag that was sealed with a lead seal that was crimped on the bag. You were good to go as long as the pistol stayed in the bag. If the pistol was found out of a sealed bag or if the bag developed a hole in it, you were in trouble.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett