Thread: Traps and trails on the Kenai

Default Traps and trails on the Kenai

Just an FYI what was sent out as a public trail update for the Turnagain Area...

"The Forest Service received a report of traps set under trail bridges on the Iditarod National Historic Trail near the Muskeg Meadow trailhead – MP 72.5 of the Seward Hwy. I checked the report out yesterday and found the 2 traps that were reported, the first one had an ermine trapped in it, the trap was set under the bridge inside a white plastic bucket, the bucket was large enough for any dog to get into trouble, and the bucket would make it harder to remove this trap! The 2nd was same set-up, conibear trap (harder to release…esp inside a bucket), not sprung, ready for an animal to get caught.

These traps are between the Seward Hwy & Ingram Creek. There were signs of other traps set off the trail but I did not see any other traps.

Please share to prevent dogs from getting caught, share as much as possible!

FYI, it is totally legal for these trap to be where they are, but it goes against the trapper’s “code of ethics”, no. 3 which states:
    “Promote trapping methods that will reduce the possibility of catching non-target animals.”

By placing traps on a recreation trail, this trapper is promoting a method that has a high likelihood of catching a non-target animals….your pet!"

And some folks on a facebook group are talking about "accidentally" washing them away in the creek or triggering them. If these are your traps... the location is now public knowledge and some folks sound like they want to screw with them....

I Don't agree with the placement but anyone messing with those traps should be prosecuted especially if they remove them.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”--Benjamin Franklin

"I Don't agree with the placement " Ditto, But it is legal and those dogs should also legally be on a leash so how can you complain when the trapper is following the law and a pet owner with an unleashed dog is not?????
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

" traps set under trail bridges " is what it say's, " By placing traps on a recreation trail " is what you said.......... so which is it, under the bridge or on the trail? Big difference between the too..............
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

Quote Originally Posted by thunder chicken1 View Post
    "I Don't agree with the placement " Ditto, But it is legal and those dogs should also legally be on a leash so how can you complain when the trapper is following the law and a pet owner with an unleashed dog is not?????
    I don't think the Kenai borough has a leash law, technically?

I wouldn't have put my traps there either for the record...

"I don't think the Kenai borough has a leash law, technically?" I looked it up and you are correct sir. Seems like a conflict waiting to happen IMO.......

I saw these traps this week walking my dog. They are in 2 gallon buckets ones a #1 long spring one is a 110. These won't hurt a dog. If the trappers traps where getting messed with though I'd think he might place traps that would hurt dogs. Just my two cents. My dog found them and I wasn't worried but I wouldn't be happy if the trapper had 330s down there.