Thread: Airline Traveling With Rods

currently in Virginia - moving to Anchorage

Default Airline Traveling With Rods

Hello,

I mostly own 1 piece rods that are 6 foot plus and when put in a rod case you can tack on about another 6 inches. The airlines are wanting to charge me $50 extra (and that's not round trip) because of the length. Does everyone pay it because "what else are you gonna do", any advice out there? Thanks

Eric

Eric,
    Rather then spending 100$ round trip for your rods invest it in a rod that breaks down. Might not be top of the line but a Ugly Stik will cost you around 70$ to 120$. Or mail them to where your going, might be cheaper? The air lines charging you 50$ one way is B.S. its not like they wont fit in the plane. Where ever your heading catch one for me....

No airline I know of does this?

Most airlines have exceptions for sporting equipment like skis and fishing rods. They DO NOT charge oversize for that. Alaska Air, United, Lufthansa, are the most recent 3 - didn't charge me a dime.

In fact, Alaska Air lets you check a fishing rod case as a FREE third bag (I think it is 2 rods, 2 reels, a tackle "set", and maybe a few other items - see their website). Yee haw. They used to count fishing rods and now they don't. I hope they don't read this website - but I gave them $50 each way for years and never complained.

Did you tell them it was a fishing rod?

Pocket the $100 and instead buy duct tape and paper clips. Just bring your reel or reels. You can find a suitable six to seven foot stick once on the river of choice and use that as your rod. The line guides can be made by twisting paperclips which are attached to the rod/stick with duct tape. Duct tape can also be used for handle pads and keeping your reel on your rod/stick. If your rod breaks it will not be a big deal. Happy fishing!

Talking Fishing pole with duct tape and paper clips!

Alaskariverrat,

Sounds like you've tried that one. Supose he could use dental floss instead of regular line and save some money also, hell why not use a pair of ear rings instead of using spinners, or even better he could use his shoe stings as a fish stringer. And the best would be to carve a boat from drift wood with his pocket knife and float the Kenai. But I don't think he was looking for those answers either.

I've contimplated the same issue with getting rods on the plane. I thought I had it figgured out by purchasing the Cabelas telescopic rod. But while "testing" it out on a nearby trout stream, it broke in two spots on a light snag. Total piece of ____

Now I think I will just take a 2 piece and stow it in the guncase.

Default Airline size restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    No airline I know of does this?

Most airlines have exceptions for sporting equipment like skis and fishing rods. They DO NOT charge oversize for that. Alaska Air, United, Lufthansa, are the most recent 3 - didn't charge me a dime.

In fact, Alaska Air lets you check a fishing rod case as a FREE third bag (I think it is 2 rods, 2 reels, a tackle "set", and maybe a few other items - see their website). Yee haw. They used to count fishing rods and now they don't. I hope they don't read this website - but I gave them $50 each way for years and never complained.

Did you tell them it was a fishing rod?
    Steve,

You are probably thinking of regular fishing rods that break down. Alaska Airlines will charge extra for anything longer than 62 linear inches. CHECK THIS LINK for details. Other carriers offer similar restrictions. I think the reason is that long items like this will not travel well on conveyor systems and have to be hand-carried from the customer to the aircraft, hand transferred to other carriers or to connecting flights, and hand carried from the aircraft back to the customer at baggage claim.

I concur with the recommendation of purchasing breakdown rods for travel (there's a reason why they call them travel rods). Another option would be to rent rods when you get here. Gwin's Lodge rents them for the Russian River / upper Kenai area and there are other places too.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

VMan: I'm coming up to Kenai in Mid-June and sent my 6 fishing poles (several one piece) in a 7' PVC pipe with end caps. I sent it through the Postal Service ( Priority Mail) with $300.00 insurance and delivery Confirmation. The poles made it in 4 days with no problems from Pennsylvania to Alaska. The cost was $34.50, but that was before the rate increase. Figure on maybe $40.00 depending on where you live. I was very happy with the service and I will mail them back to me when I leave.
    Hope that helps!

Larry

that would be my recommendation also, just mail them to someone willing to hold them. Sorry I can't help more, I'll be in southeast AK at the time. I'm sure someone can or will step up though to help ya out.

just gate check it
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.