Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paxson Lodge Closed

Default Paxson Lodge Closed

Looks like high fuel prices might have finally gotten the better of them. Sad to see a long time business close down. I know there were complaints about service, conditions, etc, but it sounds like they could have been struggling to keep things afloat for some time.

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...n-lodge-closes

Hate to see this. During the winter it was a good place to park the vehicles to unload snow machines and ride the Denali. It was also a good place to rest and warm up after a long day of snow machine riding. Wonder if someone will keep the parking area cleared of snow.

What a shame.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Not surprised. We used stop there all the time but the service food and everything went down hill. Last year I stopped in for food and was quickly reminded why I don't stop there anymore.
    That's happens when you don't take care of costumer.....
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I was just reminded of the worst piece of pie a la mode I've ever had.

I think I threw some of it away and I hate to waste food.

I remember as a kid in the 70s travelling with the parents we'd hit many of these lodges. It was a treat back then and something I looked forward to. Each lodge had that special cheesburger a kid would love.

Who cares if the food was bad?! There was a time when these places didn't rely on spoiled people in their fancy trucks and toys who complained about the food. These places were refuges and safe harbors from harsh elements and tough travels, and the people who used them were probably grateful to get any piece of pie. They are a part of our fast disappearing history up here, and it's sad.

Quote Originally Posted by PacWestFishTaxidermy View Post
    Who cares if the food was bad?! There was a time when these places didn't rely on spoiled people in their fancy trucks and toys who complained about the food. These places were refuges and safe harbors from harsh elements and tough travels, and the people who used them were probably grateful to get any piece of pie. They are a part of our fast disappearing history up here, and it's sad.
    Spoiled people in fancy trucks? Bit of a blanket statement for non-locals. Not spoiled here, no fancy truck, but that sure didn't stop them from treating us as if we were 'outsiders' who were somehow inconveniencing them every single time I've been in there.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Spoiled people in fancy trucks? Bit of a blanket statement for non-locals. Not spoiled here, no fancy truck, but that sure didn't stop them from treating us as if we were 'outsiders' who were somehow inconveniencing them every single time I've been in there.
    Just a note: the lodge has had several operators, most of which have not done the best job fostering repeat business. I was there a few weeks ago and talked at length with the owners who had just taken the place back over from the last operator.… very nice folks who were seriously wondering how to keep the joint open with only 5 customers a day.

I do get Pac West's point though- the place is one of the (if not the single THE) only places open on a long stretch of road prone to horrible weather, ice, high wind, et. al. A guy could sit there a long time in the winter waiting for somebody to stop and give you a lift to civilization- which is now considerably further…I've called the lodge several times and got road reports before heading that way.

I also get the general consensus about the food- "Paxson Burger" is an inside joke among my hunting partners due to a spectacularly bad episode of food poisoning I'd rather everyone forget. I was so sick I was afraid I might live through the experience. I drove right past it hungry more than a handful of times after that.

Pretty bad deal really- as more of these roadhouses and lodges close I feel we're really worse off for it but I also get that it's a pretty tough business model in the days of $4 a gallon diesel.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

All the name calling in the world won't help preserve Alaska's historic lodges. A realization that markets change and an attempt at meeting market demands might.

I stop at Wildmans in Cooper Landing every time I go by, not because I have to but because they make an effort to provide a clean bathroom and a good cup of coffee well past when all other local shops there are closed. I know I'm not the only one.

I too am saddened to see these types of places go, but perhaps the turnover will point out to the ones that are left that they aren't entitled to anything and may want to work at their customer service skills a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spent a good deal of time up in that area this past summer. It's a shame to see any of these outposts go away. I watched Mieres Lake lodge flood out this past season and wonder how long they'll put up with things. And I know Sourdough lodge was also up for sale this past summer. I don't think Todd and Patty planned on doing business this coming yr. So there's another good spot gone unless someone buys them out and continues on there.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

anyone hear if the forks roadhouse started rebuilding or not?
    Semper Fi!

...These places were refuges and safe harbors from harsh elements and tough travels, and the people who used them were probably grateful to get any piece of pie. They are a part of our fast disappearing history up here, and it's sad.
    I completely agree. They were an Alaskan institution, but with better roads and less problematic vehicles and tires, not as necessary as they once were. Even down on the peninsula here (Tustumena Roadhouse, Clam Gulch Inn) they are closing. Too expensive to maintain is what I hear from the owners.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I completely agree. They were an Alaskan institution, but with better roads and less problematic vehicles and tires, not as necessary as they once were. Even down on the peninsula here (Tustumena Roadhouse, Clam Gulch Inn) they are closing. Too expensive to maintain is what I hear from the owners.
    Believe it or not, word has it that Tustumena Lodge may become a girly bar...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Believe it or not, word has it that Tustumena Lodge may become a girly bar...!!!
    OK, so I'm naive. What is a "girly bar"? Is that for met-er-o sexuals, or is it a place where girls hang on poles?
    I liked that place because I could go there and smoke a cigar or pipe by the fire and nurse a scotch (or two). The little woman and I liked the prime rib nights too!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    OK, so I'm naive. What is a "girly bar"? Is that for met-er-o sexuals, or is it a place where girls hang on poles?
    I liked that place because I could go there and smoke a cigar or pipe by the fire and nurse a scotch (or two). The little woman and I liked the prime rib nights too!
    Even though I haven't been in there in years, think "Good Time Charlies" but hopefully a lot nicer than that.......at least from what I remember the last time I was in there..........lol.

NO............but the spoon & knife is up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    anyone hear if the forks roadhouse started rebuilding or not?

how about making it a monkey warf?
    Semper Fi!

I plan on putting a 52 gallon tank on my Duramax truck as it will be nice to be less dependent on remote lodges for fuel. I miss the old spruce log lodges that were so prevalent in Alaska when I arrived here in the 60's. So many off them burnt down in the winter when the generator shack next to them or something else caught fire, at least that was the story. Times change and the need for lodges every thirty miles is long past. Still a few of them that are in the right place are making money. Like many things in Alaska they are going away.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    but perhaps the turnover will point out to the ones that are left that they aren't entitled to anything and may want to work at their customer service skills a bit.
    +1 Good luck with that attitude in business!

Brett

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast