Thread: Cabazon pic?

Default Cabazon pic?

hi guys!...can anyone here share a pic of a Cabazon that you have actually caught?...dead or alive!...is that the fish that the meat goes green when cooked?....also, is it a tasty fish?... hoping to catch one of these one day??...heck, maybe I have and just didn't know it??..thanks larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Default Cabazon pic?

I haven't caught a cabazon yet but this year we kept a couple of the smaller lighter colored sculpin (not the Irish lord) I haven't found the name yet. It was delicious. We kept a Halibut, pacific cod, walleye pollock, and it and wow, it was possibly the best tasting, definitely better than cod and much better than pollock. I had heard that one of the sculpin turn green when cooked it wasn't this one.

My suggestion try 'um all, a surprising number of animals out there that no one eats tastes great... Especially the ugly ones haha no one eats ugly things for the sole reason that they're ugly or have an unappetizing name. More food for us!

Quote Originally Posted by bcriverhunter View Post
    hi guys!...can anyone here share a pic of a Cabazon that you have actually caught?...dead or alive!...is that the fish that the meat goes green when cooked?....also, is it a tasty fish?... hoping to catch one of these one day??...heck, maybe I have and just didn't know it??..thanks larry
    I can respond to some of your questions:
    1) I don't have a picture handy. The picture in the link JKD posted is good. I have caught lots of them off of central CA, but none in/around Icy Strait.
    2) The meat can start out pale green (like some ling cod) but cooks up white
    3) Yes, they are tasty; they eat shellfish - crabs, snails, shrimp - and pick up some of that flavor
    4) If you want to catch one, try fishing in or around kelp with a 3" jig, leadhead, or bait.

thanks for the info guys!!...here are some pics I found online!....they are all reported as cabazons!!...I guess I havnt caught one-- yet!!...to me they combine the ling cod with the sculpin/irish lord(with more meat)..two dorsal fins, the first having 11-12 spines, the second dorsal fin the rays more rounded!!...they get up to around 24 lbs I guess....i'll know for next time!..thanks larry

ps. I wonder if they ever get mistaken for ling??

note: I tried in vain for 20 secs trying to get these guys to OK these pics!...no response so--free game!!

All cabezon in the pictures. Their back can be mostly black, dark green, or brown, and the belly can be almost white, tan, gray, or even turquoise. It can be pretty easy to confuse a long skinny cabezon with a short fat ling a few feet under the water. Once on deck, a quick look in the mouth and the mystery is gone; lings have a few big, spiky teeth and cabezon have lots of little ones.

Quote Originally Posted by vaaler View Post
    lings have a few big, spiky teeth and cabezon have lots of little ones.
    Vaaler--thanks for that great info!....larry