Thread: savage 99 stock

Default savage 99 stock

I got the rifle that I shot my first deer with. It is a old savage model 99 in a 30-30. It has been tapped so there is not much collector value. the stock is cracked and I wanted to get a new stock and forearm made for it. Like I said this is the rifle I used on my first hunt. Can anyone recommend anyone that could make me the EXACT same stock and forearm. The rifle seems a little thinner in the forearm and stock and fits kids hands perfect.

The best bet is going to be to buy a non broken one off of eBay. If not then some men who are far better stockmakers than I am can do amazing things with epoxy and dowels, look at Dennis earl smith,"The Stock Dr"s website for pics of his repair work, unbelievable describes some of the things he does. I could get close but EXACT is likely going to take a man who specializes in stock work. Dennis Olsen in Plains MT is another great stock maker.

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I got the rifle that I shot my first deer with. It is a old savage model 99 in a 30-30. It has been tapped so there is not much collector value. the stock is cracked and I wanted to get a new stock and forearm made for it. Like I said this is the rifle I used on my first hunt. Can anyone recommend anyone that could make me the EXACT same stock and forearm. The rifle seems a little thinner in the forearm and stock and fits kids hands perfect.
    I have a birch buttstock and fore arm you can have if you want it. it's got that silly impressed checkering on it. would make a good project with an exact fit. I went with the boyds walnut replacements. not much figure in the wood, but in two hunts, the darn rifle looks like it's been through a war. boyds walnut is plain as could be, but for a working rifle, they are another option. use calipers, and take measurements for final fitting with little chisels and sandpaper. lot of fitting work for boyds.

If you prefer walnut, check with Boyd's. I've bought several from them over the years, and they're hard to tell from the originals. If they don't list the model you want as currently available, get hold of them and they'll turn one out. The one I linked is only an example, but $60 for a finished butt stock is hard to beat.