Thread: KUIU Boots

Default KUIU Boots

Anybody wearing these yet? Pretty steep $ tag, but I'm 100% happy with my KUIU purchases so far. Love to hear some reviews.

http://blog.kuiu.com/2013/09/19/intr....E7oHXGNr.dpbs

http://store.kuiu.com/product-p/87001.htm
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Anybody wearing these yet? Pretty steep $ tag, but I'm 100% happy with my KUIU purchases so far. Love to hear some reviews.

http://blog.kuiu.com/2013/09/19/intr....E7oHXGNr.dpbs

http://store.kuiu.com/product-p/87001.htm
    I have not tried these boots. My concerns would be the seams and durability of the boot. I've had other boots with similar about of seams and have had issues with them failing after very little use.

Thanks for the link ,Going to keep an eye on these boots .
    I prefer climbing boots more than hiking boots .
    Usually a bit heavier but having the full shank and strength on the edge makes a big difference to me .
    I usually tear up insoles and at the ball joint bending the day lights out of them on most boots and shoes .
    Rarely do I actually wear out the sole.
    Again thanks.

KUIU doesn't make them - Zamberlan does - and they have a very good reputation on their boots.

Anybody aware of a sheep hunting type boot that's offered in a 12 1/2 size?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I would say that Jason (Kuiu President) would be pretty darn particular of a boots construction before he would
    agree to put his name on the product. The fellow does some punishing hunts and torture tests all his equipment.
    But as someone already said, time will tell when these get out there for others to use.

I tried a pair on in there show room, and to me they felt like my old koflach boots.{very well constructed} Just not into the stiff boots anymore.
    I ♥ Big Sheep

I have 4 seasons on a pair of Zamberlan Vioz GT boots - exceptional still - so agree with Bullelkklr, Zamberlan does build a solid, durable boot.
    The Kuiu/Zamberlan Pamir GTX is a pound lighter (2.23 lbs vs 3.5 lbs). Maybe that's good, or not.
    Tlinglitwarrior: I see you're in Anchorage? One resource I'd consult is Bob Hodson at Barney's. He really knows gear...
    Good luck.

The KUIU-Zamberlan Pamir is an uninsulated boot, whereas the Zamberlan Vioz is insulated to the equivalent of 400 gm. I also believe the Vioz is taller, so therein lies the weight difference.

6XLeech...Your Vioz have held up nicely with no breakdown or internal issues? Thanks.

K Dill: they fit my foot better than any other boot of this type I've owned. And they have held up well.

Fit: That good fit is so much of the footwear experience for me. This manufacturer's last seems to be real close to my foot's anatomy.

Conditions of use: Buck Nelson on his solo traverse of AK, wore out a pair of Danner Pronghorns. I agree with a friend who said that a lot of boots might wear out on a 700-1,000 mile hike such as that. (Interesting that Buck's comments in his gear review from that trip implies the pair he got were maybe lemons - though I have not verified that with Buck). I'm sure there are guys on these forums who might also wear gear harder too.

I hike a year around, often up a nearby peak and often in snowshoes. I've had my Zamberlans out for Brooks Range caribou (tussocks/water) and Kodiak deer (hills, mud) among other locations - and wet too. I put a leather cream on them twice, but don't pamper them when out and about.
    Great boots. Still holding up well. The insulation has been too warm rarely, but I love them. Spendy, but happy feet in my experience.

Bob Hodson (if you're in Anchorage anytime) researches gear extensively. Some manufacturers will make one excellent product, but have problems in other items they make. If it's convenient to get his input - any comments he makes on this boot (or other gear) I think is worthwhile.

Good luck.

Thanks for the eval on Zamberlans. I just ordered a pair of the Vioz 1012s online. Every single thing I've heard about them is positive. At $375, they're no more expensive than a Schnee's Beartooth, Kenetrek, Lowa...several others. Bad boots = bad hunt.

(apology for the short hijack)

You won't ever find me shelling out $500 for a pair of boots. My Irish Setters suit me just fine.

Other than color, I don't see much difference between these boots and the other mountaineering type boots made in northern Italy [ Scarpa's, La Sportiva's, etc.]. They are more expensive than most other boots in this category, and you have to purchase a pair in order to see if you like them. Whenever I'm in the market for new boots, its important to me to be able to try on several different manufactures to see what fits my foot best. On a side note, I have so far been very happy with all the KUIU gear that I own, and Zamberlan makes a great boot for sure.