Thread: Another--What kind of fish are these?

Default Another--What kind of fish are these?

hi guys!..caught these a few years back and have always wondered if this is a baby Cabazon?....or just another of the sculpin
    variety?.....jigged it up in about 35 feet on a rocky bottom!!

and this one?....giant sculpin?-- are they good to eat?...thanks larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

I've heard skulpin is good. Don't know what the first fish is.

You might get a palm sized fillet off that skulpin - ain't much to fill you up unless you make head soup!

That's ironic you posted this, I've caught several of those first fish (the bright red colorful ones) this year, on skates and in shrimp pots. I have no idea what they are, but would be interested to know as well!

Irish lord?

The first fish is a Red Irish Lord, the second is a Great Sculpin.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Dave has the correct identification(s). Both of these fish have appeared in pictures on this forum before - asking the same question. Here in this area of SE we seem to jig-up the Red Irish Lord if we are fishing too close to coral patches - whether in the shallows [25 to 50 feet] or out on deeper-water rock ridges [so far as deep as 450 feet]. They really seem to gravitate to areas of "Redtree" coral. I am guessing their coloration matches the coral for camo purposes.

I can't pass along any information about how either specie tastes, but I know from experience that tanner and Dungness crab seem to like the Great Sculpin if they are placed in pots for hanging bait.

thanks guys!..can put that one to rest finally!!

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Quote Originally Posted by JKD View Post
    Dave has the correct identification(s). Both of these fish have appeared in pictures on this forum before - asking the same question. Here in this area of SE we seem to jig-up the Red Irish Lord if we are fishing too close to coral patches - whether in the shallows [25 to 50 feet] or out on deeper-water rock ridges [so far as deep as 450 feet]. They really seem to gravitate to areas of "Redtree" coral. I am guessing their coloration matches the coral for camo purposes.

I can't pass along any information about how either specie tastes, but I know from experience that tanner and Dungness crab seem to like the Great Sculpin if they are placed in pots for hanging bait.
    The Irish Lords are good eating. Fine white meat, although not much of it. I haven't tried that type of sculpin.