Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vexilar FishPhone

Default Vexilar FishPhone

I finally got my camera today and did a test run in the bathtub. So far so good. Hopefully I'll be out with it this weekend. Anyone tried one out yet?
    The secret to fishing is: Fish where the fish are.

Where'd you find one at? Been looking for one!

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Where'd you find one at? Been looking for one!
    Yah! Inquiring minds want to know! I ordered one but its backlogged 4 to 5 weeks everywhere I checked.

How waterproof does the wifi unit look? Will I need to put it in a separate case if I'm out on a kayak for example?

I ordered mine from FishUSA.com a long time ago on backorder, middle of October. As far as the main unit goes, it looks well built but if I were on a kayak I would rather play it safe and protect it somehow. It may be water resistant but I doubt water proof. Sounds like I may have the first one in AK.

I ordered one from Glens outdoors.com last Thursday and it shipped Monday... The free shipping didn't apply to Alaska, go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by AKSweetPete View Post
    I ordered mine from FishUSA.com a long time ago on backorder, middle of October. As far as the main unit goes, it looks well built but if I were on a kayak I would rather play it safe and protect it somehow. It may be water resistant but I doubt water proof. Sounds like I may have the first one in AK.
    Thanks! I'm not in a huge hurry to get it but thought I might need to figure out a way to keep the splashes off it on a kayak. I tend to use the old fashioned way, my eyes, for ice fishing. Hope people get some cool videos to post!!!

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

I wonder how this thing will work for you? I have a couple of Vexilar flashers and they work great.
    I hope this thing is as fast as a flasher. Does it work in real time or will their be a delay like you get with most LCD depth finders?
    I also wonder about battery life in the cold. I know my android phone uses a lot more battery searching the net and using youtube etc.
    Being on all day I wonder if it will last for a full 6+ hours of fishing.
    Keep us updated.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I wonder how this thing will work for you? I have a couple of Vexilar flashers and they work great.
    I hope this thing is as fast as a flasher. Does it work in real time or will their be a delay like you get with most LCD depth finders?
    I also wonder about battery life in the cold. I know my android phone uses a lot more battery searching the net and using youtube etc.
    Being on all day I wonder if it will last for a full 6+ hours of fishing.
    Keep us updated.

I was wondering about the battery life on the phones too. I would think that Vexilar will eventually come out with a battery device to charge/power phones out on the ice. Until then I'd have to take the wifes phone out, when mine dies I've got another with full charge ;-)

I was planning on waiting until they get the initial bugs worked out, but don't know if I can hold out........I want one.....And NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly1 View Post
    I was wondering about the battery life on the phones too. I would think that Vexilar will eventually come out with a battery device to charge/power phones out on the ice. Until then I'd have to take the wifes phone out, when mine dies I've got another with full charge ;-)

I was planning on waiting until they get the initial bugs worked out, but don't know if I can hold out........I want one.....And NOW!
    Thay make a case for the Iphone that has a built in external battery in a sense doubling your battery life. They have one in our safety prize cabinet at work for somebody to win. I don't have an Iphone so it doesn't do me any good.
    I run my underwater camera (what little I use it nowadays)with a cigarette lighter adapter off of a boost box battery jump start unit. It works good and would also charge an Iphone with the right adapter.
    I have a Vexilar FL20 flasher and it works great for icefishing and the battery will last 24 hours on a single charge.
    It works in real time so when it says there is a fish there it is there now not one second ago like some LCD units do especially in the cold.
    Yes it cost more than the FishPhone but I feel it is worth it.
    For icefishing I would trade the Fishphone for a flasher anyday.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Thay make a case for the Iphone that has a built in external battery in a sense doubling your battery life. They have one in our safety prize cabinet at work for somebody to win. I don't have an Iphone so it doesn't do me any good.
    I run my underwater camera (what little I use it nowadays)with a cigarette lighter adapter off of a boost box battery jump start unit. It works good and would also charge an Iphone with the right adapter.
    I have a Vexilar FL20 flasher and it works great for icefishing and the battery will last 24 hours on a single charge.
    It works in real time so when it says there is a fish there it is there now not one second ago like some LCD units do especially in the cold.
    Yes it cost more than the FishPhone but I feel it is worth it.
    For icefishing I would trade the Fishphone for a flasher anyday.

I don't use the iphone, I use an android.......I did find waterproof cases for it, which I will get just incase it takes a dive in the ice hole! I'll look into the boost box and adapters, good idea! Your right about the flasher, as far as electronics go it should be #1, they are an incredible tool to have for icefishing and like you I use the Vex FL-20,it is a sweet flasher! FishPhone looks to be a great underwater camera system for a very reasonable price and I've gotta get one!!!

I use this to keep all my gizmos charged and run the LED lighting in my shack.

Ill be out tommorow. As far as battery life on the phone, you can get battery packs that you can charge a phone with. I got one from Home Depot for $30 bucks I think. I doubt most people will be using it non stop for 6 hrs. I know I'll be too busy catching fish, I hope. More updates after tommorow.

Are you running the iPhone or an Android device? I have heard through the grapevine the iPhone app was crashing a lot, hoping it's not true, because that is what I use and I should have my camera in a couple of days.

I use my phone a lot for fishing, it's my GPS, camera and now it's going to take videos, that's part of the reason I built the box above. I used to use an enercell battery charger, it was good for one good phone charge, that was about it.

I have an iPhone 4. So far I have not had any problems with the app or linking to the wi fi. I think there may be a slight delay, only tenths of a second. True test in a few hrs. Good luck with yours.

Ed iiI got out on the ice today. No problems with the app or phone crashing. Good wifi connection with iPhone. When you are recording a video, just a very slight delay on phone screen. No delay on playback. battery for camera lasted all day and still has a good charge. Phone battery kind of wore down, though I was taking pics and videoes and texting, which may have caused it to lose power. Lights are very bright on full power. Does a good job of aiming at one direction. Honestly, the Dvr Aquaview may be a better quality image, but for less than 200 the FishPhone does the same job.l

Awesome, thanks for the review.

Cabelas had them instock as of the evening of 12/22. I ordered one and it arrive today - 12/26.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Default Vexilar FishPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Cabelas had them instock as of the evening of 12/22. I ordered one and it arrive today - 12/26.
    What? Huh? I ordered a week ago and was told 4 to 5 week back order. Hmmm....

Better check. Thx for the heads up.

Update: it's been in Anchorage since the 24th. Sweet. Haven't got it yet though...bummer...

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

Got another chance on Friday and it worked great. Water clarity in the lake I was at was much better and was picking up color even at 15 ft down. Much better image quality. I did not recode pics or videos and my iPhone lasted longer.

I got mine but either I am clueless or something is wrong. Only powers on with the power cord attached. App shows full battery charge. Have email in to support. I hope this isn't what i get with my first vexilar experience. I'm hoping somebody here or vexilar support can just show I am stupid. I'd rather be stupid with a working camera than smart and got sent a broken one!!! lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast