Thread: Polaris Big Boss power steering

Default Polaris Big Boss power steering

I just installed Super ATV's power steering kit on my 2012 Big Boss. The install was fairly straight forward but you do have to take nearly everything off the front end. I decided to wrap the exhaust during this protect, since the steering motor get fairly close to it. The results: my first impression of this was not great, with the key OFF there is some play (slope) in the steering and steering when static is not a one hand operation like I hoped it would be. Once I took it out for a test ride I was much happier with the results; the slope mentioned earlier was gone and steering was a one handed operation till I felt I needed two hands to keep me from falling off. Only did a short ride (too cold for anything longer) but look forward to testing it out more.
    20' Wooldridge Sport 08' 150hp E-Tec
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

Can you please explain the install and cost a little more? I work at a Polaris dealership and we get the question about installing aftermarket power steering all the time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    Can you please explain the install and cost a little more? I work at a Polaris dealership and we get the question about installing aftermarket power steering all the time.

Thanks
    The cost was around 700.00 to get the kit to my door step. As for the install it took me several days because I only got about a hour at a time (darn family holiday stuff keep cutting into my shop time). You must remove the front cab, headlight pod, gas tank, handle bars, steering stem, tires and inner ends of the tie rods. Replace steering stem with new lower steering stem, steering motor, motor support brackets and upper steering stem. Then wire in motor and controll box and finally reinstall all the piece that you removed. It is fairly straight forward and comes with instructions that includes lots of color pictures.

I hope they said to use dielectric grease in all the connection.

There has been quite a bit of discussion about it over at the Polaris ATV forums. I assume your kit had the new redesigned spline CLAMP rather than just the set screw? A few of the initial kits had some issues with just the set screw (which seem ridiculous to even try it with just a set screw).

Did you take any pics while installing? This is on my "to do" list.

All electrical connections are similar to the factory style with rudder seals. With that said, YES, I used dielectric grease on all of them.

The kit I received has the updated spline clamp. I didn't snap any pic, shame on me. I will try and get a few posted of it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post
    There has been quite a bit of discussion about it over at the Polaris ATV forums. I assume your kit had the new redesigned spline CLAMP rather than just the set screw? A few of the initial kits had some issues with just the set screw (which seem ridiculous to even try it with just a set screw).

Did you take any pics while installing? This is on my "to do" list.

Also, I assume you did NOT connect the speed sensor wire, so the "assist" is the same at high speeds as it as at low speeds. I think the wire could be connected on the normal value Sportsmans that have the speed sensor in the tranny? That was the only thing preventing my Dakota Digital gauge from working properly - the different speed signal.