Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thigh Holster for Pistol Carry with Pack

Default Thigh Holster for Pistol Carry with Pack

Has anyone used a thigh holster when backpack hunting? I have been looking for a way to carry my Glock 20 when mountain hunting with a pack. My shoulder holster and hip holsters do not work with a pack and I prefer not to use a chest holster (my father has a diamond D for his s&w 44 but I don't think it's right for me). It seems like a thigh holster would allow the gun to be accessible, out of the way, and would take any extra weight off of my back. I have been itching to take an animal with the 10mm but generally do not go hunting solely with a pistol to allow myself more options with regards distance.

Does anyone have any thoughts, or suggested brands/models?

Blackhawk makes one, you can buy the platform then use a serpa holser for a glock 20. But, as a military guy who had one of these holsters in Iraq, I can tell you that I got sick of it pretty quick. They tend to rub your leg raw when you wear them for extended periods of time. I ended up ditching the issued thigh holster and switching to one that attached to my vest, and didn't have any issues after that.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I can tell you that I got sick of it pretty quick. They tend to rub your leg raw when you wear them for extended periods of time. I ended up ditching the issued thigh holster and switching to one that attached to my vest, and didn't have any issues after that.
    +1

I have a nice Osprey pack with a custom fit hip belt. I couldn't find anything that wouldn't make the above mentioned raw rub mark on my hip/leg. Thats with a Glock 23, so very similar situation to what the OP is in.

I think the chest/vest option is about the best for serious backpackers who want to carry and have good access.

Also, if you were very good with making your own stuff, you could perhaps make a custom type holster that was attached to the outside of the hip belt. I'm not so good in that department so it wasn't an option for me. I think the key would be making sure none of the material was on the inside where it could rub and cause a raw mark.

Thigh holsters are pure misery.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Thigh holsters are pure misery.
    ...Miserable in the brush/alders....miserable during crawling stalks....miserable while fording streams....miserable while butchering...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I've also been looking for g20 holster to attach to pack belt. I've tried several with no success yet I'll be following this thread

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Depending on your pack, take the big buckle off the waist belt, and put your hip holster onto the belt strap, and replace the big buckle. This worked great on my Eberlestock for years. My S&W 329PD spent many a trip riding there. Not sure if it will work on your pack, but if you already have a hip-holster, it is probably the cheapest route and possible the easiest, and mine fit comfortable and snug to the point I would have to check if it was still there.

Premium Member

Bladetech makes a very good thigh holster system. That said, I've not found it very good for backpack hunting. Instead, I took a pack accessory from Dana Designs (now Mystery Ranch) called a wet rib, and sewed a holster into it. It hangs from the two shoulder straps in place of the chest strap, but off to the side for a cross draw/shoulder type of a hang. Note: a Glock 29 or an S&W 329 fit in the pouch without modification, but the Glock 20 needed a real holster sewn in.

Well it looks like the thigh holster is not well suited towards backpack hunting and I don't have any "tactical" need for one. If I get a chance to try one on I will go for it but I do not think I will purchase one blind. Thanks for the responses guys.

I have been looking for a spot to carry the pistol by eliminating all the areas of my body that are covered up by the pack and other items. One of the biggest problems with guns carried lower than waist high may be collection of brush and water from waking in deep grasses and shrubs in the rain. Wouldn't want a malfunctioning rust bucket for a gun after or during a multiday hunt.

Huh. Looks like it's back to the drawing board. Any future suggestions would be appreciated with respect to unorthodox pistol carry locations/methods on a pack hunt.

Ps good luck on the draw hunts guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Thigh Holster for Pistol Carry with Pack

Wykee my pack should allow for that holster carry option. I'll have to give it a try I'm just not sure that is a spot I want extra weight. Does yours act differently with 30 oz on the front waist belt? No increased pinch points over long periods of walking?

Quote Originally Posted by BRWHUNTER View Post
    Wykee my pack should allow for that holster carry option. I'll have to give it a try I'm just not sure that is a spot I want extra weight. Does yours act differently with 30 oz on the front waist belt? No increased pinch points over long periods of walking?

I prefer the chest holster idea primarily because it is a means of carrying the pistol with or without the pack. Even on a backpacking trip, you only have the pack on for a portion of the time. I like to at least have the option of carrying my pistol in a holster without the pack on and not have to go through the bother of removing the buckle on the pack strap every time I want to relocate it. When hunting, I will almost always drop the pack at some point in the stalk, so fiddling with a holster change at that time would be a pain and the other option would be to leave the pistol behind with the pack (not desirable for variety of reasons and not possible if you are intending to use the pistol for hunting).

I'm curious about why your shoulder holster didn't work with your pack? Maybe try letting the gun hang a little lower? I carry a 4" 44mag revolver for field work in a shoulder holster and it works great. I've tried the chest holster, but the barrel rests on my gut, which quickly gets annoying. It also gets in the way of my pack's chest strap. They often come with a buckle that greatly slows down the draw speed. I've also tried a hip holster in cross draw, but it gets snagged and rubs wrong. Great thing about a shoulder holster is that it stays out of the weather and under a rain jacket.

What about a paddle holster? Could maybe put it on the backpack belt and transfer it over to your pants if for dropped your pack. Have never seen one though just brainstorming here

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Diamond D the only way to go.

If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Different options. Here's what I do.

First pic is with the Simply Rugged Pancake holster on it's own belt, around my waist, slid up to where it's above my backpack belt and riding comfortable. When drop the pack it's still on my person.

Second pic is with my day/hunting pack. The gun in in a cheap nylon holster on the pack belt cross draw style. The Simply Rugged is on my pants belt underneath the pack belt riding comfortably flat as, well.... a pancake When I drop the pack for lunch, berry picking or to skin a bull, the gun slips in the pancake on my hip.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Thanks, Snyd! I'll be trying the S.R. Pancake based on your method - I think this will work for me.

I've had same issue trying to find a way to carry while wearing a pack, especially while chasing hounds after cats here in Montana.
    I ended up sewing PALS webbing onto the pocket of the lumbar belt of an eberlestock x2. Then sewed the backpack's side pocket into a "solid" belt, and used a kifaru holster adapter to attach my .44spec hip holster to the pack with malice clips. I've tried all kinds of other setups and this one is working the best for me thus far.
    Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Antleridge View Post
    Thanks, Snyd! I'll be trying the S.R. Pancake based on your method - I think this will work for me.

For carrying my companion Glock 20 hunting I use a Fobus paddle style holster it clips on the pack waistband and fits snug. When you drop the pack it slides off the waistband and is then inserted into my pants waist band belt. The Fobus GL4 for the Glock 20 weighs slightly less than 2 ounces. It is built in Isreal and was designed for the IDF and the G-17. The Fobus is made of Kydex and is waterproof and requires almost zero maintenance.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    I've had same issue trying to find a way to carry while wearing a pack, especially while chasing hounds after cats here in Montana.
    I ended up sewing PALS webbing onto the pocket of the lumbar belt of an eberlestock x2. Then sewed the backpack's side pocket into a "solid" belt, and used a kifaru holster adapter to attach my .44spec hip holster to the pack with malice clips. I've tried all kinds of other setups and this one is working the best for me thus far.
    Billy
    Billy, I'd love to see pics of the setup...

Here are some quick photos I took of my Eberlestock X2 and .44 spec GP100 setup.

Basically, I sewed PALS webbing in the standard pattern to the right hand belt pocket, then sewed that pocket to the padding to make it one solid piece. I tried it keeping the pocket intact and it flopped around a bit too much. Then used the Kifaru PALS adapter to attach a holster. I like it as it is a natural draw stroke of the weapon and I can cinch down the belt without any other objects in the way. Let me know if you have any questions. Billy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast