Thread: Shee Fishing?

Default Shee Fishing?

So a buddy and I are considering making a trip up the haul rd to fish... We're avid, experienced, hardwater fishermen w all the toys(vexilar!!) and tools to be safe and hopefully successful.

We feel confident we could get in NP, lakers, lawyers, and the like w little direction. But, were hoping to get after some shee's.
    Write-up's say not to good above the Yukon, I see Hess creek has some. Is it worth our time? It would be a 3-4 day trip, I just hate to waste a day fishing for something that is rare, or not around (for any reason).

No machine, so we have to be within about a mile of the rd. Can anyone point us in a direction to a fish-able population? If it exists along the rd.

If its bleak,than lakers and/or pig NP would be next on the list, any sugestions on those two?

Thanks, appreciate any in-put.

Jon.

Sheefish migrate back and forth in the large rivers and most of them are probably going to be closer to brackish water at the mouth of the river for overwintering during this time of the year (food source is there).

ref: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/sp...s/sheefish.pdf
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

How do you arrange/plan an outing to Kotzebue?

Quote Originally Posted by Hard_Water View Post
    How do you arrange/plan an outing to Kotzebue?
    Thinking about this as well. I have a couple of standby tix on Alaska Air and this might be an option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I really want to do it, but flying in with an auger and all the gear would be a tad pricey, then I still wouldn't have transportation. I'd be more than happy to pay a guide/outfitter or even rent. I'm only up for a few winters and sheefishing is on my bucket list. I've googled away and am not seeing anything helpful.

I have neaver ben , but look at some of the back pages on this site a they was a comment or 2 about doing it right in town , I don't think you have to travel very far from the hotel to get fish , an there should be some one in town that will rent you a AUGER call the HOTEL an talk to them they should help as they want you to stay with them [ would like the busnness for sure ] give them a call , phone is cheep SID

You can catch sheefish through the ice not far from Front Street. Lots of holes are drilled and its easy to potlick on some vacant holes. Local residents were were helpful that I met. The bite is often a timing issue that close to town.

BigCox could give you more insight on icing sheefish in Kotzebue as i have only gone once.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Thanks, didn't realize they fished them that close to town. I have some local contacts, not sure how much they know about icefishing but I might have to make some calls.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Nice, thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    You can catch sheefish through the ice not far from Front Street. Lots of holes are drilled and its easy to potlick on some vacant holes. Local residents were were helpful that I met. The bite is often a timing issue that close to town.

BigCox could give you more insight on icing sheefish in Kotzebue as i have only gone once.
    They are available year round from my understanding. The closer to town spots are typically the best in the spring time (april-may). Your chances of success are far greater if you have a snowmachine (which I do not ). I know of guys that have gone out near the mouth of the Noatak river this year and have done great, I even heard of one guy catching 50 of those suckers in a few hours. I haven't made it out there yet, I'm still working on finding someone with a snowmachine that would take me. Perhaps this weekend I can bust my ice fishing cherry for this year.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

you could fly gear in on NAC...just a thought. It wont be cheap to run a sled both ways I think I paid 250 to Nome one way when I sold the skandic LT a number of years ago now so those prices are likely outdated.

As for the haul north of the Yukon I think you'll be wasting your time this time of year within reasonable distances from the road. You may find some in the Yukon still if you hit the mouths.

Thanks big cox. I fired off an email to friend in Kotz. Be nice to find a sled and auger in town. Do you if they ever have an ice road that gets near the fishing spots? I might be able to get a pickup.

Hoping to avoid cargo'ing a bunch of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Thanks big cox. I fired off an email to friend in Kotz. Be nice to find a sled and auger in town. Do you if they ever have an ice road that gets near the fishing spots? I might be able to get a pickup.

Hoping to avoid cargo'ing a bunch of stuff.

The definitely plow an iceroad out close to fishing spots every year, I believe. They usually plow the road all the way to Noorvik and Kiana, however one strong wind can blow some big snow drifts over the road and close it pretty quick. Last year they plowed a branch road off the main ice road towards the mouth of the noatak a ways, went out there a few times in the truck and caught a few fish. They even plowed a road close to town so people can drive their vehicles out to the close spots near town. They usually don't plow that road until later in the winter and into "spring" though. I hope to get out soon, going to see if the neighbor will run me out with his set up. I see him go every weekend it seems. Will post some photos if I catch anything.
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/