Thread: sand lake report

Default sand lake report

sand lake fishing in anchorage has been pretty good the last few weeks ive landed some nice fish and i've also lost so nice fish, best fish i've had on was a pike that ended wrapping me up in the weeds under the ice then breaking me off. for extra fun try using a small white tube jig the grayling seem to love it and the other species do to. seems that my best fishing has been when you enter the lake from the sand lake road side walk out to the lake hook a right and head for the small point go about halfway across the little bay about 30-40 yards from the shore right off the weed line its about 6-8 feet deep, my best bait have been small tube jigs 1" and jigs tipped with herring. enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by homer907 View Post
    sand lake fishing in anchorage has been pretty good the last few weeks ive landed some nice fish and i've also lost so nice fish, best fish i've had on was a pike that ended wrapping me up in the weeds under the ice then breaking me off. for extra fun try using a small white tube jig the grayling seem to love it and the other species do to. seems that my best fishing has been when you enter the lake from the sand lake road side walk out to the lake hook a right and head for the small point go about halfway across the little bay about 30-40 yards from the shore right off the weed line its about 6-8 feet deep, my best bait have been small tube jigs 1" and jigs tipped with herring. enjoy
    Did you actually see the pike to confirm it? They are not supposed to be in there since it was rotenoned a few years ago.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

ya had its head out of the hole.

That's not good at all. If you do catch one I would take it in to ADF&G for confirmation so they are aware of it.

that was my plan.

No pics I'm callin bull**** on you. I fish sand alot. And haven't seen any pike. Even fishing the usual pike haunts I've not seen or found any. I live very close to it.

Release Lake Trout

so do i but i know what came out of the hole. it dosnt mean i like it.

No Sh$t!!! If you caught a pike in Sand Lake, then that means somebody put it there. Like the Fishgod said. They rotenoned it a years ago, I lived on that lake when they did it and it killed everything in the lake. I was highly upset about the hole thing but understood. And now there is pike there again. Damit Man!!! Why do people do that. Do I have to start a Pike Dropping Patrol of something like that??? What is up with you people. Go to the valley. There are plenty of pike to be caught out there. Just my thoughts on the matter...
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

i agree bob when i lived in homer i used to go out to nikiski and fish stormy lake all of the time they had some monster rainbows in their and they ended up poisoning that lake as well, its a real bummer that people keep illegal transporting and stocking the pike.

photo 3.JPG a few nice fish from sand lake

If it's true about the pike, that will be a real shame, not to mention a disgusting waste of resources. I just don't understand the mentality...
    My signature is awesome.

Caught a 7 lb in late May about 4 days after ice-out right off the new little dock they built off Caravelle.
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...30ott6/1-1.jpg
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...an30ott6/2.jpg

I did not report this to F&G because I'd hate to see the lake poisoned again. Hell, it clearly didn't work the last time anyway.

I suppose it's possible the current population came up through the ditches/pipes that dump into Campbell, but I don't recall those running nearly enough water in the past few years for that to happen. Also, no pike effort by F&G is going to work in Anchorage until they also hit Campbell (or at least open it to fishing by tube/canoe/kayak.) That lake is full of them and their eggs get spread all over the local lakes by all the waterfowl that stop there, then get spooked off to another of the nearby lakes by a floatplane.

I have heard the same of burdman, speaks of. open campbell lake to fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by burdman30ott6 View Post
    Caught a 7 lb in late May about 4 days after ice-out right off the new little dock they built off Caravelle.
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...30ott6/1-1.jpg
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...an30ott6/2.jpg

I did not report this to F&G because I'd hate to see the lake poisoned again. Hell, it clearly didn't work the last time anyway.

I suppose it's possible the current population came up through the ditches/pipes that dump into Campbell, but I don't recall those running nearly enough water in the past few years for that to happen. Also, no pike effort by F&G is going to work in Anchorage until they also hit Campbell (or at least open it to fishing by tube/canoe/kayak.) That lake is full of them and their eggs get spread all over the local lakes by all the waterfowl that stop there, then get spooked off to another of the nearby lakes by a floatplane.
    Ah, I just love this theory. If that was the case wouldn't every single lake in Southcentral Alaska have pike.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Ah, I just love this theory. If that was the case wouldn't every single lake in Southcentral Alaska have pike.
    They practically are in every lake around Anchorage, at least. Even Beercan had schools of 1-2" fingerlings hanging around the shadow of the dock last summer. I'd imagine that the lakes that don't have them are lacking something (cover, food, water condition) they need.

Regardless of how they got into our lakes, every effort to get rid of them so far has been a fail. I've wondered why F&G haven't intentionally stocked a couple dozen 20-25 lb sterilized northerns into some of the local lakes. Big pike eat little pike and within a few years you'd think the problem would be pretty much resolved.

Well, since I extensively fish every lake in Anchorage spring, summer, fall, and winter I can tell you that pike are not "practically in every lake around Anchorage". The problem with most people is that they confuse 3-spine stickleback with juvenile pike. Just like alot of people think they are catching juvenile burbot when in fact they are catching Alaska blackfish. What you saw in Beer Can were 3-spine stickleback and not schools of juvenile pike.