Thread: Don Young's Wild Game Donation Act of 2013

Default Don Young's Wild Game Donation Act of 2013

“In a state like Alaska, with a great abundance of natural resources and wildlife, it’s a shame that people still go hungry,” said Congressman Don Young. “The Food Bank of Alaska tells me that more than 106,000 Alaskans don’t know where their next meal is coming from, and I have a real problem with that. My bill will begin to help solve some of these hunger problems while also providing an economic incentive for hunters to donate their game. I’ve already received bipartisan support from across the country and look forward to filling the freezers of our food-based charities.”

http://donyoung.house.gov/news/docum...umentID=364504
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

That would be one out of every 6 or 7 Alaskans not knowing where their next meal is coming from! I'm calling BS on that one. That is almost as dumb as saying that you have campaigned in 57 states.

Not so sure how I feel about this one...

Its one of those things that seems like a good idea…but you wonder where the gotcha comes in. Haven't hunters been able to donate unprocessed meat to "Hunters for the Hungry" for years and years? Do we really need a tax break and government intervention in order to hand out little white packages to hungry neighbors?

Just wondering' out loud here.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    That would be one out of every 6 or 7 Alaskans not knowing where their next meal is coming from! I'm calling BS on that one. That is almost as dumb as saying that you have campaigned in 57 states.
    I'm not sure where my next meal is coming from.

Not sure if its going to be the pantry or the root cellar tonight. I'll have to mull it over a bit more...

Anyone have some moose they want to donate to me?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I wonder what impacts something like this might have on the rate of animals being taken. For example, I currently have one permit that I am not going after mostly because I was successful on another permit hunt and my freezer is full. This kind of thing is factored into the number of permits given out to achieve the desired "take" from the herd. If there was suddenly a decent tax break available if I was to go out and fill my otherwise unused permit, I might be tempted to do that, throwing off the rate of animals being taken. I have no idea if there is enough others in similar situations that might do this where it could have an impact on the herds. If there were, they would end up having to adjust the number of permits given out to account for it, resulting in fewer permits available.

I would have to see more about the details to know what the impacts might be. What is the rate of tax break? Could someone come out ahead on the deal or is it something that might just offset a portion of the actual costs of the trip?

I don't know about you but I don't know where my next meal is coming from. It could be from my freezer, frigid or from one of several restaurant we eat at.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I would have to see more about the details to know what the impacts might be. What is the rate of tax break? Could someone come out ahead on the deal or is it something that might just offset a portion of the actual costs of the trip?
    After reading the link on Young's website- I believe the tax break is limited to the cost of the processing with some benefit also going to the processor. In that case it would be hard to come out "ahead" so to speak.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    After reading the link on Young's website- I believe the tax break is limited to the cost of the processing with some benefit also going to the processor. In that case it would be hard to come out "ahead" so to speak.
    The question I have though is how do you figure the cost of processing when you process it yourself? Would you be required to process it commercially if you wanted to get any credit or would they come up with some factor to employ based on processed weight? Maybe this is in the full text of the bill, but I haven't taken the time to read through that yet.

This might clarify things....or not

‘‘(A) IN GENERAL.—In the case of a charitable
    contribution by an individual of qualified
    wild game meat, the amount of such contribution
    otherwise taken into account under this
    section (after the application of paragraph
    (1)(A)) shall be increased by the amount of the
    qualified processing fees paid with respect to
    such contribution.

(B) QUALIFIED WILD GAME MEAT.—For
    purposes of this paragraph, the term ‘qualified
    wild game meat’ means the meat of any animal
    which is typically used for human consumption,
    but only if—
    ‘‘(i) such animal is killed in the wild
    by the individual making the charitable
    contribution of such meat (not including
    animals raised on a farm for the purpose
    of sport hunting),
    ‘‘(ii) such animal is hunted or taken
    in accordance with all State and local laws
    and regulations, including season and size
    restrictions,
    ‘‘(iii) such meat is processed for
    human consumption by a processor which
    is licensed for such purpose under the
    appropriate Federal, State, and local laws
    and regulations and which is in compliance
    with all such laws and regulations, and
    ‘‘(iv) such meat is apparently wholesome
    (under regulations similar to the regulations
    under section 22(b)(2) of the Bill
    Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation
    Act).

(C) QUALIFIED PROCESSING FEE.—For
    purposes of this paragraph, the term ‘qualified
    processing fee’ means any fee or charge paid to
    a processor which fulfills the requirements of
    subparagraph (B)(iii) for the purpose of processing
    wild game meat, but only to the extent
    that such meat is donated as a charitable
    contribution under this section.’’.
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Don Young has been in office about 49 years too long.

And people who are flippant about where their next meal is coming from had best count their blessings, for life can turn on you on a dime.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Young tried this two years ago as well, but not everyone was pleased with the bill:

http://juneauempire.com/state/2011-1...y#.UrFQAjZvzIU

“When the Food Bank of Alaska tells me that 93,000 Alaskans don’t know where their next meal is coming from, there is a real problem,” Young said in a press release.

Fairbanks Food Bank executive director Samantha Kirstein told the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner her organization receives up to two tons of game meat each year and Young’s bill could add to that.

“We would love to grow the program and believe this is a right step in that direction,” Kirstein said. “We need and appreciate traditional meats.”

Most of her wild game comes from nonresident hunters who want to avoid the cost of shipping it home.

The Food Bank sends the meat to Interior Alaska Fish Processors Inc., but a spokesman said much of it is thrown out.

“I’d say 90 percent of the meat we get from nonresidents is inedible,” said Eric Umphenour, who is also a hunting guide. “They put it in those cheap cheesecloth bags and roll it around in the sand. When you roll a side of ribs around in the sand ... by the time you trim it up there’s nothing there.”

He opposes a tax break for out-of-state hunters.

“That promotes sport hunting, I think,” Umphenour said. “I hope that if they do that, it doesn’t apply to nonresidents.”

Resident hunters generally take care of the animals they shoot because they intend to eat them, Umphenour said. State law requires that game meat be salvaged for human consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    This might clarify things....or not
    Thanks, that does help. It does look like they would require you to have it processed commercially if you intended to give it to charity and go for the tax credit.

Many states have programs like this already. It's a state's rights issue. Do we really want more federal government?

Although he makes it seem like a good deal, I know that Bean's Cafe, the Downtown Soup Kitchen, and the Gospel Rescue Mission will all take wild game and as long as its clean, they'll take quarters unprocessed. They weigh the donation and give a reciept for the donation. You could estimate the costs of comparable beef by the weight and that would be the value of the donation which is already tax deductable. Makes me wonder what his angle is, or is he just making up legislation to benefit someone specific that'll generate a significant campaign contribution. Afterall, mid-terms are coming up next year. It's funny how you never hear anything from him until just before election time, and he still manages to run pretty much unopposed and keep his seat. Not saying he's a bad guy, but based on the current state of the Republic, we could use some fresh ideas across the board in our government.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~