Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally pulled the trigger

Default Finally pulled the trigger

Now the wait for spring begins:
    IMG_0146.jpg

We flew down to Juneau to take a look at it over the weekend and ended up spending a bit more than we wanted but I think we got a lot of boat for what we spent. Its a Hewes Pacific Explorer 260 with a single Yamaha F350 and a 9.9 kicker. I really liked the fact that it had the self bailing deck
    IMG_0092.jpg

It already has a Garmin 4210 plotter and a 18HD radar. It has a Airmar P66 transducer on it now but I plan to put my TM260 on it before it hits the water. A few other minor changes but all in all its ready to hit the water. Gonna plan the Ferry trip tonight, March just cant get here soon enough. Its our first ocean only boat and we are really looking forward to spending nights out on the sound like the rest of you instead of sleeping in the Valdez Best Western.

Ron

And a couple pictures of that monster F350 V8
    IMG_0078.jpgIMG_0206.jpg

Congratulations Ronster. Nice ride! Here's to many years of smooth seas and tight lines!

Scott

wow!!
    .looks great!...congrats!!...

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Nice boat! Are you ferrying it to Haines & trailering it somewhere? We did it last April & its a fun trip just take a couple of spare gas cans because there are no gas stations open for long stretches in the Yukon. You are probably better off not having a full tank of fuel when you cross the frost heaves between the border station & Destruction Bay .......although driving out across the tundra hummocks may be smoother
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Default Finally pulled the trigger

I'm going to ferry it from Juneau to Whittier. Means I have to wait till march, but that's ok considering the weather.

Hope to have it in the water for bear season, then I have some work to do out on out new property in 2 moon bay.

Great looking rig. You will have a lot of fun on it this coming season. Look us up in the sound. I'm hoping to be out there for spring bear as well. Once again congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    I'm going to ferry it from Juneau to Whittier. Means I have to wait till march, but that's ok considering the weather.

Hope to have it in the water for bear season, then I have some work to do out on out new property in 2 moon bay.
    The ferry ride from Juneau to Whittier is substantially more than it is to Haines. We towed a Glasply back from Haines a little over a year ago and it was a good trip. Left Fairbanks on a Friday and was home on Sunday night. Our boat was on a twin axel trailer and towing weight was 7200 pounds, we made the tow with a 96 3/4 ton diesel. My partner and I debated having it hauled to Whittier but finally opted for Haines.

It is probably close to 300 miles further to Haines but it was still a savings, I had the wheel bearings on the trailer repacked beforehand, also had a extra hub and tires which we did not need. Hauled two drums of fuel in the back, and filled up in Haines. We did not buy any fuel in Canada.

Total trip expense including the lodging, groceries, fuel and ferry ride from Juneau was $1076.00, $181.00 for the ferry from JUN-HA, $432.00 for fuel, I had my 90 year old father along so we got a room in Haines and also in Beaver Creek on the way back.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Awesome! Congratulations on the boat....I believe that is the one I had been eye bawling for some time before I picked mine up from Tom and Jerry's....Hope to see you out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    The ferry ride from Juneau to Whittier is substantially more than it is to Haines. We towed a Glasply back from Haines a little over a year ago and it was a good trip. Left Fairbanks on a Friday and was home on Sunday night. Our boat was on a twin axel trailer and towing weight was 7200 pounds, we made the tow with a 96 3/4 ton diesel. My partner and I debated having it hauled to Whittier but finally opted for Haines.

It is probably close to 300 miles further to Haines but it was still a savings, I had the wheel bearings on the trailer repacked beforehand, also had a extra hub and tires which we did not need. Hauled two drums of fuel in the back, and filled up in Haines. We did not buy any fuel in Canada.

Total trip expense including the lodging, groceries, fuel and ferry ride from Juneau was $1076.00, $181.00 for the ferry from JUN-HA, $432.00 for fuel, I had my 90 year old father along so we got a room in Haines and also in Beaver Creek on the way back.
    I hear ya. I would just rather not haul an 840 lb motor over all if those frost heaves if I do t have to.

Quote Originally Posted by AK6Pack View Post
    Awesome! Congratulations on the boat....I believe that is the one I had been eye bawling for some time before I picked mine up from Tom and Jerry's....Hope to see you out there.
    Yeah, it's been out there for a couple months. Glad I went down to check it out. I'll be down most weekends, I'm sure we will see you down there.

I hear ya. I would just rather not haul an 840 lb motor over all if those frost heaves if I do t have to.

We considered that, I couldnt help but notice you live in Fairbanks, how do you plan to get the boat to Valdez.......or ya going boating in Harding Lake.....?

Sorry couldnt help it..... I really didnt think the roads were any big deal..............
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

The boat will reside in Valdez. Planning on taking it there directly from Whittier. Kill two birds with one stone when I splash it the first day its here. Off the Ferry at 6, in Valdez by 2, on the water by 2:30.

Awesome!! Can't wait for spring!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Part of the fun is going to be outfitting it. It's got a good start already but there are a few things that I want to do. Looking forward to the LED conversion, rear steering station plotter, new radar arch and putting a forward hatch in.

Part of the fun is going to be outfitting it. It's got a good start already but there are a few things that I want to do. Looking forward to the LED conversion, rear steering station plotter, new radar arch and putting a forward hatch in.
    Don't forget the pot hauler/anchor winch !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Already got it. A carryover from the previous boat

What a boat!

Beautiful boat Ronster!! Congratulations!!!

Thanks guys. I just pulled the trigger on a dingy motor for the 10' zodiac. Picked up a few smaller items and a couple of things to pick up down a west. Other than that, I think I am ready to launch this thing as soon as it arrives on the ferry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast