Thread: Solar power anyone?

Default Solar power anyone?

hi guys, any of you boaters have solar as part of your power structure!.....just finished installing my 2-100 watt panels on the camper for our 3 month trek down into that awesome country you call the "lower states!".....we plan on going "off grid" a bit but would be nice not to use the little Honda if we could get away with it!!........today was thick cloud cover and my amp meter was reading 1300 milliamps! into the battery so that was promising!..i have swiched over most lights to LED so light are "free" from now on!!!...each light now draws 167 milli amps, far cry from the 1.6 amps OLD lights!!...anyway, this is pretty portable so could use it anywhere, was thinking the pilot house--maybe one panel?.....so, any of boaters have panels?...thanks larry

ps oh yah..gonna find some tilt levers and attach then to the panels to "aim" better once we are all settled into a place for a bit!

my batteries were topped up already, so after a bit the charger floated it down to 13.4 amps!...."in theory", I should get about 12-13 amps, but in reality if I get 4-5 amps full sun I will be a happy camper

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

I know my dad has a panel mounted on the back rail of his sailboat, wired in to the battery bank to keep them topped off both during the trip and while at dock. With the amount of daylight we get during the summer, you should get a good amount of power from the panels while out traveling around.

Good job .
    I have solar on my shop trailer and home .
    Primarily I like to say I have a battery bank, and solar is one of the means of charging I use.
    I also have a 600 watt wind milll and other generators .
    Harbor Freight sells some motion sensor LED lights that run on 4AA = 6 volts .
    Sense my battery bank is series 6 volt deep cycle batteries , I ignore the AA batteries in the LED light, and wire from one of the 6 volt batteries .
    They go on and off as I walk through the house, every where but he bed room.

Quote Originally Posted by Arleigh View Post
    Good job .
    I have solar on my shop trailer and home .
    Primarily I like to say I have a battery bank, and solar is one of the means of charging I use.
    I also have a 600 watt wind milll and other generators .
    Harbor Freight sells some motion sensor LED lights that run on 4AA = 6 volts .
    Sense my battery bank is series 6 volt deep cycle batteries , I ignore the AA batteries in the LED light, and wire from one of the 6 volt batteries .
    They go on and off as I walk through the house, every where but he bed room.
    sounds like a great system arleigh!!...if you could make the doors open/close with the sensors you would be on the starship enterprise!!...600 watt wind mill wow, how big is that thing?...full wind are you hitting 30-50 amps?

Cool set-up. If I ever put a hardtop on my bridge I will definately put panels on it.

I'd like to hear more at the end of summer about how it all worked out for you, both the trip and the panels.

I have a little roll-up Brunton panel to charge small things when I am in the backcountry, and so far that is my only experience using solar. I would like to use it more in the future.

The 600 watt wind mil is not all that big . Mine is the same you can get from Northern tool. mine came form Fry's electronics .
    Mine does not put out that much power I don't have enough wind. It is strictly supplemental ,nothing more .
    I only see a few amps in wind gusts over 5-10 mph and a few over 30 but not that often . I don't plan on living here forever.
    It is mounted on my shop trailer about 25' up and braced on the trailer .
    Be sure and read customer reviews on these things it's worth it.
    As for automatic doors ya I'd do that, but the house is too small and crowded with junk.
    And I general leave all my doors open inside the house any way .
    I have toyed though with voice activation on my shop trailer door though .
    I have learned so much playing with solar and batteries that I get my self in a lot of projects . Been teaching a friend about solonoids , he is sorting out the circuits in his dozer . He wants to learn .
    There is an advantage to having access to catalogs in many different fields ,areas one might not otherwise think of on their own. Cross overs from the boating industry and air compressors and snow cats and on and on.
    Like B Franklin said ,I don't know every thing, but I have books.

Quote Originally Posted by SockeyeOne View Post
    I'd like to hear more at the end of summer about how it all worked out for you, both the trip and the panels.

will start to use it in one week!..off to winter in la, tx, ms and ar!..will send in reports how its doing!!..woo hoo--goodbye snow!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arleigh View Post
    Like B Franklin said ,I don't know every thing, but I have books.
    yep, same here==book shelf is getting full!--oh and internet too!!