Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sitka officer charged with wildlife offense

Default Sitka officer charged with wildlife offense

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

That's classy right there......well, at least he has his twenty in so he can retire.....

Only lost the rifles though.....should consider himself lucky.

The article is not totally correct. In PWS (I know - not SE) you can shoot deer from your boat if not under power or still moving from have been under power.

I wonder if he's ever written a ticket for someone else doing the same.......

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    The article is not totally correct. In PWS (I know - not SE) you can shoot deer from your boat if not under power or still moving from have been under power.

It seems to be fairly common for the news outlets to get that regulation confused. Either that, or whoever is reporting it to them is not being very clear with what the regulation really is. I've seen the same, or at least almost identical, statement in other stories when they really did mean the law you referenced where it is illegal when under power or still moving from having been under power.

I don't understand why you can shoot from a boat in Kodiak / PWS and not in SE. This should be uniform, one way or the other.

Here in southeast; atleast in Sitka it is illegal to shoot from a boat no matter if your anchored, engines off, idling, etc. You have to physically have your feet on the beach. They set up a robo deer last year here and busted another person for the same violation. The way I know it, it's illegal to shoot from a boat in Federal water, but not in State waters. Most/if not all the water down here is Federal water. They took away his rifles, but that's only the initial response. He still has to go to court, where they can give his firearms back and/or charge him fines for the violation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    The Wildlife Troopers are the ones setting up decoys and enforcing fish and game laws here; not the police department.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    It seems to be fairly common for the news outlets to get that regulation confused. Either that, or whoever is reporting it to them is not being very clear with what the regulation really is. I've seen the same, or at least almost identical, statement in other stories when they really did mean the law you referenced where it is illegal when under power or still moving from having been under power.
    you can absolutely shoot from a boat in the state of alaska...unit 23/26 caribou. doesnt apply to deer but the article is incorrect in saying that its illegal to shoot from a boat in alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    you can absolutely shoot from a boat in the state of alaska...unit 23/26 caribou. doesnt apply to deer but the article is incorrect in saying that its illegal to shoot from a boat in alaska.
    I didn't say it wasn't legal, just that in many areas, it is illegal to shoot from one that is under power or still moving from being under power. I have just seen multiple news stories in the past where they oversimplified the regulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    Here in southeast; atleast in Sitka it is illegal to shoot from a boat no matter if your anchored, engines off, idling, etc. You have to physically have your feet on the beach. They set up a robo deer last year here and busted another person for the same violation. The way I know it, it's illegal to shoot from a boat in Federal water, but not in State waters. Most/if not all the water down here is Federal water. They took away his rifles, but that's only the initial response. He still has to go to court, where they can give his firearms back and/or charge him fines for the violation.
    It used to be legal in SE AK, so a lot of the old timers still do it. Somebody shot somebody on the beach near sitka, so in a knee jerk reaction, somebody made it illegal to shoot from the boat. And yes, it's complete BS that it's illegal in SE but legal in other parts of AK. It's one law I would like to see changed.

Get out the pitch forks O my god. The only reason anyone gives two ****s is that they state he is a police officer. If it was average joe nobody cares.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”--Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by chansen View Post
    Get out the pitch forks O my god. The only reason anyone gives two ****s is that they state he is a police officer. If it was average joe nobody cares.
    Yeah, well its pretty messed up that a leo doesn't have more integrity than this, and furthermore it seems he is teaching youngsters its ok to break the law as well

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Held to a higher standard? Yes. So how is that wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    And yes, it's complete BS that it's illegal in SE but legal in other parts of AK. It's one law I would like to see changed.
    +1 on this. Agree completely. Apparently I have to spread reputation around before I can give you more points.

I have to ere on the side of the concept of the law here...
    we now have more hunters in that area..
    same, or less, number of deer...
    the law would seem to make it a little more "restrictive" to the easy taking of the resource.

I.E. providing more "viewing" opertunities, and still allowing the harvesting of game...

I firmly agree that each area has it's own special charactistics that make game easier or harder to hunt using traditional methods..

just remember though- one of the traditional methods used to include running ALL of the animals off a cliff using fire or brush beaters.

that would put a large decline in the population today.

But, could you imagine.. showing up to your favorite hunting spot and seeing it burned off...
    and saying to yer self' "dang it, somebody already hunted this cliff, now Ahs got to go find another place to hunt"

Chris

Get out the pitch forks O my god. The only reason anyone gives two ****s is that they state he is a police officer.
    You da*n right.......as a society we "try" and put our faith in these guys to enforce the laws.......not break them. If we can't trust the guy that writes the tickets then who in the hell can we trust...???!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

First offsoutheast is all state waters not federal, with the exception of Glacier Bay.
    Second I can see the reasoning behind the law. shooting from and unstableplatform doesn’t seem like a great idea. I know it can be done but if everyyahoo with a skiff could do it there would be a lot of bullets flying when thesnow hit and more than a couple wounded deer (speaking just for southeast). Also it isn't that hard to get on the beach and shoot a deer, this time of year they don't go far and if your shooting it from a boat your going to have to go to shore anyway.

Those Southeast guys just aren't as good of shots or as careful as the rest of the State.

Seriously, the reason it's done in Kodiak and PWS is because it's been proven over and over that winter kills more animals than hunters. It ups the harvest and trims the herd before starvation sets in and animals get put in freezers instead of rotting on the beaches. There's no reason it couldn't be done in SE either. There is no real safety issue as most of SE is pretty remote. They could have safety zones within so many miles of towns if they are worried. SE has way more deer than either PWS or Kodiak and harvest stats back that up. So some beach hunting isn't going to hurt the herd any more than it does in PWS or Kodiak.

By the way, it's not just something to do after heavy snowfall. I've had good beach hunting in Sept and Oct in both Kodiak and PWS before there was any snow.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    If we can't trust the guy that writes the tickets then who in the hell can we trust...???!!!
    Lawyers and our presidents

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Lawyers and our presidents
    Oh.....you mean ambulance chasers and career politicians?......lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast