Thread: Savage makes a real clunker

Default Savage makes a real clunker

Anyone bought a Savage 93 in 22 mag that will actually feed ammo?

A good friend of mine just bought a brand new heavy barreled, stainless steel model 93 with a ventilated blond colored laminate,thumbhole stock. It's a pretty nice looking rifle. Now only if it were possible to feed ammo from the magazine into the chamber we'd have a dandy gun. However 3 different brands of ammo and three different brand new magazines(2 5 round mags and a 10 rounder) yet it is virtually impossible to run the bolt forward and pick up a round and deposit it in the chamber with any combination of the afore mentioned. Then a quick review via the net on this gun and one has to think that Savage has taken a backward step. My buddy didn't by the only clunker in the bunch, in fact it appears that there are more bad ones than good ones.

Here is the part that I can't and won't tolerate. In the reviews several owners say that they have called Savage and Savage customer service tells them that they are unaware of such problems. I called them myself on behalf of my friend. I got the very same story......won't even recognize that they have a quality control issue. No more Savages here, EVER! So much for trying to buy American. I can't in good judgement even advise him to sell it unless he needs another enemy!

I'm not one for airing dirty laundry but Savage has had many,many complaints about this rifle yet they turn their nose up at the buyer. They had a chance to make it right but buried their head in the sand! Shame on Savage!

BUY a CZ-452 or a CZ-455 and you WILL be ecstatic for ever and ever.

I havenít messed with one but often what you describe is the magazine is hanging too low or too high.
    Since your evidently on your own with it see if you can hold up and down as you feed and find a sweet spot. If you can then the catch needs to be modified to hold the mag in the sweet spot.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

EKC:

I got me one of those Savage 93 guns in 22 Mag. It's a take down version with a short forend, and a Beeg Knob that unscrews to lei it outta the stock.

Looks to me like the only thing holding the 5 rnd magazine in, is tension between the thingy that you pull to release it, and the guide that the magazine slips over. On my gun, it's a tight squeeze, I just push the mag, in all the way, and it stays.

Sounds like a bad PART there to me. If it were me, I YELL at Savage through the Dinga Ling.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Anyone bought a Savage 93 in 22 mag that will actually feed ammo?

A good friend of mine just bought a brand new heavy barreled, stainless steel model 93 with a ventilated blond colored laminate,thumbhole stock. It's a pretty nice looking rifle. Now only if it were possible to feed ammo from the magazine into the chamber we'd have a dandy gun. However 3 different brands of ammo and three different brand new magazines(2 5 round mags and a 10 rounder) yet it is virtually impossible to run the bolt forward and pick up a round and deposit it in the chamber with any combination of the afore mentioned. Then a quick review via the net on this gun and one has to think that Savage has taken a backward step. My buddy didn't by the only clunker in the bunch, in fact it appears that there are more bad ones than good ones.

Here is the part that I can't and won't tolerate. In the reviews several owners say that they have called Savage and Savage customer service tells them that they are unaware of such problems. I called them myself on behalf of my friend. I got the very same story......won't even recognize that they have a quality control issue. No more Savages here, EVER! So much for trying to buy American. I can't in good judgement even advise him to sell it unless he needs another enemy!

I'm not one for airing dirty laundry but Savage has had many,many complaints about this rifle yet they turn their nose up at the buyer. They had a chance to make it right but buried their head in the sand! Shame on Savage!
    Thanks for your post on this. I've always liked Savage rifles but it sounds like they're going down. I think Andy might be on to something. I have a Nylon 66 with the exact same problem, and it is due to a magazine retention issue I can't fix. I think this might be quite common in mag fed guns. I recall a but chewing I got from an old Sgt Maj whenI was a young put snuffy smith for taping two M16 magazines together, end to end. He said the same thing that Andy just wrote: the weight of the extra mag pulls both mags down against the catch and the bolt carrier slides over the bullet rather than feeding it. He also said I had been watching too much "Tour of Duty."

in the end, my lesson learned is I'll never buy another gun with a detachable box magazine. There is just to much to go wrong.

It appears, there is no "catch", on this particular rifle. At least on mine.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Have you talked to Savage about sending it back to there armor for repairs. I would think there would be a recall on this if there are a lot of problems out there.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    I think Andy might be on to something. I have a Nylon 66 with the exact same problem, and it is due to a magazine retention issue I can't fix. I think this might be quite common in mag fed guns. I recall a but chewing I got from an old Sgt Maj whenI was a young put snuffy smith for taping two M16 magazines together, end to end. He said the same thing that Andy just wrote: the weight of the extra mag pulls both mags down against the catch and the bolt carrier slides over the bullet rather than feeding it. He also said I had been watching too much "Tour of Duty."

in the end, my lesson learned is I'll never buy another gun with a detachable box magazine. There is just to much to go wrong.
    The smaller the diameter of the case head the smaller the sweet spot for the mag. 22s are so small a lot of them have some kind of protrusion on the bolt that sweeps into the mag to widen the window. But even so, the back of a 22 case is small . . . I think this is a big part of why most cheaper 22s have tube mags, easer to get every round sitting in the right place.

Iíve seen a lot of guns with the issue but yet to find one I couldnít get running. I imagine there are some out there but so far they have all been fixable, some of the very best come with detachable mags and integral mags definitely have their issues too.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    It appears, there is no "catch", on this particular rifle. At least on mine.

Smitty of the North
    I looked at some pictures. In the front of the mag there is bump that looks like it indexes in a grove in the receiver. On the thing you pull to take the mag out there appears to be catch riveted on, that would be the piece that determines how far into the receiver the mag sits.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I bought a Marlin one time ago, clip feed, (excuse me, make that "Magazine") and it was CRF.

I gave it to a no-count relative, and he lost the clip. (excuse me, make that "Magazine")

Then, it wouldn't load single shot cuz the twin extractors wouln't close over the round.

My brother had it by then, and I sent him, at least two clips (excuse me, make that "Magazine") that I thought might work but IIRC didn't.

Other than that, I've never had a problem with a 22 clip. (excuse me, make that "Magazine") "I" didn't lose it, not my problem, excep to solve, and I failed.

I have 5 clips (excuse me, make that "Magazine") for my Savage, and ONE for my wife's 22 LR

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I looked at some pictures. In the front of the mag there is bump that looks like it indexes in a grove in the receiver. On the thing you pull to take the mag out there appears to be catch riveted on, that would be the piece that determines how far into the receiver the mag sits.
    WHOEEE, I found where it latches. The mags, have a curl on both sides at the rear, and that goes onto a guide, with tension from a flat spring that is full length behind the guide. That flat spring is wider at the bottom and fits over the end of the curls when it's in all the way.

I cawn't describe it, but it's the most ingenious and sturdy method I've seen. It would SEEM to be fool proof. I show you sometime.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I bought a Marlin one time ago, clip feed, (excuse me, make that "Magazine") and it was CRF.

I gave it to a no-count relative, and he lost the clip. (excuse me, make that "Magazine")

Then, it wouldn't load single shot cuz the twin extractors wouln't close over the round.

My brother had it by then, and I sent him, at least two clips (excuse me, make that "Magazine") that I thought might work but IIRC didn't.

Other than that, I've never had a problem with a 22 clip. (excuse me, make that "Magazine") "I" didn't lose it, not my problem, excep to solve, and I failed.

I have 5 clips (excuse me, make that "Magazine") for my Savage, and ONE for my wife's 22 LR

SOTN
    Yup nothing wrong with them there clipymag bullet holder things at all, in fact I like them better than other ways of cat skinnin. They got their issues though, just like everything else does.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I've got it resolved on two of the three magazines. The magazines when inserted like designed have a very distinct catch. You can here it snap into place. With all three of these clips(Smitty I call them clips too and don't care who don't like it)when fully inserted they are tight up against the bottom of the bolt. Not so tight that they rub but about like you would think they should be. The problem is that the bullet sitting in the mag is not point up in the front enough to get into the chamber. I ran the bolt slow, i ran the bolt fast with authority(enough so that I was bending the case) and the bullet couldn't find the hole. They were hitting the width of the bullet low. I reshaped the magazines(I mean clips)on the top end.....bent the lips different so it would allow the follower to sit at a different angle. It will feed ammo with the two five rounders every time now if you don't ***** foot around when your running the bolt forward. Mother was hollering at me something about being cold and there being no more wood in the house or I'da got the 10 round clip fixed too. However the bottom line is that a customer should not have to dick with a brand new gun in order to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    Have you talked to Savage about sending it back to there armor for repairs. I would think there would be a recall on this if there are a lot of problems out there.
    Yup, as stated in my original post! I talked to someone who very poorly represented Savage as have many others and got the same canned answer that they are all getting. We didn't know that we had a feed issue.

If you google "Savage 93 feeding issues" then you can read all day on the topic on every shooting forum out there! Recalls cost companies much money and usually recalls are forced by some regulatory prodding or other outside force. You would think that a hoard of customer complaints would be enough. Guess not!

I will admit that my frustration has been building for a little while. I made a post about the Savage model 25 a short time back and got no replies. I bought the 25 as a truck gun. I gave it to a young farmer for coyote control. Why in the heck would anyone make a rifle in 223 with a clip magazine bullet holding device that holds only three rounds? You had to whack those little three rounders a pretty good lick to get them to stay in the gun. I could have fixed that too. There were other things that I didn't like about that gun too but they were just personal preference an no fault of Savages. The one I handled at the gun show had a laminated thumbhole stock and balanced well. This one had the plastic stock and was very barrel heavy. I should have known that but my bid was low enough that I got to find out first hand.

My Vanguard has a fixed magazine and it holds 6 223 rounds. The first three rounds are just to get the coyote running fast enough to make it a challenge(doink). Doink is what my grandkids say instead of "yeah right".

Our ss savage 17 NMR had feeding issues. I bought several ss mags for it and they also fed poorly. Also bought several blued mags for it and they feed it fine.

good luck!

I recall reading somewhere that there was a batch of magazines with weak springs causing feeding issues..

As to your question about why only 3 rounds,, my guess is because of all the new laws restricting capacity.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/