Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kenai national wildlife refuge

Default kenai national wildlife refuge

posted on their website they opened up to snowmachining in the areas that are traditionally open. now you young pups get out there and break some trail for the old dogs.

http://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/13-5027.pdf

Jim, How have you been doing. I for one missed your adventure posts this year. Stay safe and thanks for all of your wonderful posts that you have made on this forum. Merry Christmas to You. And special thanks for the gift you gave me.

Merry Christmas to you too ! I have been busy with my first grandchild that was born this year. It's about time too I'm old enough to be having the great grands. The baby will be old enough to take in a backpack carrier next year and I outfitted her with one already so we will be hitting the trails next summer. But just some of the shorter ones.

Hi Jim.....Thanks for the reply to my pm. Glad to hear all is/was well and congrats on your first grandbaby! I'm sure she'll be a lucky girl to have you as a grandpa. Glad you're checking in again as we all enjoy your posts and miss seeing them.

Happy Holidays and All the Best....!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Have you had that new snow machine out yet Jim? It's about time for some adventures.

Ha ha! The young pups only break trails brapping up and around sideslopes. We are on our own.

I'd do it if I wasn't stuck on the slope.
    I love riding up to Tustumena as the view is always incredible and it is a fun ride up the winter trail.
    I don't suppose the lake is frozen enough to ride on yet?
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I'd do it if I wasn't stuck on the slope.
    I love riding up to Tustumena as the view is always incredible and it is a fun ride up the winter trail.
    I don't suppose the lake is frozen enough to ride on yet?
    Lower end is froze west of the island ..... don't know how much ice there is.

I'll be busy with work for a while too but right after Christmas I will putt putt down the power line and through the swamps to Nurses Cabin I go...and hang my hat there a couple of days. I miss the sound of the lake making ice and the pain of waking up in a cold cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    and the pain of waking up in a cold cabin.
    Oh yeah.......it's tuff as hell not to miss that......!!!........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Trail Grooming report from the Caribou Hills...looks like they've been busy.

As of 9pm 12/18/13 Trails Groomed

12/16/13 - Lobo Lane from gravel pit to Lost Creek Trail
    12/18/13 - All of Lobo Lane
    12/18/13 - Centennial Trail
    12/16/13 - Lost Creek Trail from Lodge to Straight Inn Trail ...
    12/16/13 - Grand Prix Trail
    12/16/13 - Upper Clam Gulch Trail
    12/16/13 - Gravel Pit Trail from club parking to Straight Inn Trail
    12/18/13 - Clam Gulch Trail to the Sterling Highway
    12/16/13 - Straight Inn Trail from Grand Prix to 4 Corners
    12/16/13 - All of Straight Inn Trail
    12/16/13 - Waterhole Trail from 5th Trail to Gravel Pit Trail
    12/18/13 - 126 – Lobo Lane to Jesse's Trail
    12/16/13 - 5th Trail from 4 corners to Water Hole
    12/18/13 - Jesse’s Trail Bypass to Clam Gulch

Quote Originally Posted by cormit View Post
    Lower end is froze west of the island ..... don't know how much ice there is.
    Are you still seeing lots of open water Cormit ? I fired up the machine and put in a trail from my house to the big swamp and found a little overflow down there under the snow. I think when I come down that way tomorrow or the next day I will take the highway right of way until I get past all the questionable areas to where I will cut in to the winter trail. I can see the Tustumena Bench from my house it looks like fog rolling over from the lake so its appears Tustumena is not froze up.

PC260291 (2).jpg

I guess it will be tomorrow I head out, the forecast is it will warm up a little so that will be a welcome relief. I’m packed, fueled and geared up and fighting off a case of early cabin fever.

If everything works out okay and I make it to the Nurses Cabin I will definitely spend Friday night there. Then plans become blurry…Saturday I will head on up the shoreline and see if I can make Pipe Creek Cabin. Not sure how that’s going to work out, so I booked Nurses cabin and Pipe Creek cabin both for Saturday night in case I have to double back.

If anyone comes in swing on by and say hi, and I’m solo so plenty of room for company if you want a place to stay overnight. Happy trails.

last winter at pipe creek

The winter trail is broke out. Laine and Scott have been hauling stuff from Meyers house up to get ready for the lynx opener. Laine turns off at Shantatlik Creek. Scott and the Veteranarian reported running on gravel to get to the lodge. I also see lots of fog, but can't tell where the ice ends. This cold weather with no wind will help if it lasts long enough. You could sure park your trailer at Larry's house ..... he doesn't mind. It's nice to not worry about it.

Tustumena is like a giant glacier flavored slushie. It was a nice trip and I came out early this morning.

Did you make it to Pipe Creek? How far is there snow on the beach?

Yes I made it to Pipe Creek cabin and spent last night there. There is snow coverage the whole way and though I didn't go further from the looks of it Moose Creek would be possible for people used to riding in marginal conditions. Unfortunately riding the shoreline past Moose isn't an option so a ice shelf would be nice but it hasn't formed yet. I didn't see anybody, but coming back out I saw fresh tracks on top of mine near Bear Creek so somebody did a round robin on Saturday. I found out these longer machines are a little tippier than I'm used to and I need to get the feel for that. I was a quarter mile from Pipe, going very slow, and I went over a rock and couldn't hold it up. Went down on my side and was pleased I still bounce pretty good for a sixty year old. After a coffee and aspirin cocktail I was in fine spirits !

Thanks for the report Jim, with the holiday stuff wrapping up, it's time to get out and do some playing.

Yes I appreciate the report. I may head up that way on the 1ST.
    Haven't had the machines out yet this year so it might be a good first run of the season.
    Especially since I can head out right from my parents place and that is where my machines are currently stored.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

+40˚ and strong wind and rain here on Tustumena Lake Road this morning. This will not be good for local groomed trails into the Caribou Hills or snow conditions in general for the refuge. Also a good chance it will be the second year in a row without Tustumena Lake freezing. It's going to take a serious cold spell at this point to get the lake froze ....... January half gone and no cold weather in sight. Lake trappers have been able to run the beach to Bear Creek without too much trouble ...... that will certainly change after today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast